2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mitt Romney: '47 Percent' Comments, 'Just Completely Wrong'< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 5:30 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mitt Romney: '47 Percent' Comments Were 'Just Completely Wrong'
By KASIE HUNT 10/04/12 11:23 PM ET EDT

FISHERSVILLE, Va. — Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has described his disparaging remarks about the 47 percent of Americans who don't pay federal income taxes as "not elegantly stated." Now he's calling them "just completely wrong."

The original remarks, secretly recorded during a fundraiser in May and posted online in September by the magazine Mother Jones, sparked intense criticism of Romney and provided fodder to those who portray him as an out-of-touch millionaire oblivious to the lives of average Americans. The remarks became a staple of Obama campaign criticism.

Initially, Romney defended his view, telling reporters at a news conference shortly after the video was posted that his remarks were "not elegantly stated" and that they were spoken "off the cuff." He didn't disavow them, however, and later adopted as a response when the remarks were raised that his campaign supports "the 100 percent in America."

In an interview Thursday night with Fox News, Romney was asked what he would have said had the "47 percent" comments come up during his debate in Denver on Wednesday night with President Barack Obama.

"Well, clearly in a campaign, with hundreds if not thousands of speeches and question-and-answer sessions, now and then you're going to say something that doesn't come out right," Romney said. "In this case, I said something that's just completely wrong."

He added: "And I absolutely believe, however, that my life has shown that I care about 100 percent and that's been demonstrated throughout my life. And this whole campaign is about the 100 percent."

Critics of Romney's "47 percent" remarks noted that many of those who don't pay federal incomes taxes pay other forms of taxes. More than 16 million elderly Americans avoid federal income taxes solely because of tax breaks that apply only to seniors, the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center reports. Millions of others don't pay federal income taxes because they don't earn enough after deductions and exemptions.

Acknowledging error is rare for Romney. Asked recently whether his TV ads had strayed from the facts, he said they had been "absolutely spot-on." Fact-checking operations have argued otherwise.

Some conservatives rallied around Romney after the video surfaced, urging him to stand behind the remarks as accurate despite the criticism.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what," Romney said in the video. "There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it."

"Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax," Romney said, and that his role "is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Romney later told reporters at a news conference called to address the remarks: "It's not elegantly stated, let me put it that way. I was speaking off the cuff in response to a question. And I'm sure I could state it more clearly in a more effective way than I did in a setting like that."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 6:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who said Romney was right? Let's see a show of hands!

Do those dittoheads now claim HE is wrong about being wrong?

Next he'll claim he was wrong when he said he wasn't qualified to be president because he overpaid his required tax liability.

If he keeps moving to the left I'll have to change my reasons for not supporting him - he'll become too liberal for me.
 Post Number: 3
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 7:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Initially, Romney defended his view.
Acknowledging error is rare for Romney. Asked recently whether his TV ads had strayed from the facts, he said they had been "absolutely spot-on." Fact-checking operations have argued otherwise.

Some conservatives rallied around Romney after the video surfaced, urging him to stand behind the remarks as accurate despite the criticism.
Romney later told reporters at a news conference called to address the remarks: "It's not elegantly stated, let me put it that way. I was speaking off the cuff in response to a question. And I'm sure I could state it more clearly in a more effective way than I did in a setting like that."

Romney has been criticized as a flip-flopper for so often taking positions opposite of his previous statements, but what needs to be understood here is that whatever comes out of Mitt Romney's mouth is not guided by any sense of the truth, principles, or genuine conviction. He will say anything he thinks is politically advantageous at that moment, and sometimes it trips him up later on.

The question is whether enough voters on November 6 will see him for the bold-faced liar that he is.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've coined a new term -"romemory" - means deadheads that don't remember what Romney said.
 Post Number: 5
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He was absoultely right about the "victims" not voting for him

He was just wrong about lumping the whole 47% together

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 6
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So which mitt did you like babb? The mitt we've been seeing for the last 18months or the one that turned up saying something completely different on Wednesday night?

And maybe you can identify for us, which is the real mitt and which is the lying sack o sh?
 Post Number: 7
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shake shake shake

Shake shake shake

Shake that Etch A Sketch
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Oct. 05 2012, 8:46 am)

What part of "completely" confuses you?
 Post Number: 9
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He was wrong when he thought he was right. We all knew he was wrong, so now he's making a halfassed apology trying to make it right.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll betcha $10,000 he wouldn't be apologizing or admitting that he was wrong if he hadn't been caught on tape and exposed.  I'll betcha $10,000 that if he hadn't been exposed he would still be making those claims to his 50K dinner parties.
 Post Number: 11
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lets see the day after that comment surfaced he double down on it.

Starting from wednesday's debate Romney has finally started the etch sketch.

He denied he had a tax plan that cuts 5 trillion, said his health care coverage covers
preexisting conditions and now he claims he thinks his 47 comment was wrong after doubling
down on it the day after and having Romney Surrogate after Romney surrogate defend him on it.

But you see. When he made that comment he didn't know he was being filmed. Now its a month
before the elections so its time to do more flip-flops and lying but sometimes its not clear
which flip-flops are the lies and which ones are the truth.

Anyone who believes anything Romney says is clearly a dummy,

He just might be the most dishonest politician in modern times

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 12
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know BillBab, you know who I see as the one group that seems to playing the victim the
most these days and perpetually bitching and complaining?  Rich right-wingers and in
particular Rich right-wing billionaires. Perpetually bitching and complaining about how
much taxes they have to pay(despite taxes being as low as they are by a variety of criteria)
and all the parasites and moochers that are supposedly making their life supposedly miserable.
Its disgusting and pathetic as hell.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 13
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Oct. 05 2012, 7:16 pm)

You know BillBab, you know who I see as the one group that seems to playing the victim the
most these days and perpetually bitching and complaining?  Rich right-wingers and in
particular Rich right-wing billionaires. Perpetually bitching and complaining about how
much taxes they have to pay(despite taxes being as low as they are by a variety of criteria)
and all the parasites and moochers that are supposedly making their life supposedly miserable.
Its disgusting and pathetic as hell.

The ones I see bitching the most are the ones who think they're rich. The ones driving cars they can barely afford and maxing out every last credit card so they appear to have more than they really do. They're scared shitless that their house of cards will fall at any given moment which is why they shriek so loudly about the slightest tax increase.
 Post Number: 14
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's that John Kerry syndrome all over again. He was against the 47% before he was for them.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
13 replies since Oct. 05 2012, 5:30 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mitt Romney: '47 Percent' Comments
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions