2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Would you fight for your state or the remnant US?, In a post secession civil war?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the secessionists were to secede.  Were a second American civil War to develop, who would you take up arms for? Your state or the remnant United States?  There is no neutrality, you must decide to fight or be conscripted by who controls the land under your feet.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd fight for the legally elected president of the United States and the Constitution of the United States. I took that oath.
 Post Number: 3
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bateauxdriver @ Nov. 14 2012, 10:00 am)
If the secessionists were to secede.  Were a second American civil War to develop, who would you take up arms for? Your state or the remnant United States?  There is no neutrality, you must decide to fight or be conscripted by who controls the land under your feet.

I'm an American.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 4
kyle2193 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would you rather fight one horse sized or a hundred duck sized horses?

--------------
If I cannot swear in heaven I shall not stay there.
-Mark Twain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The whole notion is so ridiculous that it doesn't even bear mentioning.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure all of this speculation about fighting in case of secession by a few states (or individuals?) is only spurred on by the remake of "Red Dawn"...
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it's ironic that the secessionists are ideological cousins of the same people who ran the HUAC and the blacklist.  When in power, they would destroy anyone disloyal to the system. Out of power, they would destroy the system itself if they couldn't control it.
 Post Number: 8
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 7:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 15 2012, 2:08 am)
I think it's ironic that the secessionists are ideological cousins of the same people who ran the HUAC and the blacklist.  When in power, they would destroy anyone disloyal to the system. Out of power, they would destroy the system itself if they couldn't control it.

+1 for that spot-on insight

McCarthyism was nationalism taken to a paranoid extreme, instigated by power-hungry politicians and supported by followers too blinded by ideological rhetoric to see that their own freedoms were being imperiled under the guise of freedom.

The same yahoos who screamed treason at anyone who disputed GW's case for invading Iraq and flew United States flags from their pickup trucks are now ready to abandon the USA because ... well, basically because they believe all the BS ideological rhetoric spewed by Fox news, AM talk radio, and "conservative" politicians in the service of an emerging plutocracy.

Useful idiots, little different than Russians who unwittingly aided the Bolsheviks in their rise to power.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 9
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 7:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Nov. 15 2012, 2:04 am)
I'm sure all of this speculation about fighting in case of secession by a few states (or individuals?) is only spurred on by the remake of "Red Dawn"...

I agree. The first "Red Dawn" was a great movie. I can't wait to see the remake.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Nov. 15 2012, 12:04 am)

I wish someone would make an equally cheesy liberal version of Red Dawn, with brave and noble liberal insurgents fighting the right wing cabal that took over America through voter suppression and the right-wing activist courts.

If nothing else, it would at least have the virtue of a more realistic premise.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 15 2012, 12:08 am)

Exactly right, and very well put.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the 1850's most Americans wouldn't have believed a civil war that would take 600,000 lives was brewing and would become reality in the early 1860's.

So one really never knows. But clearly America is very different today from recent decades. The democrats control the governorship and both houses in 14 states, the republicans in 23 states, so one party rule is growing.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 13
Mudinyeri Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bateauxdriver @ Nov. 14 2012, 1:03 pm)
I'd fight for the legally elected president of the United States and the Constitution of the United States. I took that oath.

What if the two are at odds?

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mudinyeri @ Nov. 20 2012, 2:04 pm)

(Bateauxdriver @ Nov. 14 2012, 1:03 pm)

What if the two are at odds?

The Constitution provides a legal mechanism for removing a president who violates his oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution. It's called impeachment.

And no, conservative interpretations  of the Constitution to the effect that certain government programs and/or longstanding practices are unconstitutional do not  "constitute" impeachable offenses.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let secession happen. Then we have no more red state-blue state issue internally.

Lets call their bluff.
 Post Number: 16
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Nov. 15 2012, 8:16 am)

(big_load @ Nov. 15 2012, 12:08 am)

Exactly right, and very well put.

History recalls dictatorships springing from both the ideological right (e.g. fascists) and the ideological left (e.g. communists).

Better that we as citizens educate ourselves, think for ourselves -- and be mindful of the rights and points of view of others.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 17
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Although Lincoln is a president I greatly admire, I think that the south had every right to secede.  They screwed up big-time in attacking Fort Sumter, but I digress.

My ancestors left England and later fought in the revolution (three generations of them).  Change didn't phase them and it doesn't phase me.  I'll side with my free state.  Washington and Jefferson would understand.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 18
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Nov. 20 2012, 7:52 pm)
 I'll side with my free state.  Washington and Jefferson would understand.

Most of these people can't see the parallels. Exactly as the Tories and loyalists couldn't see the faults and failures of their parent country and King.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 19
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that some people see this whole hypothetical for what it is; a macho, quasi-patriotic fantasy. Some of you have seen Red Dawn a few too many times.

It would be far more constructive to get involved in the political process, promoting your values and making positive use of the constitution than all of this negative speculation about how violence will be necessary to improve the world. That is a proposition that rarely proves to be true.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 20
jimlup Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rather than secession I'd say we are moving towards a new political party.  The Republicans continue to try their very hardest to make themselves irrelevant.

--------------
Just because you have the gear doesn't mean that you are a "mountaineer."
 Post Number: 21
N2theWild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I doubt you limp-wristed liberals would fare to well on the battlefield.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 22
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Nov. 21 2012, 11:06 am)

Is that what Jesus would say?
 Post Number: 23
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ Nov. 21 2012, 11:29 am)

That's the spirochetes talking. They didn't leave much brain tissue for him to work with.
:p

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 24
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Nov. 21 2012, 9:02 am)

(UlightBandit @ Nov. 21 2012, 11:29 am)

That's the spirochetes talking. They didn't leave much brain tissue for him to work with.
:p

Revenge of the Microbes.

:D
 Post Number: 25
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hahahahaha... that might be the funniest thing I've read all day.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 21 2012, 7:35 am)

(justwalkin @ Nov. 20 2012, 7:52 pm)
 I'll side with my free state.  Washington and Jefferson would understand.

Most of these people can't see the parallels. Exactly as the Tories and loyalists couldn't see the faults and failures of their parent country and King.

Running parallel = never intersecting.

A Democratic president is not an absolute despot sitting on a throne across a great ocean inflicting a long train of abuses and usurpations, answering repeated petitions for redress with repeated injury.

Every state in this union is a shade of purple, and my bet is the majority of voters at the red end of the spectrum see this secession nonsense for what it is -- stupid, petulant, sore loser, nonsense.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
mssmith648 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.”
Thomas Jefferson.

That being said, I agree that these were the same people who scolded me for my bike helmet sticker during the GW reign that read "I am happy to be an American even if I'm not particularly proud of it."

I am not old enough or wealthy enough to be a Republican (just joking take it easy), but I think some of them threatening to secede is great! I should be able to speak out about the tryanny I felt with the passing of the Patriot Act and other GW and associate laws. They should be able to express their concern about "socialism" and thier other concerns with Obama. We can all learn from this and hopefully this sharing of ideas is what can lead us to build a better future.

I don't feel more connected to my state than I do my country, but if it came to that ( since you did ask us to answer that) I would have to fight for the side I felt was closer to moving in the direction I would like to see our country go in. You can say that this is all a bunch of blow harding and I agree, but their will come a time when revolution will be a real thing. History has proven this thoughout the ages. Unfortunely things will have to get a lot worse before that becomes a reality. People still have too much to lose.
 Post Number: 28
mssmith648 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My grandfather, U.S. Army did fairly well in Korea as has my brother so far United States Marine Corp in Afganistan. Even in wars they don't agree with mind you. Please think about what you say before you disrespect the men and women in uniform because they don't share the same political views as you!
 Post Number: 29
N2theWild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mssmith648 @ Nov. 21 2012, 3:34 pm)
Please think about what you say before you disrespect the men and women in uniform because they don't share the same political views as you!

You're the one creating a fictitious argument.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 30
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mssmith648 @ Nov. 21 2012, 12:34 pm)

My grandfather, U.S. Army did fairly well in Korea as has my brother so far United States Marine Corp in Afganistan. Even in wars they don't agree with mind you. Please think about what you say before you disrespect the men and women in uniform because they don't share the same political views as you!

What a crock.

Political affiliation is about as irrelevant in combat as gender.

Hugs.
63 replies since Nov. 14 2012, 1:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Would you fight for your state or the remnant US?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions