2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Great article on political landscape, by David Simon, Producer of The Wire< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 9:26 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Barack Obama and the Death of Normal.

David Simon's a great writer and producer; his series, The Wire is one of the best things I've seen.

Excellent article.

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.

Some of the more salient points:

The America in which it was otherwise is dying, thank god, and those who relied on entitlement and division to command power will either be obliged to accept the changes, or retreat to the gated communities from which they wish to wax nostalgic and brood on political irrelevance.

Never mind Obama. If Romney had won this election, our government would be just as broken. It is the legislative branch that remains an epic systems failure.

We are all the other now, in some sense. Special interests? That term has no more meaning in the New America. We are all — all of us, every last American, even the whitest of white guys — special interests. And now, normal isn’t white or straight or Christian. There is no normal

--------------
Summon the Minions!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

His new series is "Treme". It is about New Orleans after Katrina. Worth checking out. "The Wire" is some of the best stuff ever on TV.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is a great piece. I think he nails the single most important difference between the parties:

You want to lead in America? Find a way to be entirely utilitarian — to address the most problems on behalf of the most possible citizens. That works. That matters. Last night, it mattered just enough to overcome the calcified political calculations of men who think that 47 percent will vote against them because they are victims, or that 53 percent are with them because the rest of us vote only from self-interest and without regard for the republic as a whole. It was a closer contest than common sense and the spirit of a truly great nation should dictate. But unless these white guys who have peddled “normal” for so long — normal as in racial majority, normal as in religious majority, normal as in sexual orientation — unless they have a hard moment of self-reflection and self-awareness, well, it will not be this close again.

Whether you agree or disagree with the Democrats on any given issue, on the whole they really are trying "to address the most problems on behalf of the most possible citizens".  I don't think anyone can say that about the Republicans.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
3 replies since Nov. 08 2012, 9:26 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Great article on political landscape
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions