2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Defense Spending< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:07 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Romney and Ryan sure are going to get our Debt under control if they get
elected

Right Romney supporters?

Well lets look at one aspect of this issue: Defense Spending

The following is a graph from Foreign Policy Magazine that compares defense
spending planned under Obama and Romney and since the graph goes back to 1950
its also a comparison from 1950 onward.

Here is the entire article

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts....ncrease

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 4:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Defense spending ended in 1945. It's been offence spending from there forward.

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 3
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone notice the drop in spending during the 90's corresponding to the positive economic times we enjoyed then. The Bush years are a disaster that will take decades to flush out.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bateauxdriver @ Oct. 10 2012, 5:02 am)
Anyone notice the drop in spending during the 90's corresponding to the positive economic times we enjoyed then. The Bush years are a disaster that will take decades to flush out.

That flush out won't happen if Romney gets his was and fulfills his promise to LOCK the defense budget in at a fixed percentage of gap without regard to threats, risks, needs or approaching circumstances as identified by the actual Department of Defense.

This from the same sleezeballs who year after year CUT the security budget of the State Department and now want to exploit the deaths in Benghazi it's arguable THEY set the conditions for.
 Post Number: 5
scroat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd rather see a strong military even if it means I have to eat Top Ramen once a week.
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd rather see a strong military even if it means I have to eat Top Ramen once a week.

Why is that exactly, and please note we don't have a "strong" military, we have a military that dominates the entire planet, and we spend more of our hard earned money on the military than the rest of the industrialized world, combined!!

Why is it that we have such an inferiorty complex, apparently believing that even in today's instant information world someone could gear up and overwhelm us before we could take the necessary steps to successfully defend against any attack that could be launched.

Somehow there is a mentality left over from WWII where we foolishly let Germany and Japan build up large armies without taking any action, and now we are never going to let that happen again, even though it is completely impossible for it to happen in that way.

So we spend ourselves into bankruptcy instead of supporting our own people, especially children and their education, here at home.

So we are setting ourselves up for economic failure by trying to prevent WWII happening again.

What a country!!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I favor a strong military, NOT all of these financially incapacitating wars.  There's a difference.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 10 2012, 9:05 am)

Been to the World Trade Center site recently? How'd that "more than the next seventeen ENTIRE national defense budgets in the universe combined" work out for those thousands of people?

AND we're still building nuclear carrier groups like there's no end in sight to the printing ink. Preparing for that 1916 reprise according to Mitt.

Much like body count: it's not the raw numbers it's having the right things to count. MITT wants just a number.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not convinced 911 wasn't a conspiracy.
I have 0 trust in this government.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 10 2012, 9:42 am)

To what purpose? Bush was going to invade Iraq in any case based on his "mushroom cloud over Manhattan" mantra alongside his desire to protect Israel from any future threat from Hussein, much like Romney has pledged to do for Israel regarding Iran.

Pinning a mass murder on Afghanistan based al Queda delayed and distracted from his goal: totally at cross purposes.
 Post Number: 11
kyle2193 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 10 2012, 12:35 pm)
I favor a strong military, NOT all of these financially incapacitating wars.  There's a difference.

We don't have a strong military. We have an overstretched military that is exhausted from 10 years of wars, littered with deaths and amputees.

If people want to support the military, bring them home. Let them defend us instead of fight endless, pointless wars. One war always leads to another, empires never have peace.

--------------
If I cannot swear in heaven I shall not stay there.
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 12
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scroat @ Oct. 10 2012, 12:42 pm)

Keep government out my medicare.

Keep government out my military.
 Post Number: 13
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FnAskippy @ Oct. 10 2012, 4:07 am)

+1

For all you advocates of a big military, do you honestly think China or Russia will invade us if we cut our spending to that equivalent with those countries? I don't see anyone trying to invade the remainder of the top 15 countries:

Britian
France
Japan
Saudi Arabia
India
Germany
Brazil
Italy
South Korea
Australia
Canada
Turkey

Obviously they're spending enough to keep themselves from being invaded. But I do see that their OFFENSIVE military campaigns (both definitions of the word apply here) cause both military and civilian casualties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....ditures

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 14
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some advocates of reduced military spending argue that we shouldn't be footing the bill to be the world's policeman, especially since this brings us more grief than gratitude.

But are we really "policing" the world to serve and protect weaker nations around the globe, or does our massive military and far flung bases primarily serve our own perceived interests ... and/or the financial interests of the elites of wealth and power who pull a lot of political strings, extract wealth from foreign lands, and are vested in the perpetuation of the military industrial complex?

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 11 2012, 6:17 am)

(FnAskippy @ Oct. 10 2012, 4:07 am)

+1

For all you advocates of a big military, do you honestly think China or Russia will invade us if we cut our spending to that equivalent with those countries? I don't see anyone trying to invade the remainder of the top 15 countries:

Britian
France
Japan
Saudi Arabia
India
Germany
Brazil
Italy
South Korea
Australia
Canada
Turkey

Obviously they're spending enough to keep themselves from being invaded. But I do see that their OFFENSIVE military campaigns (both definitions of the word apply here) cause both military and civilian casualties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....ditures

Yet Romney beats that drum of international intervention and larger military budgets at a rate FIXED to a percent of gdp (4%) so effectively out of any control or oversight: just spend to the dollar goal.
 Post Number: 16
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Been trying to find an article I saw this past week, the Army want's to delay upgrading Abrams tanks for 3 years, say the don't need them and it will save 3 billion $$$.  Congress is fighting the delay, the upgrades are performed in Lima Ohio but the cutbacks would affect workers in over 20 states.  The defense industry has done a great job in spreading the work around.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Oct. 11 2012, 9:39 am)
Been trying to find an article I saw this past week, the Army want's to delay upgrading Abrams tanks for 3 years, say the don't need them and it will save 3 billion $$$.  Congress is fighting the delay, the upgrades are performed in Lima Ohio but the cutbacks would affect workers in over 20 states.  The defense industry has done a great job in spreading the work around.

Sigh. Overly obscure subtle title strikes again...

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....2260884

"Army to Congress: Thanks, but no tanks"
 Post Number: 18
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More guns, less butter?

Let them eat cake!

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 19
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Oct. 11 2012, 5:53 pm)
More guns, less butter?

Let them eat cake!

Why not a stack of flapjacks with a pad of butter and syrup?

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 20
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Oct. 11 2012, 7:04 pm)

(Hungry Jack @ Oct. 11 2012, 5:53 pm)
More guns, less butter?

Let them eat cake!

Why not a stack of flapjacks with a pad of butter and syrup?

flip-flop-flapjacks with butter and government cheese!

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 21
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 11 2012, 9:17 am)
Britian
France
Japan
Saudi Arabia
India
Germany
Brazil
Italy
South Korea
Australia
Canada
Turkey

Obviously they're spending enough to keep themselves from being invaded.

They don't need to spend money on defense, they'll just come to us if needed.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 22
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 3:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Oct. 11 2012, 11:01 pm)

Britian
France
Japan
Saudi Arabia
India
Germany
Brazil
Italy
South Korea
Australia
Canada
Turkey

Ain't that the truth.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Oct. 12 2012, 12:06 am)

Britian
France
Japan
Saudi Arabia
India
Germany
Brazil
Italy
South Korea
Australia
Canada
Turkey

Ain't that the truth.

IIRC George H.W. Bush set that precedent up with Kuwait: we were basically charted by Japan and Germany to regain their access to oil they depended on: paying us billions in "support" of our military operation.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 12 2012, 12:15 pm)

(cgaphiker @ Oct. 12 2012, 12:06 am)

Britian
France
Japan
Saudi Arabia
India
Germany
Brazil
Italy
South Korea
Australia
Canada
Turkey

Ain't that the truth.

IIRC George H.W. Bush set that precedent up with Kuwait: we were basically charted by Japan and Germany to regain their access to oil they depended on: paying us billions in "support" of our military operation.

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need?

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The entire GOP defense spending is a weird one to me. The only reason I can see is to boost defense contractor campaign donations. I haven't seen too many conservatives demanding to ramp it up the way Romney is proposing - most appear tired of the endless wars.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Oct. 12 2012, 3:33 pm)
The entire GOP defense spending is a weird one to me. The only reason I can see is to boost defense contractor campaign donations. I haven't seen too many conservatives demanding to ramp it up the way Romney is proposing - most appear tired of the endless wars.

Virginia is a swing state with a lot of defense-related jobs.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 12 2012, 3:46 pm)

I can see that. It's the scale that's weird to me - all while pushing an ideological push against the scale of government.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Oct. 12 2012, 5:02 pm)

I can see that. It's the scale that's weird to me - all while pushing an ideological push against the scale of government.

Maybe the 47% should be forced into military service... a Republican's dream.

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 12 2012, 5:09 pm)

And with that big a military....  well you can't have them sitting around doing nothing can you.
 Post Number: 30
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Oct. 12 2012, 4:28 pm)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 12 2012, 5:09 pm)

And with that big a military....  well you can't have them sitting around doing nothing can you.

Bomb Iran!  Yeeeeeee-haw!!!

Since we're winding down our current round of crippling quagmires, we're due for another here pretty soon.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
35 replies since Oct. 10 2012, 1:07 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Defense Spending
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions