2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Montana legislator asks to be paid in gold< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 9:53 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A Republican state legislator in Montana who once supported U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) for president is asking to be paid in gold and silver coins to guard against a collapse of the dollar.

State Rep. Jerry O'Neil (R-Columbia Falls) wrote to the state's Office of Legislative Services on Friday making the request, noting that concerns among his constituents about the national debt have prompted him to ask for payment in gold and silver coins "that are unadulterated with base metals." O'Neil, who is entering his sixth term, had not objected previously to being paid in dollars by the state for his services. Politico first reported the story on Tuesday.

"My constituents, when I went door to door, one of the things they were interested in was the $17 trillion national debt," O'Neil told The Huffington Post. "Some of my constituents said we would not have this problem if we had currency backed by gold."

(The Department of the Treasury, as of this writing, gave the U.S. federal debt as $16.2 trillion.)

O'Neil said these concerns inspired him to look into ways to best protect the people of Montana, and he felt the use of gold to pay his salary and possibly other state bills would be one solution. O'Neill backed Paul in his presidential campaign, one platform of which was a return to the gold standard.

In his letter to the state, O'Neil said that he believes that accepting gold and silver coins for his salary would allow him to fulfill his obligations to the U.S. Constitution as a legislator.

O'Neil wrote:

It is very likely the bottom will fall out from under the U.S. dollar. Only so many dollars can be printed before they have no value. The Keynesian era of financing government with debt appears to be close to its demise.
If and when that happens, how can we in the Montana Legislature protect our constituents? -- The only answer I can come up with is to honor my oath to the U.S. Constitution and request that your debt to me be paid in gold and silver coins that will still have value when the U.S. dollar is reduced to junk status. I therefore request my legislative pay to be in gold and silver coins that are unadulterated with base metals.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012....61.html

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder if my employer will pay me in alpacas?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm betting that a space tug will bring back a solid gold asteroid 500' across before this wing nut gets paid in gold. California used to be called the land of fruits and nuts, but I think the nuts have moved to the Idaho/Montana border. I trust Keynesian economics more than the capricious nature of precious metals that we haven't yet found.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 4
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well he won't be getting paid in gold and silver to be sure. Regardless of whether or not the gold standard is superior to Keynesian economics.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I expect he could set up a direct deposit system with whatever gold seller O'Reilly is pimping for these days.? Get some nice pants along with....
 Post Number: 6
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder how many of these gold bug types are aware that when we were on a strict gold standard, depressions were a regular occurrence in the US.  And if they do know, is that really what they want to go back to?

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Nov. 14 2012, 10:14 am)
I wonder how many of these gold bug types are aware that when we were on a strict gold standard, depressions were a regular occurrence in the US.  And if they do know, is that really what they want to go back to?

Much like those moronic secessionists who will no doubt want to keep their United States citizenship and haven't quite twigged to the fact they just gave their names and email addresses (before you can sign a petition you have to establish a validated account with Whitehouse.gov) to the very government they want to commit treason against.
6 replies since Nov. 14 2012, 9:53 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Montana legislator asks to be paid in gold
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions