2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Political Match-Making, Political Divides getting too Personal?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 10:08 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://news.yahoo.com/dating-....cs.html

Political differences (or similarities) getting to be a bigger factor when choosing or getting along with your friends/co-workers/mates?

I'm grateful the election is over, my wife and I celebrated our 49th anniversary in October, but I was not sure we'd still be married for our 50th.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife is at least as far to the left of center (probably much further, she was Green party for years) as I am to the right of it.  Mutual respect goes a very long way in keeping our home a happy one.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3
N2theWild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Opposites attract.

Like-minded stay together.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

5 yrs ago, I found myself back in the dating market.  Among my other listed preferences, I asked for a strong Leftist.  I could not find a way to properly respect a partner who watched Faux, or believed any of the spew from similar sources.  I grew up in a household that was divided, back in calmer times when both sides had access to the same facts.  That I could deal with.  Disagreeing on how best to reduce our deficits is one thing, listening to, and believing, Beck et al is quite another.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^Misery loves company.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Nov. 26 2012, 10:13 am)
^Misery loves company.

Oh any "misery" had surely been way mitigated by the oft touted by conservatives, "November 2012", elections eh?

:cool:

The next fun date being "January 2013".

4 more years!
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Political leanings are close to the last thing on my list of things that define a "friend". Right after preferred toothpaste brand, but before favorite gatorade flavor.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Nov. 26 2012, 10:08 am)
http://news.yahoo.com/dating-....cs.html

Political differences (or similarities) getting to be a bigger factor when choosing or getting along with your friends/co-workers/mates?

I'm grateful the election is over, my wife and I celebrated our 49th anniversary in October, but I was not sure we'd still be married for our 50th.

Incredible accomplishment sir!  I'm at 28 years this year and hoping I can come close what you've done.

I stand in awe.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 9
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've voted Dem 3 times & Rep 1 time.
I've got friends, who I would consider close friends, that won't vote democrat, watch fox, read O'Really books, so on and so forth....but we are still good friends.  We rarely talk politics, unless it is directly affecting a common interest we share.

It just works.  My wife doesn't understand how, but it works.
We keep the politics to a minimum & remain civil when it comes up.

There was a great "This American Life" on politics ruining relationships:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a....e-state
 Post Number: 10
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the bits we've talked about it, my wife & I share fairly similar political views, but it rarely if ever comes up (I can count with two or three fingers the times we've directly discussed politics).  It comes up even less often with friends.

I guess I just don't see the relevance of politics to such relationships.  To each their own though.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No worries. I'd be embarrassed if I was a lefty too.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should have noted that friends are an entirely different matter.  I can be friends with most anyone, as long as we do not discuss hot button items.  Even then, as long as the discourse can remain civil, there is nothing like a rousing discussion on abortion to fire up the cold room.  :)

As for my choice of spousal units, I would indeed be miserable if that person wasn't more intelligent than to be taken in by the Right Wing propaganda.  As for N2, that myth he espouses here is another thing I could not deal with in a partner.  Too much taken on face value, not enough thinking going on.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 13
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Nov. 26 2012, 3:20 pm)
No worries. I'd be embarrassed if I was a lefty too.

Posts like that reflect more about you than they do anyone else.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
12 replies since Nov. 26 2012, 10:08 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Political Match-Making
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions