2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Four African teens invent a urine powered generato< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Four African girls have created a generator that produces electricity for six hours using a single liter of urine as fuel.
The generator was unveiled at last week's Maker Faire in Lagos, Nigeria, by the four teens Duro-Aina Adebola, Akindele Abiola, and Faleke Oluwatoyin, all age 14, and Bello Eniola, 15.
So how exactly does the urine-powered generator work?
Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out the hydrogen.
The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.
The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.
And as for delivering the fuel itself? Well, we'll leave that up to the consumer.
The Maker Faire is a popular event across the African continent, drawing thousands of participants who travel to Lagos to show their inventions and other practical creations.
As the Next Web describes it, the Maker Faire is intended to highlight creations "that solve immediate challenges and problems, and then works to support and propagate them. Put another way, this isn't just a bunch of rich people talking about how their apps are going to change the world."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs....29.html

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Nov. 13 2012, 9:01 pm)
Four African girls have created a generator that produces electricity for six hours using a single liter of urine as fuel.
The generator was unveiled at last week's Maker Faire in Lagos, Nigeria, by the four teens Duro-Aina Adebola, Akindele Abiola, and Faleke Oluwatoyin, all age 14, and Bello Eniola, 15.
So how exactly does the urine-powered generator work?
Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out the hydrogen.
The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.
The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.
And as for delivering the fuel itself? Well, we'll leave that up to the consumer.
The Maker Faire is a popular event across the African continent, drawing thousands of participants who travel to Lagos to show their inventions and other practical creations.
As the Next Web describes it, the Maker Faire is intended to highlight creations "that solve immediate challenges and problems, and then works to support and propagate them. Put another way, this isn't just a bunch of rich people talking about how their apps are going to change the world."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs....29.html

won't be long now before I start getting those emails from saying "I have a patent for urine fueled generator worth 700 billion dollars but the Nigerian government won't let me export the product unless I have a citizen of the US as a partner...."
 Post Number: 3
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now, if they could just reduce the size of the thing a bit, I'd be able to carry a laptop and a flat screen TV with me. Well, the screen would have to be thin and capable of rolling up into a cylinder I could fit into the side pocket of my SUL pack.

...And there's all that water I'll need for "fuel"...so I'd need a copious supply of water near camp...and something to increase urination a bit, assuming I'll be "solo" - alcohol? I wonder if this thing works well with any fluid processed by the human urinary system? What happens if you eat broccoli with dinner? Asparagus?
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Urine in an "electrolytic cell which separates out the hygrogen"...and the electricity that is requred to complete this process "electrolysis" is free?

This implies that there is more potential energy in a liter of piss than gassoline/.

I imply that this is BS...and I'm not the only one

http://motherboard.vice.com/2012....nerator

http://www.nbcnews.com/technol....6956099
 Post Number: 5
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 7:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lamebeaver
I imply that this is BS...and I'm not the only one

It would be nice if really worked though.
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hydrogen powered generators are far from new. The problem is the necessary power for electrolysis exceeds the generator output.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe they should make a dirigible that uses hydrogen.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why play the Nazi card? Just why?
 Post Number: 9
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder how long they sat on this invention before reveling it to the world.
8 replies since Nov. 13 2012, 9:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Four African teens invent a urine powered generato
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions