2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: ROMNEY'S RUNNING MATE< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 11:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Now that Romney has chosen Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin for his running mate, did Romney just shoot himself in the foot?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
yosemitefan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, he shot himself in the crotch.
 Post Number: 3
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lost Florida.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lost many Americans.  Most Americans do vote on their expected Social Security and Medicare coverage.  

IF one accepts that vouchers are the cure for Medicare (pun unintended), then America needs to start the voucher system NOW for everybody.  Waiting for most (but not all) Boomers to get on traditional Medicare doesn't solve the demographic problem and, in fact, kicks the can to Gen X/Y who will need way more inflato-dollars to re-establish traditional Medicare.  

Ryan sells his plan well but it doesn't change the fact that those dollars were spent in Iraq, spent on weapon systems currently pointed at our primary source of shoes and consumer junk, tax breaks for millionaires/billionaires, etc...  .... We need to print up a lot more dollars to pay for it all sooner or later.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 5
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All this talk of shooing

More violent rhetoric from the left :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 6
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

more inane ironic rhetoric from Billbab

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 7
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Didn't Ryan have something to do with pushing through a COMPLETELY UNFUNDED $ 700,000,000,000 expansion of Medicare/Medicaid in 2003 while condemning the ESSENTIALLY FUNDED "Obamacare" in 2010 that has been shown will REDUCE the Deficit despite deceitfull "Republican" assertions to the contrary?

Unless all the racists do show up to vote and all the real Americans don't Romney is as toasted as ever IMO.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Aug. 11 2012, 11:55 am)
Didn't Ryan have something to do with pushing through a COMPLETELY UNFUNDED $ 700,000,000,000 expansion of Medicare/Medicaid in 2003 while condemning the ESSENTIALLY FUNDED "Obamacare" in 2010 that has been shown will REDUCE the Deficit despite deceitfull "Republican" assertions to the contrary?

Unless all the racists do show up to vote and all the real Americans don't Romney is as toasted as ever IMO.

Ryan is also pretty good with the "etch-o-sketch" -- he didn't jump onto the Tea Party wagon until it showed success and started to show some Koch (money).

Again, I'm actually approve of Ryan's selection since Americans really need to decide which system they want to pursue (though Mitt is already starting to backpedal...).  This could be the wisest Republican move since selecting Sarah Palin for the McCain ("...should've won") ticket. :;):

--------------

Post Number: 9
davela Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

romeney/ryan:cannibals cannibalizing America for Wall st.

I read somewhere that Ayn Rand was collecting govt benefits on her death bed and medicare paid her med bills.

--------------

Protect Greater Canyonlands!

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
blueprelude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, perhaps I'm missing something here, but why do you people think Romney shot himself in the foot?

Is Ryan too radical for some people, or something?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(blueprelude @ Aug. 11 2012, 4:30 pm)
So, perhaps I'm missing something here, but why do you people think Romney shot himself in the foot?

No sense in picking someone from the extreme right when the Anti-Obama vote is already completely locked up on that side. The right has been screaming "Anyone but Obama" since the second he was elected, so there was no reason for Romney to try to pander to the base.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It could also be seen as a rally cry that unites the right a bit more.  If the base is more excited about the ticket, perhaps more people will jump on the wagon.  I mean, would you vote for someone who's own party wasn't terribly excited about the idea?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(blueprelude @ Aug. 11 2012, 5:37 pm)
It could also be seen as a rally cry that unites the right a bit more.  If the base is more excited about the ticket, perhaps more people will jump on the wagon.  I mean, would you vote for someone who's own party wasn't terribly excited about the idea?

The right could not possibly be motivated any more to vote Obama out of office. There is literally nothing Romney could have done to lose their votes nor their turnout when they passionately hate Obama and are counting the days until they can vote him out of office. By fully embracing the Ryan plan front and center Romney is going to drive the disillusioned Obama voters who might have stayed home or even crossed party lines back towards Barack. The Ryan selection is going to really help energize the turnout for Obama, which is literally the last thing Romney should have done when the left is so disappointed in Obama. It now gives them a clear reason to show up on election day. Voter apathy with Obama supporters would have been huge for Romney's electability.
 Post Number: 14
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

According to Pul Ryan we are living in an Ayn Rand novel, and he states that Rand, more than anyone else, did a "fantastic job of explaining the morality of capitalism."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmW19uoyuO8

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 15
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Aug. 11 2012, 2:54 pm)
the morality of capitalism

Translation:  It is immoral of you  to attack a system that has benefited ME.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(yosemitefan @ Aug. 11 2012, 2:46 pm)
The right could not possibly be motivated any more to vote Obama out of office. There is literally nothing Romney could have done to lose their votes nor their turnout when they passionately hate Obama and are counting the days until they can vote him out of office. By fully embracing the Ryan plan front and center Romney is going to drive the disillusioned Obama voters who might have stayed home or even crossed party lines back towards Barack. The Ryan selection is going to really help energize the turnout for Obama, which is literally the last thing Romney should have done when the left is so disappointed in Obama. It now gives them a clear reason to show up on election day. Voter apathy with Obama supporters would have been huge for Romney's electability.

Well, I guess we'll find out in a couple months.

I give Romney some credit for having guts, if nothing else.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(blueprelude @ Aug. 11 2012, 2:30 pm)

Gutsy call but probably too much of a right-wing radical for most Americans when it comes time to vote .... but you never know.  The base wasn't terribly excited about Romney but they were probably going to vote for him over Obama regardless.  Should have gone with a more strong centrist IMO, maybe even Rice (hard right but intellectual .. and a black woman to boot) and created all sorts of problems for the Democrats.  ADD: So basically Romney is adding votes of people who were already going to vote for him, while scaring off Reagan Democrats, Independents, etc...

Official Republican policy is vouchers for Medicare and turning over Medicaid to the states.  Well maybe ... I didn't eat Chik-Fil-A even before the controversy, so I'll probably do Ok...  OTOH...

A Republican good ol' boy in Mississippi is probably thinking he really doesn't want Mississippi running his healthcare.

--------------

Post Number: 18
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Aug. 11 2012, 5:01 pm)

(Drift Woody @ Aug. 11 2012, 2:54 pm)
the morality of capitalism

Translation:  It is immoral of you  to attack a system that has benefited ME.   :;):

Capitalism isn't under attack in this election, but Medicare is. The Paul Ryan budget is class warfare writ large -- gut the social safety net while giving more tax cuts to the rich.

I posted the video of Ryan extolling the morality of Ayn Rand because her economic philosophy goes beyond extreme to downright sociopathic.

In choosing Ryan, Romney has tacitly endorsed the Ryan budget proposal. That might please the far-right base, but I don't see this move winning the votes of anyone in the middle (where the election will be won).

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 19
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(blueprelude @ Aug. 11 2012, 6:02 pm)

(yosemitefan @ Aug. 11 2012, 2:46 pm)

Well, I guess we'll find out in a couple months.

I give Romney some credit for having guts, if nothing else.

I don't think it's guts. Completely the opposite. The big cash donors told him to go for Ryan. If he can't win then at elastic keeps the GOP ideologically pure. The tough decision would have been for him to pick a centrist.

Part of me think it's just another example of a mainstream conservative being owned by the extemists, but he more I see Romney, the more I see he has no core whatsoever.

His path to victory lies through keeping the money tap turned on.

Of course I hope it backfires and ends up in them losing the house.

One thing is for sure the extremist words coming out of these two is going to motivate the democratic base.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm, why would the cash donors tell him to choose someone who might reduce his chances of winning?  Or do you think Ryan is an asset?
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Because look at the backers and what they have essentially done to the GOP in the past few years. It's essentially owned by the Koch brothers and they are hard core ideologues.

You've got the reaction to the landslide defeat in 08 which was essentially no compromise on anything ever. You've had the emergence of the extremists and the ousting of GOP moderates.

This is just a reflection of the new GOP. It's interesting how the social conservatives have been shoved aside by the money.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We are all part of a couple of billionaire brothers gameplay to buy America. You know that right? Ryan's vp nod just confirms that.
 Post Number: 23
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, if you guys think Ryan is terrible, looks like Romney made a good choice.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Which epitomizes everything wrong with modern conservatives. More worried about what the libbies are doing than what America is doing.

From our point of view it's a fantastic choice. Best and most extreme choice he could have made. GOP is now running on dismantling Medicare and social security.
 Post Number: 25
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Aug. 11 2012, 11:14 pm)
So, if you guys think Ryan is terrible, looks like Romney made a good choice.

Just like John McCain did four years ago.  :p
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2012, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Aug. 11 2012, 8:41 pm)
Which epitomizes everything wrong with modern conservatives. More worried about what the libbies are doing than what America is doing.

From our point of view it's a fantastic choice. Best and most extreme choice he could have made. GOP is now running on dismantling Medicare and social security.

This is do in part because conservatives stand for smaller government.  Staying out of the affairs of the citizens.

If the liberals are up to something, it usually means they are trying to expand government.

So, keeping the liberals from ruining our lives is what it means to be a conservative...
 Post Number: 27
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2012, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(blueprelude @ Aug. 12 2012, 12:08 am)

This is do in part because conservatives stand for smaller government.  Staying out of the affairs of the citizens.

If the liberals are up to something, it usually means they are trying to expand government.

So, keeping the liberals from ruining our lives is what it means to be a conservative...

Staying out of the affairs of citizens? How many abortion and women's health bills have been proposed over the last 2 years?

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2012, 12:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Conservatives have never stood for small government in this nation, and Ryan doesn't either. Small government is just a code phrase for Social Darwinism while still blowing tons of money on offensive wars and subsidies to private industry. As Chomsky likes to say, tough love and market discipline for you, nanny state for me.
 Post Number: 29
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2012, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a middle of the road moderate.  I will be voting for Romney.  Likely vote democrat for congress.  I am a bit dissappointed with the selection.  I would very much like to have seen Petraeus.    My dissappointment is largely in that I don't see any advantage to this VP nomination.  I prefer canidates with executive experience.  The gov of VA would have been a better choice.  Among others.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2012, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jcb @ Aug. 11 2012, 9:19 pm)

Staying out of the affairs of citizens? How many abortion and women's health bills have been proposed over the last 2 years?

There's a difference between Republicans and conservatives.  I'm talking about conservatives...

And abortion is a different issue.  The government has a responsibility to protect life.  People have differing opinions on the definition of life.
153 replies since Aug. 11 2012, 11:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply ROMNEY'S RUNNING MATE
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions