2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New leader of China< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:55 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know if this shold be on the PA or elsewhere, but I'd thought I'd give it a shot here.

Can anyone tell me how to pronouce, Xi Jinping, the new leader of China.  I'm sure it's not pronounced anything like it looks like.  I thought I should at least be able to correctly say the name of the world's most populous nation's leader.

Thanks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pronounced: Eleven Jumping
 Post Number: 3
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, at one time (and I must emphasize that) I spoke a bit of Chinese. But no longer - the remnants of the language sometimes haunt my dreams, and I "hear" a few words when watching the subtitled versions of some movies, like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" - but most of it is gone.

On top of that, I learned very few characters long, long ago, and the romanization system used in the 60s (to represent the sound of the language in something you and I can read - assuming we don't read Chinese symbols, called "hanzi") was different. Some time ago, the Chinese adopted the Pinyin romanization system, which is what you used in your post.

So, being effectively ignorant of the language now, I simply Googled:

"pronounce Xi Jinping"

:) and found that the pronunciation is:

SHEE chin-PING (without tones), and the "ch" is not really "ch", but a sound between "ch" and "j"

The difficulties in transcription of the sounds is why there are so many romanization systems. Each uses a different system in an attempt to approximate the sound that is being made in a more-or-less similar sounding construction in the English language.

Read the article here (at East Asia Student):
Pronunciation of Xi Jinping / &#20064;&#36817;&#24179;

The codec for those characters after the slash live on my computer, but what you get may very well be something else altogether - that looks like gibberish.

The article above has some humor, so you should drop down to the section titled "He's called SHE?", where they talk about the problems English-speaking leaders may have with the surname (which, contrary to our culture, appears first instead of last):

“Angela Merkel met with the Chinese president last Thursday. She said that the talks were successful, but Xi’s not that easy to gauge.”

Unintended gender-bending gone wild!
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Gabby.  I triedg oogleing it bu tdidn't come up with anything.  I wonder how many Americans even care about getting his name right.  Not many I fear, which is a sad comment on Ameican society.  But maybe I'm wrong.  Then again, it may become a household word in the future.  Who knows?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My guess was exactly what Gabby posted. He will also respond kindly to "Grand Overlord of the Americas".

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 15 2012, 7:35 am)
Thanks Gabby.  I triedg oogleing it bu tdidn't come up with anything.  I wonder how many Americans even care about getting his name right.  Not many I fear, which is a sad comment on Ameican society.  But maybe I'm wrong.  Then again, it may become a household word in the future.  Who knows?

I suspect correct pronunciation in America will take a while.
Look how long it has taken for some Americans to say Barack Obama correctly.
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 15 2012, 10:35 am)
I triedg oogleing it bu tdidn't come up with anything.

I've found that oogleing seldom results in anything productive, yet that doesn't stop me from doing it.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The punishment for oogleing can be quite harsh in China I've heard.
7 replies since Nov. 15 2012, 12:55 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New leader of China
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions