2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cast your vote....or not?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:49 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Should the federal government control the voting process (voting days, number of polling places, and voter reg etc) when it comes to elections involving congress and the white house?

Discuss.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There has to be oversight and control over it.  Not that it doesn't need improvement currently, but I don't know if privatization of the system would do better.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I personally do not have the answer, but people standing in line for 8 hours is ridiculous.
I cast my ballot within 15 minutes on election day. There were 8 machines available for my semi rural district. There are huge urban districts that have less machines than that. A federal standard for polling capacity vs population may need to be set. Certainly a minimum number of early voting days would be preferable.
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Control? No, but have established national standards for access, enforced national standards? Absodamnlutely.

Those wait times were both an embarrassment and an offense to our nation.

Locals can screw up their dogcatcher elections all they want but NOT the United States Congress and President of the United States.
 Post Number: 5
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bateauxdriver @ Nov. 13 2012, 11:37 am)
I personally do not have the answer, but people standing in line for 8 hours is ridiculous.
I cast my ballot within 15 minutes on election day. There were 8 machines available for my semi rural district. There are huge urban districts that have less machines than that. A federal standard for polling capacity vs population may need to be set. Certainly a minimum number of early voting days would be preferable.

+1 to both of these ideas.

ETA: Also, too: elections should not be in the hands of partisan operatives from either party. State and local elections offices should have to be non-partisan.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

e-voting like they have in "E-stonia"* might be the route to the future. Though aggressively promoting vote by mail would be a step in the right direction. Voting for their director of solid waste management they could still stand in lines for, of course.

* I heard they sometimes refer to themselves just that way being just that proud of their modernity.
 Post Number: 7
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, you bloody well better vote - AND for RR

http://www.ksdk.com/news....ice-say

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"A Mesa man is in critical condition after his wife ran over him with her Jeep because she was upset he didn't vote in the presidential election and feared her family would suffer with President Obama's re-election, Gilbert police said Monday."

Wow, just wow.
 Post Number: 9
kyle2193 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Washington state is entirelly vote by mail.

--------------
If I cannot swear in heaven I shall not stay there.
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oregon is Vote by Mail, also.

Vote by mail is the easiest way to deal with long lines.  All they need to do is get a signature from every voter so it can be compared to the one on the envelope the ballot is returned in.  Then the long line or the wait for the count is over.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 11
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Nov. 13 2012, 2:17 pm)
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Goodie:
"Article. I., Section. 4.

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators."

Such a fun game!
 Post Number: 13
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buddero @ Nov. 13 2012, 3:15 pm)

Some of the craziest chit I've ever heard!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and provinces?

Article XI. Canada acceding to this confederation, and joining in the measures of the united states, shall be admitted into, and entitled to all the advantages of this union: but no other colony shall be admitted into the same, unless such admission be agreed to by nine states.
 Post Number: 15
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buddero @ Nov. 13 2012, 2:15 pm)

And I thought that mandatory voting Down Under was hard on folks...
 Post Number: 16
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 6:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't agree with voting by mail being the exclusive means to cast your ballot.  I know the condition that some of my mail arrives in and how late it sometimes arrives.  I'd much rather have the option to just go to the polling station on election day.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 17
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had vote by mail in Colorado...I miss it

But trusting our electoral process to the USPS does sound a little crazy

Of course some states are more screwed up than others

http://washingtonexaminer.com/week-la....qIWhUeO

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Nov. 14 2012, 2:22 pm)

Trusting our election process to partisan local government election officials sounds a lot nutser if you a ask me. The USPS might have it's competence issues but they don't have a specific partisan political axe to grind as far too many local election agency types have demonstrated they very much do have. So ballots would be folded, spindled, mutilated, burnt, drowned and just plain lost on a non-partisan basis... more fair and balanced, which is the goal after all. Just ask Mr. Murdoch.
 Post Number: 19
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is an option in Oregon to drop off your ballot enclosed in the envelope at one of several drop sites.  No need to trust the USPS if you don't want to.

We also have several weeks to vote, and if you do so early, you can check to see if they received your envelope.  They keep a list of who has already cast their ballot, and it is available to campaigns so they stop calling people who have voted.  Individual voters can check with the clerk's office to make sure their ballot was received, as well.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 20
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 14 2012, 6:18 pm)
There is an option in Oregon to drop off your ballot enclosed in the envelope at one of several drop sites.  No need to trust the USPS if you don't want to.

We also have several weeks to vote, and if you do so early, you can check to see if they received your envelope.  They keep a list of who has already cast their ballot, and it is available to campaigns so they stop calling people who have voted.  Individual voters can check with the clerk's office to make sure their ballot was received, as well.  

Ok, explained that way I can get behind a plan like that.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 21
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 14 2012, 5:31 pm)

(BillBab @ Nov. 14 2012, 2:22 pm)

Trusting our election process to partisan local government election officials sounds a lot nutser if you a ask me. The USPS might have it's competence issues but they don't have a specific partisan political axe to grind as far too many local election agency types have demonstrated they very much do have. So ballots would be folded, spindled, mutilated, burnt, drowned and just plain lost on a non-partisan basis... more fair and balanced, which is the goal after all. Just ask Mr. Murdoch.

Sounds a lot like the abuse that the "butterfly ballets" got from voters during the 2000 election in Florida.   :p

Florida couldn't have screwed up the process any more in 2012. FloriDUH!

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wore those chads down to nubbins that's for sure.
 Post Number: 23
geophagous Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Vote by mail is the way to go.

In Washington we are even easier than Oregon.  In Oregon you have to have your ballot IN by 8pm on election day.

In WA you only have to have it POSTMARKED by election day.  I got my ballot several weeks prior to election day so even if your mail arrives weeks late you can STILL have plenty of time to vote.

No lines at all and you can drop off in locations so no need to trust the postal service.

The only disadvantage is that it takes about a week for all the ballots to get counted, with fewer and fewer making it in the latter it is.  So if you can wait a few days for the results you don't need to wait at all for the voting process.

This eliminates all issues with people not having time to vote, getting to polling places, waiting in lines.  And for those who like it, it is also MUCH cheaper than voting in person!

A win for everyone!!!!
 Post Number: 24
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the deadline of 8 PM on Election Day.  It allows all of the results to be known within a few hours of closing, with the exception of really tight races where those very last votes might make a difference.

Don't think I would like it to wait 3-4 days for the tally to be clear, as in Florida where it is 48 hours, I think.

--------------

Post Number: 25
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Texas we had about 2 weeks of early voting, in the 15 largest counties about 70% of the votes were cast in this time period.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 26
geophagous Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are talking about possibly making a change in the WA law about when the votes need to be in by given how long it takes to get the votes counted.

But I would like to keep it this way.  Does it REALLY matter if we wait a week to find out who won it if allows MORE people to vote?  I procrastinate as bad as anyone, but I was still able to get the ballot into the mail a few days prior to election day ;)
 Post Number: 27
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Nov. 14 2012, 3:22 pm)

Ummmm.  I'm not sure if you no longer live in CO (and hence miss it), or you're thinking we don't have that anymore.

I voted by mail in CO this year.  So did my wife.   Colorado mail-in ballot application (You can ask for a mail-in ballot when you register, or update your registration at any time.)  I mailed mine USPS... my wife dropped hers off in person at a staffed drop off location the day before the election.

Come election day, I just got to sit back and watch it all be tallied.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 28
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rep. George Miller (one of the real good guys in Congress, IMO) is introducing a bill mandating (for Federal elections) a) 15 days of early voting and b) resources in every precinct to allow for no more than one hour wait times for voting.  I don't know any other details (e.g., will there be funding?), but this seems like a good start.

Probably doomed in the GOP House, but still worth giving it a try.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 29
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 14 2012, 3:18 pm)

Yup.  We avoided the USPS too, by going to a special dropbox.  Voted a week early.  

Didn't know you could check, too.  Cool.  I trust the system, so I probably wouldn't do that...but nice to know.  

Every election, I scratch my head at these voting fiascos in other states.  Voting by mail does take away that community/civic pride element of going to the polling place...but that is really just nostalgia.  What's important is just getting it done.
 Post Number: 30
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

As much as I hate them, I'm all for deadlines. After months of campaigning, I think that it is reasonable to expect an accurate count by a certain date. Long lines to vote should be criminal. A cut off date for mailed ballets should allow time for the votes to arrive, and a safe and reliable system of e-voting should resolve many issues.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
29 replies since Nov. 13 2012, 7:49 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cast your vote....or not?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions