2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pennsylvania Voter ID emasculated..., ...for the election.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 3:27 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The judge delayed implementation of the law until after the Nov 6 election because, as he said, “I expected more photo IDs to have been issued by this time,” he wrote. “Under these circumstances, I am obliged to enter a preliminary injunction”. Judge Simpson don't know Republicans vewwy well, do he? If only judges watched more Rachel Maddow, then they'd have seen that clip of Pennsylvania state legislator Mike Turzai stating that the new voter id law would assure victory to Romney.

The judgment confusingly still allows poll workers to ask for the id, but not require it to vote.
With a month left before the election, voter ID requirements around the country were looking far less significant than they once had. They have been taken off the table in Texas, Ohio and Wisconsin although the Wisconsin law remains under judicial review. The Justice Department permitted New Hampshire to go ahead with its voter ID law, but those who do not have the required document will be permitted to vote and have a month to verify their identity.

The Pennsylvania law’s challengers said that their focus over the coming month would be to press the state to alter its voter education campaign to make clear that no picture ID is in fact required to vote in the upcoming election.

"Key Part of Voter ID Law in Pennsylvania Is Delayed for Election"
How do Republicans sleep at night?
For a (not entirely updated status) review of state voter id regulations, see:
"Ballotpedia: State by State Voter ID Laws"
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But he didn't block the continued airing and distribution of the warnings that a Photo ID WILL be asked for at the polling place. With zero mention on the television ads or the mailings that while they'll be asked for they won't block the voting of people without (though they may try given the recorded screwups at the DMV offices for people who tried to get IDs).

So they may not block quite so many at the polling booth but they'll still scare off a fair number before they even get there.
 Post Number: 3
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And any that get stopped for traffic violations on their way to the polls will still be required to produce a drivers license

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Oct. 02 2012, 7:36 pm)
And any that get stopped for traffic violations on their way to the polls will still be required to produce a drivers license

Because everyone can afford a car to drive themselves to the polls.  Hell, Romney's wife has two cars, one for each house.  so she can vote twice
 Post Number: 5
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, how many things require a photo ID.....let me see....buy beer....buy cigarettes.....get on an airliner.......purchase a handgun......drive a car.....cash a check.......

What else?  Can anyone list a few more?

Come on guys, help me out a little.....why is a photo ID a problem when it comes to voting but not a problem for everything else listed above?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 6
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, how many things require that you register before you can do it.....let me see....voting....

Come on guys, help me out a little.....why is registration necessary to vote but a problem when it comes to buy beer....buy cigarettes.....get on an airliner.......purchase a handgun......drive a car.....cash a check?
 Post Number: 7
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Billbab @ Oct. 02 2012, 6:36 pm)

(gunslinger @ Oct. 02 2012, 8:22 pm)
Come on guys, help me out a little.....why is a photo ID a problem when it comes to voting but not a problem for everything else listed above?

What I most loath about the right is their abject dishonesty. You are being, at best, disingenuous about these contentions. If you drive a car, you take lessons (maybe), then obtain a license via the state licensing agent. If you find out that you need a "voter id" to vote, you go to the state registration office to get a voter id, but that's not the point, is it? The intent of these "voter id" laws has been, all along, to make it impossible for certain groups of people to vote at all. The Republican party never intended this to be a "fight against voter fraud". It's amazing that any judge anywhere in this country would believe that it was.

Read the first paragraph of that article to which I linked:
A Pennsylvania judge on Tuesday blocked the key component of a highly contested state law requiring strict photographic identification to vote in next month’s election, saying the authorities had not done enough to ensure that voters had access to the new documents.

Oh, surprise, surprise! The state had issued only 13,000 voter ids (for an estimated population of some 1.3 million affected by the law). They hadn’t ever intended to make it easy to vote, even if you were legally entitled to do so.

And later in that same article:
The Pennsylvania judge who ruled on Tuesday, Robert Simpson of Commonwealth Court, had upheld the law in August when liberal-leaning and civil rights groups challenged it. But the state’s Supreme Court instructed him two weeks ago to hold further hearings to focus on whether enough had been done to ensure “liberal access” to the picture ID cards, which are available at driver’s license centers, or alternatives.

And more to the point, Judge Simpson didn’t block the law, he simply delayed it because he felt, after further review, that it could not be implemented in the given timeframe.
Judge Simpson said in his Tuesday decision that the issuing of the new documents across the state had not been fast enough.

“I expected more photo IDs to have been issued by this time,” he wrote. “Under these circumstances, I am obliged to enter a preliminary injunction” preventing the law from being fully carried out. He said there might eventually be a full trial to determine whether the law could be put into effect in a way that did not burden voters.

What Judge Simpson, and apparently you two partisans, don’t yet understand is that the intention of the Republican party all along was to block legal voters from their right to vote.

There’s voter fraud going on in this country, alright, but the Republican party is the only perpetrator of it we can definitely point to. They’re even having problems with their own voter registration outfit in Florida, or didn’t you know?

Election officials across Florida are keeping an eye out for any voter fraud after a voter registration company hired by the Republican Party of Florida may have filed hundreds of fraudulent voter registration forms. The GOP fired Strategic Allied Consultants last week.

http://www.wtsp.com/news....r-fraud
 Post Number: 8
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 11:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Oct. 02 2012, 9:22 pm)
So, how many things require a photo ID.....let me see....buy beer....buy cigarettes.....get on an airliner.......purchase a handgun......drive a car.....cash a check.......

I've done all of those things without an ID.
 Post Number: 9
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had a number of poll workers still asking for ID after our voter ID law was overturned and a lot of confusion among voters and poll workers as to what was needed to verify residency and identity. Causing that kind of chaos is almost as good as outright voter suppression. Perhaps that was the goal all along, the ID laws were always likely to face vigorous legal challenge.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 10
kyle2193 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm for repealing the need to have an ID to purchace a firearm. 2nd amendment and all.

--------------
If I cannot swear in heaven I shall not stay there.
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kyle2193 @ Oct. 03 2012, 6:42 am)
I'm for repealing the need to have an ID to purchace a firearm. 2nd amendment and all.

Me too: just walk up to the guy with the guns once every four years and lay down your money. Just like voting.

People would certainly be much more selective in their purchase that way I'd imagine: fewer plastic-fantastics perhaps.
 Post Number: 12
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Oct. 02 2012, 9:54 pm)
So, how many things require that you register before you can do it.....let me see....voting....

Come on guys, help me out a little.....why is registration necessary to vote but a problem when it comes to buy beer....buy cigarettes.....get on an airliner.......purchase a handgun......drive a car.....cash a check?

Because nobody cares how often you do those things?

If you were only allowed 1 beer then they might feel a need to register you :laugh:

Not so many dead people buying beer!

But all the other things I register, like my car, cost money....at least registering to vote....or getting an ID to vote are free

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 03 2012, 11:06 am)
Me too: just walk up to the guy with the guns once every four years and lay down your money. Just like voting.

People would certainly be much more selective in their purchase that way I'd imagine: fewer plastic-fantastics perhaps.

I don't have to pay to vote.
Free firearms every four years!

--------------
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kyle2193 @ Oct. 03 2012, 12:35 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 03 2012, 11:06 am)

I don't have to pay to vote.
Free firearms every four years!

Always looking for the handout.

Somewhat sad, really. Mitt would dismiss you.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 03 2012, 3:40 pm)

Can't say I would be sad.

--------------
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 16
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No one should be denied access to the polls.  Those without proper ID should have there ballot placed off to the side and not counted.  

Just like a hanging chad, it's the voters responsibility to make the ballot legible and in many states it the voters responsibility to produce a photo ID.

The point of having an  ID is NOT to disenfranchise anyone but rather to guarantee the integrity of the polls.

Why would you want anything else but a fair election?

Oh wait, this is the same bunch that want a tiered tax system....

Or, maybe the poor disenfranchised minorities should be given two votes?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kyle2193 @ Oct. 03 2012, 5:29 pm)

Because you like federal handouts.

Good to know. From one if those moocher Red States perhap?
 Post Number: 18
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 02 2012, 3:32 pm)
But he didn't block the continued airing and distribution of the warnings that a Photo ID WILL be asked for at the polling place. With zero mention on the television ads or the mailings that while they'll be asked for they won't block the voting of people without (though they may try given the recorded screwups at the DMV offices for people who tried to get IDs).

So they may not block quite so many at the polling booth but they'll still scare off a fair number before they even get there.

Well, isnt it a good thing that they "scare away" illegal voters, or people who go from poll to poll to vote over and over again, or to scare away people who vote under the names of 'dead people'?

To think that its unreasonable to expect someone to carry a simple ID is nuts! I use mine every day for Gods sake, and I use it for far less important things than ensuring a clean election!

This nonsense that expecting people to show a friggin' ID is "oppressive" is the dumbest thing I've heard for years! Libs in the MSM were the ones calling for more reputable elections, but when you try to ensure clean elections, they are against it, and they come up with these ridiculous and non-existent claims of "voter suppression". So they bring out 1 or 2 people that "claim" to be "oppressed" by needing an ID, and claim that the system should be kept corrupt to pander to those few people...

If I was a Minority, I'd be furious at the MSM and Dem party's notion that my people are too weak or clueless to get an ID! That notion is so offensive, and the idea that the American people will fall for this is ridiculous.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"In response to the ACLU suit Pennsylvania officials admitted in court documents that they do not have one shred of evidence of significant voter fraud in the state.

There have been no investigations of prosecutions of in-person voter fraud in Pennsylvania; and the parties do not have direct personal knowledge of any such investigations or prosecutions in other states,” according to official state papers sent to the court."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion....IqIKFfP

So the official Pennsylvania position is there is NO detectable or prosecutable fraud anywhere as far as they know. Stated in court submitted legal documents.

So they aren't interested in preventing something that doesn't exist so what is their point? Just collect lots of relatively bad pictures of people who wold like to be able to vote in person?
 Post Number: 20
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People actually think you should be able to vote without an ID?  The only reason one would want this is to have illegal voting take place.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 03 2012, 11:08 pm)

You got me pegged all right...just like you are a bit to thick to catch the mockery. Maybe next time  :cool:

--------------
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kyle2193 @ Oct. 04 2012, 6:50 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 03 2012, 11:08 pm)

You got me pegged all right...just like you are a bit to thick to catch the mockery. Maybe next time  :cool:

Ouch, pinched a nerve there did I?

Sorry about that.

But really you CAN decide to not be a mooching 47%'r, even if Romney doesn't believe  you can surely some one would.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 04 2012, 11:56 am)
\Ouch, pinched a nerve there did I?

Sorry about that.

But really you CAN decide to not be a mooching 47%'r, even if Romney doesn't believe  you can surely some one would.

Yep, pinched my sunglasses nerve  :cool:

--------------
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 24
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CharlesTheHammer @ Oct. 04 2012, 12:33 am)
To think that its unreasonable to expect someone to carry a simple ID is nuts! I use mine every day for Gods sake, and I use it for far less important things than ensuring a clean election!

This nonsense that expecting people to show a friggin' ID is "oppressive" is the dumbest thing I've heard for years! Libs in the MSM were the ones calling for more reputable elections, but when you try to ensure clean elections, they are against it, and they come up with these ridiculous and non-existent claims of "voter suppression". So they bring out 1 or 2 people that "claim" to be "oppressed" by needing an ID, and claim that the system should be kept corrupt to pander to those few people...

If I was a Minority, I'd be furious at the MSM and Dem party's notion that my people are too weak or clueless to get an ID! That notion is so offensive, and the idea that the American people will fall for this is ridiculous.

Oh, please, let's at least all be grown-ups and stop pretending that the voter ID was dreamed up to "ensure clean elections."

Note that it's not just a "simple ID" that was being required nor could they use just any type of "friggin' ID".  The ID had to be government issued WITH an expiration date AND not be expired.  So, my 84 year-old father going to vote with his voter registration card, an expired driver's license (he no longer drives) and his University faculty ID without an expiration date would not be allowed to vote.  THAT's not about ensuring clean elections.

You use a government-issued ID with an expiration date EVERY day?  What for?  I use my work ID everyday to get into my building but that wouldn't qualify as voter ID.  The only qualifying ID's I have would be my driver's license and my passport -- two forms of ID that many, many people don't have.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarpon6 @ Oct. 04 2012, 6:47 am)
People actually think you should be able to vote without an ID?  The only reason one would want this is to have illegal voting take place.

Yet there is NO "illegal" voting (of the voter impersonation type a photo ID is alleged to address, in comparison to absentee ballot fraud which the Republicans seem to be comfortable with as NONE of their laws address that) having been detected. Pennsylvania submitted legal documents stating that to their court.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Oct. 04 2012, 12:34 pm)

(CharlesTheHammer @ Oct. 04 2012, 12:33 am)

Oh, please, let's at least all be grown-ups and stop pretending that the voter ID was dreamed up to "ensure clean elections."

Note that it's not just a "simple ID" that was being required nor could they use just any type of "friggin' ID".  The ID had to be government issued WITH an expiration date AND not be expired.  So, my 84 year-old father going to vote with his voter registration card, an expired driver's license (he no longer drives) and his University faculty ID without an expiration date would not be allowed to vote.  THAT's not about ensuring clean elections.

You use a government-issued ID with an expiration date EVERY day?  What for?  I use my work ID everyday to get into my building but that wouldn't qualify as voter ID.  The only qualifying ID's I have would be my driver's license and my passport -- two forms of ID that many, many people don't have.

You said "lets start being adults", OK, lets start in 3...2...1   GO!

ADULTS carry an ID. They are simple to get. I once had to send off for a copy of my birth certificate 300 miles away from a hospital, and had to send them all sorts of proof before they would send it to me. These days you can do it all online! Thats IF you dont have a birth certificate! If you dont have a computer, go to the library.

Yes, I do use a gov't ID every day, its called a DRIVER's LICENSE. If I go into a bank and show them an ID that it out of date, they WILL NOT cash my check! Am I an "oppressed Victim"? No....

Again, this argument is ridiculous. How many of us DONT have a simple, common, valid ID like a drivers license or a state issued ID? I lost my license once due to my idea of civil protest by not paying what I felt was a bogus speeding ticket. They suspended my license. So I had to WALK to one of several different local gov't departments where I got a state issued ID for like $3.

Why in the world would you not support asking for a simple to acquire picture ID to ensure that ONLY people who are supposed to vote are voting? Is it also "racist" for a convenience store employee to ask for an ID for cigs? Is it "oppressive" for a liquor store clerk to ask for a drivers license? Are bank tellers denying my civil rights by asking for an ID?

For the Dems and the MSM To claim that this is somehow "racist or oppressive" is the most irresponsible use of racial politics! Its just another fabricated wedge issue to create unfounded fears among entire races of people for political gain for the Dems. They do this stuff all the time, and at what point do we finally stop falling for it, and FINALLY realize its BAD for our country and its disgusting!

An ID is something you NEED to live  life as an adult. If this gives people a reason to FINALLY go and get an ID, then its helped them because they will need that ID for MANY other things! You cannot get many basic services without a valid ID, and without an ID you will be seriously inconvenienced unless you are Grizzly Adams living in the mountains off the land!

Besides, the poorest people living in projects, section 8, etc. will definitely be in need of an ID if they are going to lift themselves up and out of that terrible living situation, and I'm sure that Libs will want them to be able to lift themselves out of this lousy situation, right??? If so, then they will NEED an ID to get a decent job to BETTER support their families, and if this is the catalyst that gets them down to get that basic adult necessity, then thats a GOOD thing!

PLus, we will not have DEAD people voting by the thousands any more, nor felons, or other illegal voters. We all do want a fair democratic process do we not?
 Post Number: 27
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

CharlesTheHammer said

PLus, we will not have DEAD people voting by the thousands any more, nor felons, or other illegal voters. We all do want a fair democratic process do we not?

This statement clearly shows you're simply not informed enough to discuss the topic. You're
simply repeating the most inane right-wing talking points that have been debunked over
and over again

http://www.politifact.com/georgia....nomenon

http://www.nytimes.com/2007....ll&_r=0

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories....-645985

So I guess its time to pull out the old "can't believe it because its the 'liberal media'
cared eh"?

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarpon6 @ Oct. 04 2012, 9:47 am)

Yep, and remember when Acorn was shut down, after much voter fraud and bogus registrations, etc? Well, any of those illegal voter couldve(and probably did) go to polling places and vote!

Just because people from the left try and claim that there has NEVER been voter fraud in American history, thats like saying that banks get mostly honest customers who dont withdraw money from other people's accounts, so therefore banks should STOP asking for ID's, and allow ANYONE to come in and take out money!

Also, since MOST liquor store customers arent 16-20 years old, they should STOP asking for ID's when anyone comes in to buy alcohol! Just sell it to everyone!

We know that there has been major voter fraud, which the left has droned on about for years, but now their selective memory has kicked in and they've forgotten about it!

In fact, if expecting any legitimate ID is somehow unfair, then isnt it also unfair to ask these people to go to all the trouble to get themselves all the way down to polling places? Why not just assume that all of them will vote for Dems, and just go ahead and enter a vote for every person alive who makes less than 400K per year? That would be much less "oppressive" than expecting Dem voters to have to "trudge" all the way down to the polling places, how unfair!
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CharlesTheHammer @ Oct. 04 2012, 1:29 pm)

(tarpon6 @ Oct. 04 2012, 9:47 am)

Yep, and remember when Acorn was shut down, after much voter fraud and bogus registrations, etc? Well, any of those illegal voter couldve(and probably did) go to polling places and vote!

There you go again with the Acorn talking points

For once, again back up those statements. Show evidence
of "voter fraud' not "voter registration fraud" using credible
sources.

By the way, I bet you've never heard the name Nathan Sproul have you?

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

CharlesTheHammer said

Again, this argument is ridiculous. How many of us DONT have a simple, common, valid ID like a drivers license or a state issued ID?

The following is before the recent court rulings overturning the voter ID laws

We estimate more than 5 million voters could be affected by the new laws, based on six key numbers.
3.2 million voters affected by new photo ID laws.
New photo ID laws for voting will
be in effect for the 2012 election in five states (Kansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas,
Wisconsin), which have a combined citizen voting age population of just under 29 million.
3.2 million (11 percent) of those potential voters do not have state-issued photo ID. Rhode
Island voters are excluded from this count, because Rhode Island’s new law’s requirements are
significantly less onerous than those in the other states.
240,000 additional citizens and potential voters affected by new proof of citizenship
laws. New proof of citizenship laws will be in effect in three states (Alabama, Kansas, Ten-
nessee), two of which will also have new photo ID laws. Assuming conservatively that those
without proof of citizenship overlap substantially with those without state-issued photo ID,
we excluded those two states. The citizen voting age population in the remaining state (Ala-
bama) is 3.43 million; 240,000 (7 percent) of those potential voters do not have documentary
proof of citizenship.
202,000 voters registered in 2008 through voter registration drives that have now been
made extremely difficult or impossible under new laws. Two states (Florida and Texas)
passed laws restricting voter registration drives, causing all or most of those drives to stop. In
2008, 2.13 million voters registered in Florida and, very conservatively, at least 8.24 percent
or 176,000 of them did so through drives. At least 501,000 voters registered in Texas, and at
least 5.13 percent or 26,000 of them did so via drives.
60,000 voters registered in 2008 through Election Day voter registration where it has
now been repealed. Maine abolished Election Day registration. In 2008, 60,000 Maine citi-
zens registered and voted on Election Day.
One to two million voters who voted in 2008 on days eliminated under new laws rolling
back early voting. The early voting period was cut by half or more in three states (Florida,
Georgia and Ohio). In 2008, nearly 8 million Americans voted early in these states. An esti-
mated 1 to 2 million voted on days eliminated by these new laws.
At least 100,000 disenfranchised citizens who might have regained voting rights by 2012
Two states (Florida and Iowa) made it substantially more difficult or impossible for people
with past felony convictions to get their voting rights restored. Up to one million people
in Florida could have benefited from the prior practice; based on the rates of restoration in
Florida under the prior policy, 100,000 citizens likely would have gotten their rights restored
by 2012. Other voting restrictions passed this year that are not included in this estimate

http://brennan.3cdn.net/77406c5a460b4efedb_ckm6bplup.pdf

--------------
53 replies since Oct. 02 2012, 3:27 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pennsylvania Voter ID emasculated...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions