2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: ELECTION NEWS 2012, Cast your latest updates here...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:20 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The day is here!  By this time tomorrow, you won't get any more political solicitations or calls or mailings for at least another two months! :D

As the day unfolds, it's nice to have a place to collect news and updates.  Not much has happened yet at 10:19am ET (8:19 here in CO), so right now the latest polls still tell the story.  Here's a good Washington Post summary of electoral predictions made by various sources.

But as the votes are tallied, the polls and the pundits become irrelevant (something I'm very thankful of still in our system).  As things unfold in Presidential, House or Senate races, feel free to post the news as it comes!

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In our Congressional (H of R) race, the Democrat sued the Republican campaign to have all ballots impounded. This was yesterday... BEFORE voting even began. The circus has come to town!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My favorite prediction of the day so far, from a political cartoonist made mention of in the LA Times: :D

“Obama will reveal he IS the alien lizard king when he unhinges his jaw and swallows Romney whole. While horrified, most people will admit Mitt had it coming.”

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Nov. 06 2012, 8:35 am)
In our Congressional (H of R) race, the Democrat sued the Republican campaign to have all ballots impounded. This was yesterday... BEFORE voting even began. The circus has come to town!

I wonder if we can demand a recount.  Now.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's something to play around with especially as tallies start to come in.  You can play with your own electoral college map, assigning a "winner" in various states to see how the electoral votes play out and who wins given your own predictions:

http://www.270towin.com/

Even before the tallies start up, you can inform your choices by the current polls in each state at RealClearPolitics.  Click on a state to see all the most recent polls there.

Just a heads-up.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 6
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Vote for best comic

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 7
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Early tea-leaf reading:
Big hints from CNN, which usually is the first to show exit poll data: racial composition of the electorate very similar to 2008, so no super-boost in white voting...And then there’s this pro-Obama surprise, via Think Progress: under-30 vote similar percentage of vote as in 2008.

Always take exit polling with a grain of salt, and take it for what it's worth.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NH is one state that allows registration on election day.  I see they have set the policy that anyone in line when the polls close will have their vote counted and included.  Good for them.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heavy turnouts in battleground states in particular.  This seems like it would favor the Ds, and some of the Senate races are trending that way.  If Fl continues its current trend, it will be blue, and the path to victory for RR will be nearly non-existent. (Ohio looks to be going blue as well.)  

BTW, I found the RR signs quite telling, as they closely resemble the Rolls Royce trademark.

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------

Post Number: 11
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2 independents in the Senate seems like just a start.  Maybe one day the Senate will have 3 parties.  Yes, I know those 2 are expected to caucus with the Ds, but given any real numbers would make them more powerful.  

--------------

Post Number: 12
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Watching the numbers in Florida on Politico is pretty interesting.  The lead is switching back and forth every 10 minutes or so.
 Post Number: 13
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where do the GOP go if these results hold up? Four years of attempting to destroy America in the hope of making Obama a one termer, and they appear to have gone absolutely nowhere despite what would appear to be a weak position for the incumbent.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Nov. 06 2012, 7:41 pm)
Watching the numbers in Florida on Politico is pretty interesting.  The lead is switching back and forth every 10 minutes or so.

Florida is surprising as hell to me right now.  I'd all but chalked that up in the Red column before tonight.  With 87% of the vote in it's less than a 0.5% margin.  If that goes Obama, it'd be damned near impossible for Romney to pull it off in the big picture.  Still time to watch though.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Florida is looking strong for Obama right now.
 Post Number: 16
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tea party Sen. Scott Brown (MA) and Rep. Joe Walsh (IL) have lost...
 Post Number: 17
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only counting left in Florida seems to be in the heavily Democratic Miami areas according to CNN, so likely Romney won't win Fla. with 29 electoral votes.

Then again, it's Fla.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Nov. 06 2012, 8:32 pm)
Then again, it's Fla.

Hanging chad recount, anyone? :D

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 19
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Nov. 06 2012, 8:31 pm)
Tea party Sen. Scott Brown (MA) and Rep. Joe Walsh (IL) have lost...

Looks like Akin and Mourdock were legitimately ____ed, losing to McCaskill and Donally respectively.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 20
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Floridians have reportedly rejected an anti-Obamacare initiative.

Hmmmm.

ETa: the person who wrote this just became the Junior United a States Senator elect from Massachusetts: "It is impossible to buy a toaster that has a one-in-five chance of bursting into flames and burning down your house. But it is possible to refinance an existing home with a mortgage that has the same one-in-five chance of putting the family out on the street – and the mortgage won’t even carry a disclosure of that fact to the homeowner. Similarly, it’s impossible to change the price on a toaster once it has been purchased. But long after the papers have been signed, it is possible to triple the price of the credit used to finance the purchase of that appliance, even if the customer meets all the credit terms, in full and on time. Why are consumers safe when they purchase tangible consumer products with cash, but when they sign up for routine financial products like mortgages and credit cards they are left at the mercy of their creditors?"

And the Pubs were happy to stiff arm Warren out of her agency appointment? LOL
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So far (with 36% reporting), it's looking like marijuana may actually end up fully legal for adults in CO, regulated like alcohol.  53-47% for/against so far.  Too early to tell for sure yet.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 22
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 06 2012, 10:28 pm)

(orygawn @ Nov. 06 2012, 7:41 pm)

Florida is surprising as hell to me right now.  I'd all but chalked that up in the Red column before tonight.  With 87% of the vote in it's less than a 0.5% margin.  If that goes Obama, it'd be damned near impossible for Romney to pull it off in the big picture.  Still time to watch though.

If Obama wins Florida, it's over. There is no scenario where Romney could win at this point if he loses Florida.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good news, I liked her style.

@politicoroger: Tammy Duckworth, Iraq veteran and double amputee, wins election to Congress as Dem from Illinois.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OHIO!
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry haters. Better luck next time.
 Post Number: 26
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey! Where's gunslinger? I got something I want to say to that POS.

That guy has been talking crap since 2009. We need to get all those guys here in one group and pee on 'em. I've had just about enough wine at this point...
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No no gabby, they deserve our thanks. These extremists are as much behind this result as anyone. Their disgusting bigoted views have made their party of choice all but unelectable.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Slinger will probably respond by letting his damn horse sh*t on federal land and then refusing to pay the two dollar camping fee because he "already pays enough in taxes."
 Post Number: 29
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Despite all the efforts Republican put to circumvent the change in our beloved country's demographics with
their despicable voter suppression tactics combined with all the advantage Republicans had in super pac
money, Republicans not only lost the presidency(again) but it looks like they  may lose big in the Senate as well.
So what I'm trying to say is the support for Obama and the Democrats over Republicans is probably even greater
than it seems

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 30
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Watch out for the popular vote.  If Romney wins it, the right wing will howl.  It will be their shield against accountability and self-reflection.
83 replies since Nov. 06 2012, 10:20 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply ELECTION NEWS 2012
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions