2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Climate Change & The Election< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bhuebner Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 9:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, the last debate is just starting and I'm thinking there is no way they are going to hit on climate change. I realize it is about foreign policy but my point is really about the whole campaign. Neither side ever seems to talk about climate change. why? Everyday it seems the evidence mounts higher and higher. Thoughts?

Brian
Www.trailpotato.com

--------------
Brian
TrailPotato
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Each side is confident the ones that think like they do will vote for them, so it is of no consequence to mention.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Romney doesn't want to mention, as he so succinctly put it, "an industry that kills people"? And it would be hard to avoid coal fired electrical generation of electricity in any discussion of greenhouse gasses.
 Post Number: 4
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

American politics has less to do with addressing the real problems and more to do with addressing the idiotic misconceptions.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 4:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ol-zeke and Ecocentric sum up my feelings exactly.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 6
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 7:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obama didn't mention it because of his green energy failures.

Romney didn't mention it because he didn't have to.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 7
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Oct. 23 2012, 7:14 am)
Obama didn't mention it because of his green energy failures.

Romney didn't mention it because he didn't have to.

Sounds like Rush had you prepped before the debate even took place.
 Post Number: 8
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

#4 offers an explanation
#6 gives an example to support it
 Post Number: 9
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check your local TV PBS listings, new Frontline program.   Was on in our area last night.  Massive behind closed doors run manipulation campaign of misinformation that has corrupted our political system and is pulling along an army of willing ignorant morons.  Reflection on the current sad state of our political system.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/climate-of-doubt/

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 10
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Oct. 25 2012, 11:24 am)
Check your local TV PBS listings, new Frontline program.   Was on in our area last night.  Massive behind closed doors run manipulation campaign of misinformation that has corrupted our political system and is pulling along an army of willing ignorant morons.  Reflection on the current sad state of our political system.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/climate-of-doubt/

I didn't see it yesterday, but watched the whole thing over my lunchbreak here.  Thanks for posting it.

That's depressing.  Not surprising at all, but depressing.  And you can see the fallout of it all right here in our forum posters.  Hope no one here owns beachfront property in N. Carolina.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 11
craigwill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The climate deniers belief system is no different than their religion. Their beliefs are entrenched in distorted information and myths. A political campaign would be expending precious energy and dollars in a futile effort. Any mention of the issue would also bring on an avalanche of more distortion propaganda from the fossil fuel industry. Terribly sad, but true.

Despite the incredible number of wildfires across the country attributed to a warmer planet, it would take a solitary burning bush speaking in a deep voice and biblical verse to get any traction on this issue.

I think the Obama campaign prefers to go after ground they might have a chance at taking and allocates its resources and focus accordingly. And the Romney campaign just doesn't recognize it as an issue.
 Post Number: 12
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not all that surprising given that the same people base their regligion on a zombie who was dead for three days after being born to a mother who didn 't have sex.

After that, you can believe almost anything!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Oct. 25 2012, 5:05 pm)
It's not all that surprising given that the same people base their regligion on a zombie who was dead for three days after being born to a mother who didn 't have sex.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 14
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Oct. 25 2012, 2:05 pm)

I may not buy into political manipulation, spinning, mistruths, misinformation, nor have much respect for those who swallow such information gullibly but to make the connection between such people and  Christians in general as you spewed is just juvenile name calling.  

Though atheists can take such pot shots on free for all boards like this, one only needs to reflect how there are a long list of web sites and many respected books where one can read about the results of prominent atheists debating with Christian apologists in serious university settings and see at worst the two viewpoints are draws.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some thoughtful responses and some not so thoughtful ones... I like to believe either side of the issue can be articulated without insults. Any hoo, Ironically, I just caught a little segment on public radio about this very topic. What I heard indicated that Mitt believes the earth is indeed warming but he isn't so sure that humans cause it. In the soundbite they played he went on to say that it isn't justified then to spend billions on it.

So, my question is this. What if we take the actions that are advised by those who believe it is human caused... and it turns out that the non-believers are right? Would all that money be wasted or would those same actions lead to other benefits such as cleaner air and energy independence? And what if we do nothing and are wrong? What is the cost of that? Would we even be able to do anything to correct our mistake in that scenario?

BTW- public radio is going to do a piece tomorrow on why Obama isn't talking about it.

--------------
Brian
TrailPotato
 Post Number: 16
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bhuebner @ Oct. 25 2012, 5:04 pm)
So, my question is this. What if we take the actions that are advised by those who believe it is human caused... and it turns out that the non-believers are right? Would all that money be wasted or would those same actions lead to other benefits such as cleaner air and energy independence? And what if we do nothing and are wrong? What is the cost of that? Would we even be able to do anything to correct our mistake in that scenario?

Sigh.  I appreciate the sentiment, and I suppose it's a fair question, but lemme just get one thing clear.  The science isn't getting any weaker on it, despite the right-wing spin by well-funded groups like the Heartland Institute.

As for the exact consequences of it... some are easier to predict (sea-level rise) than others (hurricane frequency & severity), but the overall message is clear.  It's happening and our actions cause a very large portion of it.  There are more lines of evidence on the basic fundamentals than any rational, intelligent human being could doubt.

And just for the record, I didn't form that opinion from audio or web soundbites.  I just got back from a scientific talk by Chris Landsea (NOAA, National Weather Service & Nat'l Hurricane Center in Miami) about this very topic (Global Warming and Hurricanes).  Most of my advising committee is heavily involved with the top-level science on glaciology and sea-level rise.  The science has accepted the fact of anthropogenic global change (climate and otherwise) and has moved on toward trying to make better predictions and more accurate measurements.  The only ones still waffling about whether it's happening are politicians and talking heads, funded by industries willing to dump tons of money into spreading doubt and denial for their own short-term profit.

I don't mean this response to be pointed at you... I do appreciate the post.  It's just frustrating to hear that this is still the debate folks are having.  "Is it happening?  Do we have anything to do with it?"  Argh.  The talking heads are continuing to win.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 17
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Oct. 25 2012, 4:43 pm)
 It's just frustrating to hear that this is still the debate folks are having.  "Is it happening?  Do we have anything to do with it?"  Argh.  The talking heads are continuing to win.

I don't know that the talking heads are continuing to win.  If they are, it's less and less every year.  Eventually, even the most stubborn amongst us will accept reality.  With the possible exception of a few flat-earthers.
 Post Number: 18
craigwill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Over the last 5 years, I've been helping manage a renewable energy advocacy group here in Florida. The last few years, we actually made a deliberate decision not to mention climate change in our lobbying efforts with the Florida legislature. The reason was that the heavily tea-party-controlled Republican majority would scoff at any mention of climate change and immediately label the presenter as  some kind of liberal heretic and his proposals not worthy of consideration. We decided there were plenty of other solid arguments for renewable energy that would speak to conservatives on what should be their own turf - economic growth, national defense, correcting trade imbalance, energy independence, etc. The Democrats were already on board with our proposals so there was no need to persuade them. But what we came up against was a hard-core ideology that is intent on shutting down government and allowing a laissez-faire economy to rule. If there happens to be any kind of crisis looming, whether it be resource depletion, environmental degradation, or an economic collapse, they would just as soon let the "free market" take care of it. They just don't recognize the problem or the idea that people working together through their government is how large, common problems are addressed.

I can't begin to tell you how discouraging the last 5 years have been. Even when a vast majority of Floridians favor state-supported renewable energy programs, the tea party manages to block every attempt to establish them:

http://cleanenergyflorida.org/
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Before Superstorm Sandy hit this exchange inspired me to expand my thoughts on my TrailPotato blog. Coincidentally, it was scheduled to be published this morning and is now up. If you are interested in checking it out click here and let me know what you think.

--------------
Brian
TrailPotato
 Post Number: 20
muttpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I happen to believe that there IS a religious component to the deniers.  I can distinctly recall, from my own religious indoctrination, being told that the Earth was put here for humans.  The animals are for us.  The trees are for us.  The water and air are here for humans.  Given that kind of rhetoric, it's easy to understand why a devoutly religious person would deny that the actions of humans can have a destructive effect on something created by an all-powerful deity.

I don't mean to suggest that there is any church that is going out of its way to dissuade its flock from recognizing that humans DO affect the planet in tangible, and in many cases, permanent ways.  But I'm sure they exist.

When faith and science are in conflict, faith wins.  There's little doubt that that's the case.  Otherwise there'd be a lot more atheists.  And, by the same token, we must recognize that a lot of the willingness to ignore science, among doubters and deniers, comes from their faith.  Whether it's being preached directly or not, it's likely that the devout will refuse to admit that we're capable, as a species, to ruin something created by their god.

To paraphrase Blues Traveler:  "perhaps Earth is heaven and we did not know what a clever hell we could make.   whoops!"

--------------
Ignorant is temporary.  Stupid is permanent.  Choosing to be ignorant is stupid.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I happened to be in Madison, WI this weekend with today off from work. When we got there we learned that Obama and Bruce Springsteen were going to be doing a rally. We were lucky enough to be able to go and it was reassuring to hear Obama talk about the environment, climate change and the fact that there is work to be done. I would still like to be seeing it get more attention but it does seem to have gained some momentum post Sandy.

Oh yeah, Springsteen delivered once again! No Surrender, The Promised Land and The Land of Hope and Dreams. Can't wait to see him in St Paul next week.

Red or Blue... go vote tomorrow!

--------------
Brian
TrailPotato
 Post Number: 22
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://billmoyers.com/episode....mocracy

Obama needs a push

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 23
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Nov. 18 2012, 5:21 pm)

The pressures going to build as his party looks ahead to the next cycle I expect. Not that I anticipate all that much reluctance.
 Post Number: 24
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I watched Ken Burns episode #1 of "The Dust Bowl" last night. Frightening. Sobering. Tragic.

Ought to be mandatory viewing for every American.  Especially those who'd like to wait for more evidence of how humans can impact weather.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did not watch much of it.  It did remind of a book on GW. It tried  to show what might be the impact for each degree © increase in GW.  One interesting thing which you could see in that movie, is most of the west has a thin layer of soil on top of what used to be sand dunes.  Once that soil blows away due to global warming it is all over - just one big desert, and people won't be able to just move to CA like they did during the dust bowl.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The man-made ecological cause of the Dust Bowl (which I watched last night) was the destruction of the native buffalo grass that covered the plains. This grass evolved to cope with the low average precipitation, periodic severe droughts, and high winds. The roots extended deep into the ground and managed to hold some mositure below the surface.

Busting that sod and replacing the native grass with crops of wheat essentially destroyed the capability to hold moisture and soil in place during drought & high winds. In the 1890's those conditions temporarily ended large scale attempts to farm the region, but 20 years later a wet period ensued that made it possible, for a number of years, to sustain intensive wheat farming. Mechanized farm machinery made it possible to convert hundreds of millions of acres.

It was an ecological time bomb and a man-made disaster.

Not unlike global emissions of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere today, except the consequences of APGW will be much more widespread.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the beginning of the show stated the same thing. Since I did not watch the whole show, I did not want to say there wasn't a GW impact.  Perhaps Old Frank mean't the the dust bowl affected the weather not the other way around. I think the dust bowls traveled to Chicago maybe even DC.

The book I was reading was saying that global warming would affect this country more than some realize.  I forget now how much temperature rise was estimated to cause the soil to blow away (no matter what it is planted in?).

--------------
26 replies since Oct. 22 2012, 9:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Climate Change & The Election
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions