2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Treason< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just to be clear on what it means.

Secessionists are not guilty of the 1st definition and maybe not even of the 2nd since Obama is willfully violating the 3rd.

trea·son
tree-zuhn
noun
the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign.
a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state.
the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to need some sort of translation from conservative into English please.
 Post Number: 3
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems like a troll, for one we had a succession thread not too long ago, but I will play:

Legal definition.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just because the flow of traffic is over the speed limit does not mean each and every one of those cars is not speeding.  Hence, even if your premise of the POTUS violating the 3rd definition were true, it would not absolve anyone who was violating the 2nd definition.

Of course, I do not see how Obama is violating the trust or confidence of the American people (who happened to have elected him for another term just last week, in case you missed it).  It is certainly not a breech of trust or treachery.  

I also do not believe any of those who are signing petitions to secede are committing treason.  They are expressing their displeasure in the most ignorant way, since no thought has been given as to how secession would affect them all.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 15 2012, 11:10 am)
Secessionists are not guilty of the 1st definition and maybe not even of the 2nd since Obama is willfully violating the 3rd.

Translation: We don't like Obama's policies, therefore we think treason isn't really treason.  Because, y'know, we kinda feel it's justified.

Yeah, that's pretty weak logic.  Although I don't think signing an online petition actually warrants an act of treason, if a state actually decided to up and pull its roots and secede from the union, that would be.  Until then, it's all just talk.  Blah blah blah...

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MLW,

Please have the decency to factually articulate your statement about President Obama.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

#BitterMuch?

:D

Finally saw those Senate results eh?
 Post Number: 8
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So much silliness.

To claim that people have committed treason by signing a petition is ridiculous.

To claim that Obama has committed "the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery," because he advocates policies that some people don't like is even more ridiculous.
 Post Number: 9
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Nov. 15 2012, 1:50 pm)
So much silliness.

To claim that people have committed treason by signing a petition is ridiculous.

To claim that Obama has committed "the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery," because he advocates policies that some people don't like is even more ridiculous.

'tis the silly season.  :;):
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stings, it does.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls....26.html

November!
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of you might want to read this.
 Post Number: 12
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know that no one is really calling for people to be prosecuted for treason and we're just having a laugh at the expense of some Losers right?
 Post Number: 13
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why don't they just be honest and say outright what they mean?  At least the confederates were honest about their bigotry
 Post Number: 14
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Nov. 15 2012, 5:33 pm)
Why don't they just be honest and say outright what they mean?  At least the confederates were honest about their bigotry

What?! The Southern States were not just fighting to maintain their perceived rights, but in fact their entire existence. We have progressed not just beyond the 1860's, but in fact the 1960's. We, the Southern folks here might politely request that you kindly check your premise counselor. We have progressed eons beyond the days of David Duke!
 Post Number: 15
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 5:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With all due respect DukeFan, most have, but there are some, perhaps many, that haven't. That isn't unique to the South. The KKK has a real presence, not only in the South but in the North and the West as well. Montana and Idaho have Nazi's.

Most of the poorest states voted for Romney, and I don't think that it was because they were worried about having their off shore bank accounts taxed. There are religious bigots and political reactionaries that voted in record numbers.

I understand the frustration of loosing an election, especially if you were so misinformed as to think that the President is a traitorous foreigner and muslim. That is where the dumbness starts. Thinking that there was no way that he could get reelected was also dumb and while it is a form of expression to sign a petition, the idea of secession is really dumb. Being and acting dumb, is not a crime even if it should be a misdemeanor.

My concern is for Conservatism, a valid school of American political thought, because it has been over run by extremists, know nothings (anti-intellectuals), and a popular form of entertainment that is mean spirited and completely careless with the truth.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think signing an online petition actually warrants an act of treason,

At least 2 of you got part of the point but missed the rest of it. Which really isn't too surprising.

Claiming treason by a few citizens because they're signing an internet petition is just as ridiculous and absurd as saying Obama is because those same people don't like him.

--------------

Post Number: 17
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure that you are making a salient point, but your written words fail to get your point across, at least to me.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both claims are patently ridiculous.
No one is committing treason at this time, not even the whackjobs who are starting and signing secession petitions. They are merely exercising their right of peaceful protest, at least at this time. That will obviously change if they actively revolt.
Neither is Obama even if half the people in the country do believe him to "breaching faith" to the country.

--------------

Post Number: 19
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 15 2012, 1:10 pm)
Just to be clear on what it means.

trea·son
tree-zuhn
noun
the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign.
a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state.
the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery.

I continue to be unclear about this query/statement and thought it might just be in response to a few folk's dissatisfaction and general rabble rousing tendencies post election and responded off the cuff to another post. Thank you for bringing to light that the definitions of not only treason, but Secessionism have probably changed over the last few years. I guess that I will have to refresh my memory of the definition of sovereign too. There are so many situations occurring globally right now that I am unsure if you are even referring to political unrest in this country!

Ecocentric, thank you for bringing to light issues that should be concerning me a little more these days. Living and working in the Research Triangle has been as close to living in an Utopian-type society that I will ever get to experience, and as you pointed out, maybe I need to re-evaluate my own premise!  :p
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"maybe not even of the 2nd since..."

Yeah because that's actually logical?

Not really. "But he's doing something (vague and unspecified) bad TOO!!" isn't exactly a defense. Or at least not when you say it out loud.

Also "point" 2? The President of the United States is neither "sovereign" nor "state" and so::: FAIL. Though kudos for staying with the "President holds the leash to my beloved dollar" conservative theme.
 Post Number: 21
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MLW,

Come on man. Tell us how you can facutally make the statement about the President that you did.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 16 2012, 9:34 am)
"maybe not even of the 2nd since..."

Yeah because that's actually logical?

Not really. "But he's doing something (vague and unspecified) bad TOO!!" isn't exactly a defense. Or at least not when you say it out loud.

Also "point" 2? The President of the United States is neither "sovereign" nor "state" and so::: FAIL. Though kudos for staying with the "President holds the leash to my beloved dollar" conservative theme.

Sigh, that should, of course, be "collar", though come to think on it for a lot of "conservatives" "dollar" works too.
 Post Number: 23
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So what do we do with all of these treasonous enemy combatants?

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Nov. 16 2012, 11:36 am)

"enemy combatants?"?

The ones that aren't United States citizens (hence "enemy") and thus cannot commit treason against the United States?

Ignore em and let their own country deal with their "treason". We have enough problems with these self-identified (with ZIPCODES!) domestic ones.

Glad to help out. :)
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 16 2012, 3:06 pm)

(Hungry Jack @ Nov. 16 2012, 11:36 am)

"enemy combatants?"?

The ones that aren't United States citizens (hence "enemy") and thus cannot commit treason against the United States?

Ignore em and let their own country deal with their "treason". We have enough problems with these self-identified (with ZIPCODES!) domestic ones.

Glad to help out. :)

Maybe we could just run over the domestic enemies using our cars.

--------------
a wild occupation,
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd leave it up to FEMA, they need something to do between socializing hurricanes and earthquakes after all.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 16 2012, 3:19 pm)
I'd leave it up to FEMA, they need something to do between socializing hurricanes and earthquakes after all.

Someone needs to clean up those messes.

--------------
a wild occupation,
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Nov. 16 2012, 12:49 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 16 2012, 3:19 pm)

Someone needs to clean up those messes.

If only the NFL would pull a NHL: then there'd be plenty of freed up space for the processing and storage: all those lovely big stadiums.

Could save the roofed ones for the secessionists with the "special" zipcodes, the plebes get Chicago.
 Post Number: 29
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TREASON

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Nov. 16 2012, 10:55 am)
MLW,

Come on man. Tell us how you can facutally make the statement about the President that you did.

Try reading the post where I answered that.

--------------

39 replies since Nov. 15 2012, 1:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Treason
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions