2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Obama supporters say  "deport them"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:
Deport Everyone That Signed A Petition To Withdraw Their State From The United States Of America.
Deport Everyone That Signed A Petition To Withdraw Their State From The United States Of America.

Created: Nov 12, 2012
Issues: Government Reform
Learn about Petition Thresholds
SIGNATURES NEEDED BY DECEMBER 12, 2012 TO REACH GOAL OF 25,0004,282TOTAL SIGNATURES ON THIS PETITION20,718

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio....mQl1bXL

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I propose a petition to deport everyone that keeps starting stupid petitions that won't do anything. :p

All this hubbub is going to do is shut down the WhiteHouse.gov petition site, if all it becomes is an outlet for crazies to rally around completely idiotic things.

ETA: For what it's worth, I don't see anything in the petition citing "Obama Supporters", as the OP indicates.  One can be non-supportive of Obama and still think secession is a stupid idea.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Idiotic it may well be. But it demonstrates an increasing divide in the good old USA.

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meh.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 5
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Nov. 15 2012, 12:44 pm)
Idiotic it may well be. But it demonstrates an increasing divide in the good old USA.

I disagree.  Always has been a lunatic fringe in this country (heck, in the world).  They DO NOT represent the majority of Americans on either side of the aisle.  However, the advent of the Internet Age has given them a disproportionately loud voice, relative to the average american who, while likely firm in their belief system, would rather focus on things like work, children, life outside of politics, etc.

ETA: Also, the country has always been divided.  Compromise may be at a temporary low right now, but again I think this reflects the politicians who rose to power on the backs of the likes of the Tea Party.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 6
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Nov. 15 2012, 9:52 am)
I disagree.  Always has been a lunatic fringe in this country (heck, in the world).  They DO NOT represent the majority of Americans on either side of the aisle.  However, the advent of the Internet Age has given them a disproportionately loud voice, relative to the average american who, while likely firm in their belief system, would rather focus on things like work, children, life outside of politics, etc.

+1
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Nov. 15 2012, 12:52 pm)

ETA: Also, the country has always been divided.  Compromise may be at a temporary low right now, but again I think this reflects the politicians who rose to power on the backs of the likes of the Tea Party.

Sure, I suppose there has always been what you refer to as "the lunatic fringe", but I think Texas may be the only state we've ever heard talk of withdrawal from the Union. While petitions have been around since long before the Internet, we haven't seen 30 states simultaneously bringing them, even though they are, presently, a small minority, the numbers of signers is growing, even though there can be little doubt of failure.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Nov. 15 2012, 10:29 am)
WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:

Created: Nov 12, 2012
Issues: Government Reform
Learn about Petition Thresholds
SIGNATURES NEEDED BY DECEMBER 12, 2012 TO REACH GOAL OF 25,0004,282TOTAL SIGNATURES ON THIS PETITION20,718

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio....mQl1bXL

It's obvious you don't believe in freedom of expression and the right of protest as guaranteed by the US Constitution.

I hereby propose a petition to strip of citizenship and deport all those who sign a petition demanding deportation of those exercising their Constitutional rights. Including those signing this one.
???

At this rate, everyone will be deported and the Indians will get their lands back.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 9
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess it is another way of saying "Love it or Leave it", except Australia doesn't want you.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Nov. 15 2012, 11:01 am)

(EastieTrekker @ Nov. 15 2012, 12:52 pm)

Sure, I suppose there has always been what you refer to as "the lunatic fringe", but I think Texas may be the only state we've ever heard talk of withdrawal from the Union. While petitions have been around since long before the Internet, we haven't seen 30 states simultaneously bringing them, even though they are, presently, a small minority, the numbers of signers is growing, even though there can be little doubt of failure.

You drastically overstate the importance of "30 states simultaneously bringing petitions."

30 States did not start petitions.  One random person in each of 30 states saw the petitions online, said "oh hey, that seems pretty cool, let's start one for our state too" and posted a petition as well.  It just takes one guy up late and bored in his apartment to open such a petition with a few mouseclicks.

Not exactly a movement, if you ask me.  Just a flash in the pan so far.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Nov. 15 2012, 9:44 am)

"increasing"? hardly, more people show up at a rock concert.

Just a new way for the wackos to posture.

Otherwise they'd "self-deport" (To use the Romney phraseology) to the wondrous glories of Somalia: land of no government aka Pubbie/TeaParty Nirvana.

ETA: Texas? Where the frickin' Governor "talked about secession" and then ran very hard and very expensively for President of these United States?

No.  

Frickin'.

Clue.
 Post Number: 12
kyle2193 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 15 2012, 1:22 pm)
You drastically overstate the importance of "30 states simultaneously bringing petitions."

30 States did not start petitions.  One random person in each of 30 states saw the petitions online, said "oh hey, that seems pretty cool, let's start one for our state too" and posted a petition as well.  It just takes one guy up late and bored in his apartment to open such a petition with a few mouseclicks.

Not exactly a movement, if you ask me.  Just a flash in the pan so far.

Internet petitions at that.

--------------
If I cannot swear in heaven I shall not stay there.
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hasn't anyone here ever hunted coyotes?

You make a sound like a hurt rabbit and they come to you.

Well those petitions were set up as traitor bait. Soon all those names with email addresses and zip codes will be turned over to FEMA for, ahem, "processing "

Mwahhahaha!
 Post Number: 14
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 5:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obviously Montecresto is fascinated with this and MontanaLoneWolf is speaking his usual voice in the political wilderness jive, but most people here are just tee heeing. You guys know that this petition thing is just a "suggestion box" that the President set up when he was first elected?  ???

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ecocentric:
You really have no sense of the absurd.

--------------

Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have no sense of when who is absurd? I admire a sense of humor, am I missing your jokes? I'm pretty sure that we would get on pretty well even though we disagree on a variety of things. I thought this whole petition to secede thing was absurd. By all means enlighten me.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was "proposing" (tongue in cheek)  to start a petition to silence those who would silence those who start petitions.

--------------

Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:)

--------------
 Post Number: 19
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montecresto @ Nov. 15 2012, 1:01 pm)
I think Texas may be the only state we've ever heard talk of withdrawal from the Union.

Montecresto,

Historically speaking, Texas is actually a latecomer in petitioning for secession (it's own secession from Mexico in 1836 notwithstanding).  Here are a few other secessionist rantings over the years:

1798 - Virginia considering secession over the Alien and Sedition Acts.
1800 - All of New England over Thomas Jefferson's election.
1808 - Massachusetts over the Embargo Act of 1807.
1828 - South Carolina over the ban on imports of slaves from overseas.
1830s-1840s - New England over over the related issues of Texas Annexation, the Mexican–American War, and the expansion of slavery.
1850 - South Carolina over admission of California to the Union.
1860 - South Carolina (and the rest of the Conferedate states) over the election of Abraham Lincoln and the perceived threat to States' Rights and the institution of slavery.  

Anyway, the point is that threats of secession have been around just as long as we have had a country. Certainly not limited to Texas, though admittedly we have had our fair share of them.  It's just a part of being in a democracy.  There is always somebody who doesn't want to play anymore, so they threaten to "take their ball and go home."

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AggieHiker92 @ Nov. 16 2012, 2:08 pm)
I think Texas may be the only state we've ever heard talk of withdrawal from the Union.

Here are some more recent examples, from all over the country...

Alaska: In November 2006, the Alaska Supreme Court held in the case Kohlhaas v. State that secession was illegal, and refused to permit an initiative to be presented to the people of Alaska for a vote. The Alaskan Independence Party remains a factor in state politics.

California secessionism - This was discussed by involved grassroots movement parties and small activist groups calling for the state to secede from the union, they met in a pro-secessionist meeting in Sacramento on April 15, 2010 to discuss advancing the matter.

Florida: The mock 1982 secessionist protest by the Conch Republic in the Florida Keys resulted in an ongoing source of local pride and tourist amusement.

Georgia: On April 1, 2009, the Georgia State Senate passed a resolution 43-1 that affirmed the right of states to nullify federal laws. The resolution also included the assertion that if Congress took certain steps, including restricting firearms or ammunition, the United States government would cease to exist.

Hawaii: The Hawaiian sovereignty movement has a number of active groups that have won some concessions from the state of Hawaii, including the offering of H.R. 258 in March 2011 which removes the words "Treaty of Annexation" from a statue. It has passed a committee recommendation 6-0 thus far.

With the decision of the Supreme Court of the United States to hear District of Columbia v. Heller in late 2007, an early 2008 movement began in Montana involving at least 60 elected officials addressing potential secession if the Second Amendment were interpreted not to grant an individual right, citing its compact with the United States of America.

South Carolina: In May 2010 a group was formed calling itself the Third Palmetto Republic, a reference to the fact that the state claimed to be an independent republic twice before in its history: Once in 1776 and again in 1860. The group was modeled after the Second Vermont Republic and says its aims are for a free and independent South Carolina, and to abstain from any further federations.

Texas Secession Movement: The group Republic of Texas generated national publicity for its controversial actions in the late 1990s. A small group still meets. In April 2009, Rick Perry, the Governor of Texas, raised the issue of secession in disputed comments during a speech at a Tea Party protest saying "Texas is a unique place. When we came into the union in 1845, one of the issues was that we would be able to leave if we decided to do that...My hope is that America and Washington in particular pays attention. We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, who knows what may come of that."

Vermont: The Second Vermont Republic, founded in 2003, is a loose network of several groups which describes itself as "a nonviolent citizens' network and think tank opposed to the tyranny of Corporate America and the U.S. government, and committed to the peaceful return of Vermont to its status as an independent republic and more broadly the dissolution of the Union." Its "primary objective is to extricate Vermont peacefully from the United States as soon as possible.” They have worked closely with the Middlebury Institute created from a meeting sponsored in Vermont in 2004. On October 28, 2005, activists held the Vermont Independence Conference, "the first statewide convention on secession in the United States since North Carolina voted to secede from the Union on May 20, 1861". They also participated in the 2006 and 2007 Middlebury-organized national secessionist meetings which brought delegates from over a dozen groups.

Republic of Lakotah: Some members of the Lakota people of Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota created the Republic to assert the independence of a nation that was always sovereign and did not willingly join the United States; therefore they do not consider themselves technically to be secessionists.

Cascadia: There have been repeated attempts to form a Bioregional Democracy Cascadia in the northwest. The core of Cascadia would be made up through the secession of the states of Washington, Oregon and province of British Columbia, while some supporters of the movement support portions of Northern California, Southern Alaska, Idaho and Montana joining, to define its boundaries along ecological, cultural, economic and political boundaries.

Northwest Front: The Northwest Front is a White separatist movement that is advocating for the formation of an independent sovereign republic in the Pacific Northwestern states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and western Montana, that will serve as a "White homeland" for White people throughout the world. The nationalist movement is led by Harold Covington.

The State of Jefferson: The State of Jefferson is a movement in and around the area of Yreka, California to secede from the union and become an independent state. The State of Jefferson would have included all or parts of 20 Oregon and California counties.

League of the South: The group seeks "a free and independent Southern republic" made up of the former Confederacy. It operated a short lived Southern Party supporting the right of states to secede from the Union or to legally nullify federal laws. Some describe these movements as neo-confederate.

Puerto Rico: The Puerto Rican independence movement traces its origins to the Taíno rebellion of 1511. Recent resolutions aimed at giving the island the right to self-determination include a draft from the U.N. Special Committee of the 24 on Decolonization in 2009 and the Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2010.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AggieHiker92, a scholar of union discontent?

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not on purpose...I have a fondness for arcane topics in American History.  I remember taking a history course in college and finding it intriguing that New England came very close to causing a civil war years before the one in the 1860's.  Sometimes these history lessons stick pretty well.

I find secessionists mildly amusing.  Nothing more.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Nov. 16 2012, 5:50 am)
Obviously Montecresto is fascinated with this and MontanaLoneWolf is speaking his usual voice in the political wilderness jive, but most people here are just tee heeing. You guys know that this petition thing is just a "suggestion box" that the President set up when he was first elected?  ???

Sure I'm fascinated with it, I clarified there is little doubt of failure, but such things are interesting, and sometimes, the biggest things get started by the smallest of things. It's a news story.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 8:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AggieHiker92 @ Nov. 16 2012, 2:08 pm)

(Montecresto @ Nov. 15 2012, 1:01 pm)

Montecresto,

Historically speaking, Texas is actually a latecomer in petitioning for secession (it's own secession from Mexico in 1836 notwithstanding).  Here are a few other secessionist rantings over the years:

1798 - Virginia considering secession over the Alien and Sedition Acts.
1800 - All of New England over Thomas Jefferson's election.
1808 - Massachusetts over the Embargo Act of 1807.
1828 - South Carolina over the ban on imports of slaves from overseas.
1830s-1840s - New England over over the related issues of Texas Annexation, the Mexican–American War, and the expansion of slavery.
1850 - South Carolina over admission of California to the Union.
1860 - South Carolina (and the rest of the Conferedate states) over the election of Abraham Lincoln and the perceived threat to States' Rights and the institution of slavery.  

Anyway, the point is that threats of secession have been around just as long as we have had a country. Certainly not limited to Texas, though admittedly we have had our fair share of them.  It's just a part of being in a democracy.  There is always somebody who doesn't want to play anymore, so they threaten to "take their ball and go home."

Sure buddy, I get that, those are all historical examples. I'm talking about what we have "heard".  Texas, as pointed out by HS, as recently as the current governor's threat.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find secessionists mildly amusing.  Nothing more.

I'm sure they were "mildly amusing" 240 and 150 years ago too.

--------------

Post Number: 26
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I said, let us know when they reach 62 million.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the numbers reach that high, we may well already be in the 2nd Civil War.

--------------

Post Number: 28
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure with all their horses and bayonets the republican insurgents will be easy to suppress. All we'll really have to do is eliminate medicare and medicaid payments and the resistance will go back to yelling out their TV's as their only offense.
 Post Number: 29
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually, what is interesting here is that making such a pledge or oath bans one from public office per the 14th Amendment. So it could be useful to know who signed these things.

Other than that, I haven't given this issue much concern. 2/3 of the signers on the Wisconsin petition were from Texas. Well that isn't how it works, ya bunch of blowhards. But if you want to go, by all means, don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you. Lots of luck finding a country more to your liking.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
28 replies since Nov. 15 2012, 12:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Obama supporters say  "deport them"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions