2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit O, member of the House Science Committee< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 1:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Paul Broun: Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell'
The Huffington Post  |  By Alana Horowitz
Posted: 10/06/2012 10:24 am EDT Updated: 10/06/2012 11:26 am EDT

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012....D216576

Congressman Paul Broun (R-Ga.) said last week that evolution and the big bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of Hell."

"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell," said Broun, who is an MD. "It's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

He continued:

"You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I've found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don't believe that the earth's but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That's what the Bible says."

According to NBC News, Broun's comments were part of a larger speech given at the 2012 Sportsman's Banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, Georgia on September 27th. A clip of the video was distributed by the The Bridge Project, a liberal watchdog group.

Broun is a high-ranking member of the House Science Committee, of which Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) is also a member.

Akin made headlines last month for suggesting that women don't get pregnant from "legitimate rape" because their bodies have "ways to try to shut that whole thing down."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good grief.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Note to self: Do NOT wear beloved Sierra Designs 60/40* Mountain parka in the halls of Congress: this guy may just have some stones stashed under his desk..... and the place is constructed of stone after all...

* Mixed threads, from the same testamen as Genesis eh? (the story not the band).
 Post Number: 4
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is as scary as it gets. What the hell is happening to the Republicans and their anti-science craziness.  Rape victims can autonomously shut down unwanted egg fertilization. Embryology is false. Does he believe in the preformationists theory. Did he form from a homunculus?  We studied these rediculous theories in biology. It was believed a fully formed human existed inside a sperm cell. It was just airing for implantation in the fertile female. How do we send these people to such powerful positions in our government.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The scary thing is that Broun and Akin are on the House Science Committee. How do members who reject science get appointed to the science committee?

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 6
yosemitefan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love this video where Neil DeGrasse Tyson compares our fundamentalist movement to the one in the Muslim world 1200 years ago that transformed the Middle East from the world center of human knowledge and scholarship to a backwater that doesn't make many discoveries anymore. It's long, but his argument is pretty convincing and even more worrying. As one example he discusses how the majority of stars have Arabic names because the Middle East was the world scientific power that discovered them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti3mtDC2fQo
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love Neil. I'd hate to waste such a level headed scientist but, I wish that man would run for office. Who doesn't love Neil.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson....esident

Here is Neil Tyson's comment on running for president.
 Post Number: 9
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Paul Broun is known for making dumbass comments. He once called the civil war the "Great War
of Yankee Aggression."

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 10
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But damn

Paul Broun
Louie Gomert
Michelle Bachmann
Steven King
Virgina FOX
Sarah Palin

Just to name a few

So many right-wing Republican idiots these days

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 11
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did anybody have to read the post in order to find out what party he belonged to?

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 12
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very easy to misinterpret or twist the words from Genesis.
For example for a long time I tried to work out the hidden meaning contained in  this line :
"Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way i walk"
turns out that it is in fact about a guy that earned a living by mowing lawns.
So sometime the literal truth is the correct one.
 Post Number: 13
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He said, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
And the Republicans go
Doo do doo, doo do doo, doo do doo...
 Post Number: 14
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(yosemitefan @ Oct. 06 2012, 1:37 pm)
I love this video where Neil DeGrasse Tyson compares our fundamentalist movement to the one in the Muslim world 1200 years ago that transformed the Middle East from the world center of human knowledge and scholarship to a backwater that doesn't make many discoveries anymore. It's long, but his argument is pretty convincing and even more worrying. As one example he discusses how the majority of stars have Arabic names because the Middle East was the world scientific power that discovered them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti3mtDC2fQo

Thanks for posting this.  

The parallels between the OP and 12th century Islam are frightening.

But on a lighter note, his rant on "stupid design" is hilarious.  

"An entertainment complex in the middle of a sewage system?  No engineer would design that, at all.  Ever!"

:laugh:
 Post Number: 15
yosemitefan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bateauxdriver @ Oct. 06 2012, 6:36 pm)
I love Neil. I'd hate to waste such a level headed scientist but, I wish that man would run for office. Who doesn't love Neil.

If we were talking about Steven Weinberg, Leonard Susskind, Terry Tao, or some other world-class scientist, then I would agree. But Tyson as far as I know isn't; he's an incredible speaker and a phenomenal PR guy and educator, but I'm not aware of any research he is doing that would be anywhere close to as important as having a sane mind in the white house who hadn't sold out.
 Post Number: 16
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Christians read the Bible selectively, some better than others. Not all Christians deny reason and science, but more and more do and that's just scary.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Oct. 07 2012, 8:04 am)
Christians read the Bible selectively, some better than others. Not all Christians deny reason and science, but more and more do and that's just scary.

Which often has a rather large dose of irony as in my experience the most energetic literalists are also the most "selective".
 Post Number: 18
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Oct. 06 2012, 7:04 pm)
But damn

Paul Broun
Louie Gomert
Michelle Bachmann
Steven King
Virgina FOX
Sarah Palin

Just to name a few

So many right-wing Republican idiots these days

The collective IQ of the party is in free fall. Not a critical thinker in the entire party.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 19
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Oct. 07 2012, 6:48 pm)
The collective IQ of the party is in free fall. Not a critical thinker in the entire party.

What about those who vote for them?

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Oct. 07 2012, 7:49 pm)

(Ecocentric @ Oct. 07 2012, 6:48 pm)

What about those who vote for them?

Perhaps the cumulative effects of lead, mercury, ozone and FOX news are leading to a new species of primate. One unburdened by rational thought or any higher brain functions. All they have to do is quote the bible or some founding father, no need for critical thinking.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 21
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, I miss Prosecutor, WB Travis, etc.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Intelligent conservatives always had to deal with opponents on the left, but when they had to face derision from the right, they had less motivation for being outspoken. Check out the right wing posts on this forum, the majority are little more than quotes from bumper stickers, Breitbart, and Beck.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys are sissies..... having to endure some of these bumper-sticker posts is nothing.

My wife is a bona fide Tea Partier, even drove herself from Texas to the Washington D.C. rally.

Pleeeeeze, let this election get over and done with.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 24
kyle2193 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2012, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thankfully, atheism in the US is on the rise.

--------------
If I cannot swear in heaven I shall not stay there.
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 25
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Oct. 07 2012, 10:04 am)

Which begs to question, why do churches sell pumpkins at Halloween time?

--------------
 Post Number: 26
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 7:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kyle2193 @ Oct. 07 2012, 8:56 pm)
Thankfully, atheism in the US is on the rise.

I don't have enough faith to be an atheist. How can anybody know how many gods exist, if any, in this rather large universe?

I just don't believe in obvious nonsense, such as any of the countless religions and other silly superstitions of man.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 27
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a free country and he's allowed to be as wacked out as he wants to be. It's just scary that he was elected. By people. To do a job. That pays money.
 Post Number: 28
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Oct. 08 2012, 9:27 am)
It's a free country and he's allowed to be as wacked out as he wants to be. It's just scary that he was elected. By people. To do a job. That pays money.

AND he's on The House Science Committee.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Panhandler @ Oct. 08 2012, 12:06 pm)

(Marmotstew @ Oct. 08 2012, 9:27 am)

AND he's on The House Science Committee.

Well, why not, that's the party (Republicans) that thought Palin belonged on the ticket as Vice President after all.

#SOlackinginjudgement
 Post Number: 30
kyle2193 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Oct. 08 2012, 7:35 am)
I don't have enough faith to be an atheist. How can anybody know how many gods exist, if any, in this rather large universe?

I just don't believe in obvious nonsense, such as any of the countless religions and other silly superstitions of man.

-Don-

You don't have to have faith to be an atheist, you simply have to admit you don't know.
Their could be a god, their could be a million gods, all I know is there is no evidence for one.

--------------
If I cannot swear in heaven I shall not stay there.
-Mark Twain
61 replies since Oct. 06 2012, 1:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit O
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions