2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sour grapes, or is he really disconnected?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 9:28 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012....t=hp_t3

So Romney came out and said, to his financial surrogates, that Obama won by crafting policies in favor of, and gave "gifts" to, key constituencies in order to win the election.  "Gifts" include: loan forgiveness to college students (this was in place before Obama, but it has continued over the last 4 years), "free contraception" for young women (that's just a dishonest statement), the Dream Act to attract Hispanics, Obama care to attract the poor, etc.

So did Obama really buy votes? Is Romney still this disconnected that he thinks this election was really about "free stuff"?  Or is this just sour grapes, and he knows his audience wants to hear this kind of answer for his dismal performance in the election.

Also, good on Bobby Jindal for speaking out against Romney's statements.  Yeah, it might be to try to score future political points, but its good to know the R's have some sensibility left in their leadership positions within the party.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I read this I thought of this from David Simon (in another thread):
You want to lead in America? Find a way to be entirely utilitarian — to address the most problems on behalf of the most possible citizens. That works. That matters.

And Romney's comments are a contemptuous rejection of this. Solving problems, making people's lives better--"promot[ing] the general welfare", as it's put in one of those texts wingnuts love to quote but hate to read and don't understand when they do--is just giving people free stuff.

If anyone doubted that the Romney we saw on the 47% video* was the real Romney, there's no doubting it now.

*In one of those ironies you couldn't invent, Romney's electoral percentage in the current count has dropped below 48%--in other words, into 47% territory.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More proof that voters got it right.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Please make Jindahl the nominee in '16. We could run a ticket with tom and Jerry.

Ronald Reagen shifted much of the tax burden in this country from wealthier to middle and lower income Americans. These Americans have endured shrinking wealth for more than a generation now. The Pendulum had to swing back or there was a probability we'd have among other things blood in the streets.

Going back to the Progressive Tax Rates that we thrived under with Eisenhower, Clinton, etc., is the way it has to be. Boehner and McConnell can grow the Hades up or be relegated to the historical list of obstinate posterior orifices.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 6
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Romney's just sore that he didn't get the chance to give gifts back to his supporters.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Nov. 15 2012, 6:28 am)
Also, good on Bobby Jindal for speaking out against Romney's statements.  Yeah, it might be to try to score future political points, but its good to know the R's have some sensibility left in their leadership positions within the party.

Jindal deserves a (very) little bit of credit for this (although I don't recall him making any similar criticism of Romney's 47% comments before the election--when it would have mattered), but let's not kid ourselves: he's not exactly the most credible advocate for reasonableness in the GOP.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Nov. 15 2012, 11:03 am)

(EastieTrekker @ Nov. 15 2012, 6:28 am)

Jindal deserves a (very) little bit of credit for this (although I don't recall him making any similar criticism of Romney's 47% comments before the election--when it would have mattered), but let's not kid ourselves: he's not exactly the most credible advocate for reasonableness in the GOP.

I agree.  It would have been far more noble, and telling of Jindal, if he had spoken out when it counts, instead of this more reactionary statement after the election had already been lost.  I guess my point with Jindal's comment is that, yes, he's probably trying to set himself up for a run in '16, but if not a single leader of the party rebuked Romney's statements would have been a far worse indicator of the direction of that party.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 9
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Nov. 15 2012, 9:37 am)
If anyone doubted that the Romney we saw on the 47% video* was the real Romney, there's no doubting it now.

*In one of those ironies you couldn't invent, Romney's electoral percentage in the current count has dropped below 48%--in other words, into 47% territory.

Another quote (from my wife): "This is fun, isn't it."

And one from Alternet: "Frivolities aside, Republican dinosaurs tanked because they fell into their own dazzling quicksand of contradictions, exposing both intellectual fraudulence and ideological perversity. Even gullible Americans, eager to endorse UFOs and angelic (or satanic) intervention but not evolution, are growing up (and growing younger). Despite sham indirections, Romney-Ryan personified the rightwing swamp, swarming with deception, denial, blarney, and delusion."

On a personal note, much of the euphoria has passed, but certainly isn't all gone.

More randomness: Go ahead GOP, go ape-sheet on Benghazi. Show us (Gasp!) that mistakes are made in war. John McCain, you ought to be ashamed. - Petraus' mistake is nothing next to your cheap pandering.

Go ahead GOP, take America right up to a fiscal cliff to protect tax breaks for the rich while puling on about "class warfare" and "divisiveness."

Keep it coming doods. Stand up for your beliefs!

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 10
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a condescending f-wit that man is. Thanks god he never got near the Oval office.
 Post Number: 11
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meh.

The talking heads on FoxNews were saying the same starting the day after the election and sadly that seems were Romney seemed to turn to for a lot of his advice.

The GOP needs to reclaim the intellectual highground from the mouth breathers - Coulter, Hannity, Malkin, etc. - who currently occupy it. Contrary to what the new Pravda, I mean FoxNews says, the GOP lost for valid reasons and it isn't because of 'gifts' or an 'entitlement society'.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ezra Klein has some excellent commentary on this:
Romney was free with the gifts, too, and his promises to seniors and to the rich carried a far higher price tag than any policies Obama promised minorities or the young.

But to Romney, and perhaps to the donors he was speaking to, those policies didn’t count as “gifts.” They were…something else. Good ideas, maybe. Or the fulfillment of past promises. Or perhaps it wasn’t the policies that were different, but the people they were being promised to....

That’s Romney’s political cosmology: The Democrats bribe the moochers with health care and green cards. The Republicans try to free the makers through tax cuts and deregulation. Politics isn’t a conflict between two reasonable perspectives on how to best encourage growth and high-living standards. It’s a kind of reverse-Marxist clash between those who produce and those who take, and the easiest way to tell one from the other is to see who they vote for.

And it isn't just Romney: crazy as it sounds, there are people in this very forum who have exactly the same core beliefs. (Not mentioning any names, and if you ask me if any of them rhyme with "will gab" I'll say I can neither confirm nor deny that.)

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

this big deluded world they are living in is the primary reason they lost.

If they don't deal with reality they will continue to lose.
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Nov. 15 2012, 10:01 am)
this big deluded world they are living in is the primary reason they lost.

If they don't deal with reality they will continue to lose.

It's a solid start for sure, stories are being printed how they never believed the dozens and hundreds of polls that showed them behind.

Locked in their warm, moist bubble of denial they whistled the happy tune: NOVEMBER 2012!

A refrain that has become curiously absent from certain posters in recent days? ? ? Curious.

Plus, bottom line, there was no "there" there.
 Post Number: 15
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much ado about nothing.

Isn't the essence of politics about engineering trade-offs that reward your constituents? In this age of limits, the trade-offs are going to be harder to find.

Romney's tax plan would have favored the upper classes, so it's a different side of the same coin. The problem for Romney was that by targeting the 1% for his goodies, he missed a broad swathe of the electorate.

The sooner the Repubs move on and remake themselves into a party with a viable plan, the healthier our political system will be.

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 16
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Nov. 15 2012, 11:18 am)
The sooner the Repubs move on and remake themselves into a party with a viable plan, the healthier our political system will be.

yep
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Nov. 15 2012, 2:18 pm)

That's exactly why it isn't "much ado about nothing". I think this was a confirmation of how out of touch with the reality of today's America Romney and his surrogates are right now.  Not only that, but most of the faces of the Republican Party backed this out of touch plutocrat, demonstrating just how out of touch they are with today's America.

Much ado about why the Republican Party has to completely retool their platform, indeed.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Nov. 15 2012, 2:22 pm)

(Hungry Jack @ Nov. 15 2012, 2:18 pm)

That's exactly why it isn't "much ado about nothing". I think this was a confirmation of how out of touch with the reality of today's America Romney and his surrogates are right now.  Not only that, but most of the faces of the Republican Party backed this out of touch plutocrat, demonstrating just how out of touch they are with today's America.

Much ado about why the Republican Party has to completely retool their platform, indeed.

Well yes. They have gone from whistling past the graveyard to barking at shadows.

Out of touch. Tone deaf. Wearing blinders. Tilting at windmills. Insert your preferred metaphor of denial.

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 19
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Nov. 15 2012, 6:39 am)
More proof that voters got it right.

^this^

Yes, yes they did.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The real issue here is just how segregated the lives of Americans are. People like mittens and his financial backers have literally no interaction with everyday America. None.

When you have no interaction with Americans its easy to dismiss them in the way mittens and the rest of his ilk do. It's what makes them such small men,
 Post Number: 21
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yet Romney and Republicans advocate for policies such as tax breaks and oil subsidies
precisely because they want to give gifts to groups they want to pander to knowing those
groups will donate to their campaigns

The ultimate irony though is begging in 2010, Republicans started to accuse Democrats
of cutting 500 billion in medicare(not true) which later evolved in 2012 to 716 Billion
cut to medicare(total distortion not to mention the hypocrisy of using that highly
misleading talking point given Paul Ryan did the same thing in his 2011 budget) so
So Romney did what he accused Obama of doing except that Romney did it in more extreme
and hypocritical ways

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 22
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 3:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Republicans are doing much deeper damage to themselves.  The best thing that could happen to the GOP would be for the American public to never hear John McCain, Romney or Paul Ryan speak again. They are discards, childish, and just plain sore losers.
McCain is a man that I once held in high honor, I almost voted for him, but Ron Paul made the ballot in Louisiana in 2008.
The GOP could gain a ton of political ground by at least looking cooperative and getting down to the business of fixing the budget. The economy is what the American people want fixed now!
21 replies since Nov. 15 2012, 9:28 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sour grapes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions