2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A nice (I think) souvenir of Secaucus, a Bob Dozier KS-3< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2010, 8:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Early Christmas present to myself: I arranged a scheduled trip to get me in range during the Eastern Custom Knife Show there (they've moved out of NYC to protest NY state knife laws as well as some recent enforcement actions).

I know many like micarta but I prefer natural materials and for sheaths as well. Which led to a funny reinforcement of Bob Doziers reported predilection for "working" blades as he gave me some static when I asked about their taking the knife back and fitting it out with one of their leather pouch sheaths (the sheaths, as many may know have to be individually shrunk fit to each blade as no two are precisely alike due to the handwork). "to show off" being the term bandied about. :) Funny remark for someone whose Cocobolo handles (like the one I purchased) are just terrific looking.... I guess that just happens by accident. :D

So anyway with all due respect I set up the order and it arrived today in plenty of time for Christmas!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2010, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even, IMHO, the leatherwork put into the sheath has some aesthetic to it.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2010, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Then, of course, there is the steel and I really like this blade shape.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2010, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice! That's the first good reason I've heard to stop in Secaucus (as opposed to continuing on to whereever you were going that left you no other route).
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2010, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 09 2010, 7:08 pm)
Nice! That's the first good reason I've heard to stop in Secaucus (as opposed to continuing on to whereever you were going that left you no other route).

With it's winding river and tidelands it probably was a really nice waterland at some point a long time ago....  The (Hackensack River) Meadowlands afterall.....

Some of it is reportedly coming back.

Surely but Slowly, Life Returns to Rivers Scarred by Years of Neglect (and Worse)
http://www.nytimes.com/1995....se.html

There was another NY Times article about a reporter traveling a length of the Hackensak with an enthusiast of the river, but I can't find it....
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2010, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 09 2010, 10:47 pm)
There was another NY Times article about a reporter traveling a length of the Hackensack with an enthusiast of the river, but I can't find it....

There was a short PBS documentary on that, produced by either NJN or WNET. I can't remember how long ago, but it's been quite a while.
 Post Number: 7
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2010, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My brother lives in Teaneck and I've walked down to that River and seen Great Blue Herons and all kinds of birds. New Bridge Landing is kind of cool.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 8
NCarolinaHiker Search for posts by this member.
Master's Favorite!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2010, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful work.  I'm jealous!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2010, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NCarolinaHiker-
I'm liking it. An advantage to going to the show (other than more choice in handle materials than the black micarta AG Russell offers or the 16 month wait for a special request from Dozier) was, as is important for hand tools, I was able to feel how a number of his designs felt and fit my own hand so there wasn't any question on that score as happens when I mail order something and for something that costly I'd be nervous doing a decision blind. I never buy kitchen tools without handling them for the same reason and so my "never used" drawer is pretty empty.

The finish is impressive. On all three pieces.

Totally worth I-95. lol
 Post Number: 10
Dornblaser Search for posts by this member.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air ........ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2010, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, that is some knife.  D2 steel?  What are the dimensions of that knife if you don't mind my asking?  I love the blade.   Congratulations on a fine knife.

- David who was just looking at fixed blade Fallkniven's and Bark River knives.

--------------
www.uppermidwestflyfishing.com - fly fishing is my other passion.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2010, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dornblaser @ Dec. 10 2010, 4:44 pm)
Wow, that is some knife.  D2 steel?  What are the dimensions of that knife if you don't mind my asking?  I love the blade.   Congratulations on a fine knife.

- David who was just looking at fixed blade Fallkniven's and Bark River knives.

Sure. here's off his webpage for the specs;
"Overall Length: 9 3/16"
Blade Length:        4 3/4" at 60-61 Rc.
Blade Thickness: .170
Blade Specs:        Full tang construction.
Weight:                6.9 oz. without sheath

A.G. Russell has it with black micarta (which does look very nice in person, I just like wood...) and a different sheath design and their description is a bit fuller as might be expected from more of a sales pitch approach.
http://www.agrussell.com/dozier-professional-guides-knife/p/DKhhhGUI/

I seem to recall somewhere on the Dozier site* the steel is explained. Or maybe Russell's (Dozier worked for Russell in the early '70's IIRC)

Russell lists on their steel chart anyway:
http://www.agrussell.com/Steel_Guide/a/73/

* Added: Found it!

"D2 Steel
The steel Bob uses is D2, which is one of the most outstanding knife steels available today. It is a high carbon, high chrome tool steel which is often used for the steel cutting dies in tool and die shops. With 1.5% Carbon, 1% Molybdenum, 12% Chrome, and 1% Vanadium, this air hardening steel (at 60-61Rc.) takes a razor edge, and holds it!"
http://www.dozierknives.com/index.p....emid=54
 Post Number: 12
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air ........ Ralph Waldo Emerson

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2010, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks.  It's a bigger knife than I thought it was.  I know that Dozier uses D2 steel quite a bit.  It's a semi-stainless so it should develop a nice patina with use.  Again, congratulations on a great knife.

- David

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2010, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's on the larger end of his fieldcraft knives but not excessively so. I was looking for edge* without a lot of mass behind it and this one seemed right. I think the "bigger knife than I thought" speaks to it not being on the massive approach to the subject where a knife (such his ranger) looks massive no matter a scale being shown.

You're right though his designs do seem to tend to smaller blades.

ah, you were asking whether it was D2? [Added Yes, it is, actually stamped onto the tang. ] I think even for his polished "Loveless Style" pretty blades he does for Russell that's what he uses? Nope they seem to be 154CM: at least this one is, so he does use other steels.
Dozier Loveless Style Slim Drop Point with Desert Ironwood
http://www.agrussell.com/dozier-....hh09SDI

* He writes a bit about that oddly enough:
"Bob states, "With few exceptions, I grind blades to have thin edges and thin points. The number one function of a knife is to cut. A thicker edge will never cut or sharpen as well as a thin one. A knife is purchased for a cutting tool, not a pry bar."" off his "About" page.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2010, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

D2 is great steel, particularly for a knife that is going to used.

Yup, a knife is a cutting tool and not a pry bar.  It drives me nuts to see folks batten wood with a knife when a collapsible saw, axe; and, hatchet are the more appropriate tools.  Given that the grind on your knife is primarily a flat grind and not a convex grind, the blade thickness should be a perfect for anything but building Viking tall ships.  

I would be interested in hearing how you like your knife after you have used it for a while.

- David

--------------
 Post Number: 15
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2010, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

An interesting PDF on D2 steel if anyone wants to get into the actual making of the steel from begining to end.

http://www.heattreatonline.com/D2ToolSteelArticle.pdf

--------------
14 replies since Dec. 09 2010, 8:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A nice (I think) souvenir of Secaucus
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions