2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Atheism on the rise< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kyle2193 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 7:05 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling

http://www.pewforum.org/Unaffiliated/nones-on-the-rise.aspx

I think Obama is secretly an atheist, but is just putting on a show for political purposes.
I wonder how long until we have an openly atheist president?

--------------
If I cannot swear in heaven I shall not stay there.
-Mark Twain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder how long before we have a President that believes in the one true God.  

To date, they might as well have all been atheists because none have gotten it right.  Not their faults though, probably mostly attributable to being indoctrinated as children into believing Satan's book depicts the one true God.

But maybe the day will come when a person running for office can finally say "I believe in the one true God but you don't."
 Post Number: 3
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually that poll showed unaffiliated people on the rise.  Still quite a large portion of those believe in a god.  

Atheists and agnostics were still below 4%, each.  

Anyways.  An atheist president?  Highly doubtful, for a very long time if ever.  I remember seeing a poll where atheists were the least "favored" minority in the country - below even homosexuals, muslims, puppy kickers, and sheep shaggers.  I'll see if I can find it.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Atheism has grown by 50% in the last 5 years. Agnostism has seen a slightly larger growth during the same period. That is a far greater rate than any other group.

--------------
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 5
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kyle2193 @ Oct. 10 2012, 5:29 pm)
Atheism has grown by 50% in the last 5 years. Agnostism has seen a slightly larger growth during the same period. That is a far greater rate than any other group.

Ah.  Well good!

I want to start an investment club for atheists, to come up with ideas for Christian businesses.  

My first idea is "Cheesus" brand cheese curls.  Each in the shape of the cross.  

Post Number: 6
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Oct. 10 2012, 5:20 pm)
Anyways.  An atheist president?  Highly doubtful, for a very long time if ever.  I remember seeing a poll where atheists were the least "favored" minority in the country - below even homosexuals, muslims, puppy kickers, and sheep shaggers.  I'll see if I can find it.

OK here we go

"Answering the question, “This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society,” atheists are rated the highest, named by 39.6% of respondents, followed by Muslims at 26.3% and gays at 22.6%. In a similar vein, 47.6% of respondents would disapprove of their child marrying an atheist, while only 33.5% would disapprove of marrying a Muslim."
 Post Number: 7
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kyle2193 @ Oct. 10 2012, 7:05 pm)
I think Obama is secretly an atheist, but is just putting on a show for political purposes.

Like Lincoln and Jefferson?
 Post Number: 8
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Oct. 10 2012, 8:20 pm)

The latest survey, from June, found that 54 percent of those asked said they would vote a "well- qualified" atheist into the Oval Office— the highest percentage since Gallup began asking the question in 1958, when only 18 percent said they would back a nonbeliever.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news....1
 Post Number: 9
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 3:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Oct. 10 2012, 5:31 pm)
My first idea is "Cheesus" brand cheese curls.  Each in the shape of the cross.  

That's just too cheesy, IMO.

-Don-  Reno, NV

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 10
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK.  I admit most of my ideas so far involve cross-shaped food products (what about "Little Jesus", cross-shaped pizza?  Free order of loaves & fishes with a large pizza?)

What about christian databases?  Not a database with christian data in it...regular databases created in a christian way.  I don't really know what that means yet, except that you can't access it on Sunday, and it would ask you for money a lot.
 Post Number: 11
N2theWild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Oct. 12 2012, 11:49 am)
 I don't really know what that means yet, except that you can't access it on Sunday, and it would ask you for money a lot.

Sounds more like a government database.

Oh wait, they don't ask...

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 12
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kyle2193 @ Oct. 10 2012, 4:05 pm)

Wow...that is just an astonishingly ignorant comment.  Heckuva job, Kyle.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Oct. 12 2012, 12:09 pm)

(kyle2193 @ Oct. 10 2012, 4:05 pm)

Wow...that is just an astonishingly ignorant comment.  Heckuva job, Kyle.

Enlighten me then, Tom.

--------------
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 14
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Oct. 12 2012, 8:57 am)

(orygawn @ Oct. 12 2012, 11:49 am)
 I don't really know what that means yet, except that you can't access it on Sunday, and it would ask you for money a lot.

Sounds more like a government database.

Oh wait, they don't ask...

Since I am stuck at the DMV today, I'm going to totally agree with you.  

Just today.

Savor the flavor.    :laugh:
 Post Number: 15
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The world must be getting smarter.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
14 replies since Oct. 10 2012, 7:05 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Atheism on the rise
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions