2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Texas has 107,000 signatures< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:45 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Peacefully grant the State of Texas to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government.
The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government's neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it's citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio....mdWCP8B

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My chief objection to Texan independence (aside from the fact that it would be an act of treason) is that within 20 years Texas would be de facto (or possibly de jure) apartheid state, with suffrage vested in a white minority and denied to the non-white majority.  It would have to be: the white wingnuts who currently run things there will be a minority in the near future, and there's no way they'll give up power willingly. And we know from experience (as recently as this year) that they have no compunction about disenfranchising people they don't expect to vote the (far-)right way.  

As long as Texas is part of the United States, there are limits to what the white supremacists can do. On their own, those limitations vanish. I wouldn't wish that on the decent folk who happen to live there.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes knee-jerk actions have unintended consequences.
Based on the demographic projections, this could be the first step in returning Texas to Mexico.
 Post Number: 4
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm...

So 107,000 Texans want the state to secede, representing 0.4% of the total population of Texas .  

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.  When the other 99.6% (or 25,571,982 people, if you're counting) of the population start to join in the secession party, then maybe it would deserve some attention.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 5
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Out of a known population of 25 million?  Yeah, I'm sure it's on the top of Barack's reading list (sarcasm).

If the state ever did cede(hypothetically),  I'm sure Mexico wants their lands back --think the original treaty was actually above the Rio (it may need to cede San Anton for starters, maybe Austin and then there would be bickering between Dallas and Houston), so not sure how viable a (hypothetical) independent Texas is.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 6
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Nov. 15 2012, 8:24 am)
Out of a known population of 25 million?  Yeah, I'm sure it's on the top of Barack's reading list (sarcasm).

Well, he does need a good laugh every now and then.

In fact, he probably needs it more than anyone else alive.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is not even 1.5 % of the Texas voters from this last election.  Texas cast 7.8 million votes for POTUS, with over 4 million of those voting R.  100K signatures is not that many.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Texas would be ok initially, but would soon slide. It's not investing enough in education to thrive in the long term and relies on importing talent from other states.
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's less than twenty percent of the people who showed up in Central Park one summer's night to listen to some old folk singers (Simon and Garfunkel) back a ways.

How big is the Cowboy's new digs?
 Post Number: 10
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 15 2012, 1:52 pm)
How big is the Cowboy's new digs?

Oh, just about big enough to hold all these nut jobs.  For what it's worth, not all the whities in the State of Texas are supremicist wackos.   :p

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, lets see how balanced their budget is not that they need embassies, and their own border patrol......all US military bases close (with resulting job losses), etc. etc.

On the other hand, a lot of rich people in the US may move there to avoid Obama's new taxes.
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 15 2012, 12:11 pm)
Well, lets see how balanced their budget is not that they need embassies, and their own border patrol......all US military bases close (with resulting job losses), etc. etc.

On the other hand, a lot of rich people in the US may move there to avoid Obama's new taxes.

They'll get a tad of stickershock when their tax bills arrive in Pesos.
 Post Number: 13
gregkeller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm just wondering, what would that do to Texas A&M and the SEC?
 Post Number: 14
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

>> Texas has 107,000 signatures

Yawn... we have 110,000+ in the Big House on any given Saturday for a Michigan football game.  Guess they should declare themselves a country.  :D

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 15
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On the other other hand....can we send them packing with their prorated share of the federal deficit?
 Post Number: 16
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Nov. 15 2012, 4:45 pm)

On the other other hand....can we send them packing with their prorated share of the federal deficit?

I get the feeling this is one of those "we helped rack it up, but we'd like to quietly leave the rest of y'all with the whole bill" fantasies.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 17
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregkeller @ Nov. 15 2012, 6:27 pm)
I'm just wondering, what would that do to Texas A&M and the SEC?

They'll be joining the NEMC, North Eastern Mexico Conference. They might want to brush up on their soccer skills.  :laugh:
 Post Number: 18
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 5:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Based on the beating that Sam Houston State took from the Hoosiers last night (99 to 48), basketball won't be their national sport. Maybe they should stick to shooting at beer bottles with pistols.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 19
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Nov. 15 2012, 4:45 pm)

At least it'd get paid.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 20
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh sure, Mr. Centric, anyone can beat Sam Houston State, but can they beat Sam Houston Institute of Technology!? Better bring a bat, doods.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 21
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they are playing basketball with a bat, they are doing it wrong.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 22
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Nov. 15 2012, 6:45 pm)

Though I'm no secessionist, this line of thought got me to wondering just WHAT IS Texas' portion of the federal income-versus-spending statistic?  According to Wikipedia's numbers, I found that Texas is third overall in revenue (behind California and New York) and second overall (behind California) in spending.  Considering that Texas is in the top three population-wise, this makes solid sense.

Broken down per capita (including Puerto Rico and DC), Texas ranks 13th overall in revenue, and 10th overall in spending.  

Now, considering income-versus-spending per capita, Texas ranks 9th, with each Texan giving (average) $2,243 more to the federal gov't than receiving.  

Considering that we are a NET CONTRIBUTOR to the federal coffers, Texas' prorated share of the deficit shouldn't be too shabby.

Folks, feel free to play the "Fun with Statistics" game too.  Amazing how these numbers can be manipulated to say all kinds of fun things.   :D  :D  :D

Now for my dear Aggies, I guess we would be forced to go back to the old Southwest Conference (Post-Arkansas leaving) days.  At least we'd still have the cotton Bowl on New Years Day.   :p

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 23
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Nov. 16 2012, 1:15 pm)
If they are playing basketball with a bat, they are doing it wrong.

I can see you're not from Texas, and thus unable to appreciate the power of Sam Houston Institute of Technology. Or maybe you're like my wife in thinking that that's one of the dumbest "jokes" ever. Go Birds. Hahaha - I'm cracking myself up here.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
22 replies since Nov. 15 2012, 10:45 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Texas has 107,000 signatures
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions