2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: This guy has a HUGE future ahead of him< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 1:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well he already does but especially now

in 2008 he predicted every state correctly for Obama except Indiana

and this year it looks like he predicted every state(we will have to wait on Florida to know for sure)

his detractors sure made fools out themselves.

Oh and BTW for those who don't know who that is that is Nate Silver

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At the very least, his models will get a good bit of attention the next election cycle.  As for how (or if) that'll affect strategists on either side?  Remains to be seen.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
botanist Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cute
 Post Number: 4
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow. If people can predict the election then we shouldn't need to vote and can spend the 6 billion dollars on beer.
 Post Number: 5
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know a lot about Silver, but he was among the few geniuses who helped usher in sabermatrics as a tool for managing baseball clubs, completely threatening the "old guard" culture of scouting and other subjective evaluation of talent. This is well described in Michael Lewis' Moneyball, a highly entertaining read. Silver's PECOTA system is a performance forecasting tool that takes into account statistical performance, age, injury, and other measurable factors.

Silver's decision to handicap elections is huge threat to a lot of highly paid blowhards on both sides of the spectrum. The world will be a better place with guys like him who can help separate fact from fiction.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 6
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was interesting overall how accurate(outside of Rasmussen and Gallup) the polls actually were.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 7
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Nov. 07 2012, 2:34 pm)
I don't know a lot about Silver, but he was among the few geniuses who helped usher in sabermatrics as a tool for managing baseball clubs, completely threatening the "old guard" culture of scouting and other subjective evaluation of talent. This is well described in Michael Lewis' Moneyball, a highly entertaining read. Silver's PECOTA system is a performance forecasting tool that takes into account statistical performance, age, injury, and other measurable factors.

Silver's decision to handicap elections is huge threat to a lot of highly paid blowhards on both sides of the spectrum. The world will be a better place with guys like him who can help separate fact from fiction.

+1

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
6 replies since Nov. 07 2012, 1:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply This guy has a HUGE future ahead of him
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions