2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Lead from hunter's bullets put Condors at risk< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:52 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Story

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that because West Nile virus isn't killing them due to the fact that they are being inoculated against it - just like mother nature would have done...?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

?

I doubt West Nile would be here except for mankind, or that the Condor would be endangered in the first place.

But I think you are right West Nile would have a large, maybe larger impact than lead.  Though I think the lead would keep killing while if a bird did survive West Nile its problems would be over as far as that disease goes.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Condors are ugly bastards, not that I'm wishing them dead or anything.

You wanna get worked up about human activity slaughtering innocent winged creatures?  Check out what wind power is doing to eagles and bats.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good point, both are a problem.

Sounds like you don't care about Eagles either?

--------------
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lead shot has come under fire for many years.  Steel shot is the way to go.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

of course the NRA disputes the research.  and reasonable regulation to protect the wildlife.

the west nile vaccines make sense for the captive raised birds.  There's such a genetic bottleneck in the population from those 20 birds in the 80's that the disease could kill off the entire species if those birds were not inoculated.  Obviously if they were able to get a self-sustaining wild population going, they would eventually have to stop inoculating the birds.

this is a classic case of bioaccumulation.  I have some friends/coworkers who are doing research about lead shot right now.  even though it's banned for bird hunting, it's still a problem.  it was permitted for so long that some areas that had high hunting pressure have pretty substantial amounts of lead in the soil...and the birds consume it and they still get lead poisoning.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 8
Tacksman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can still use shot for upland game in the condor area.   Look it up.  Lead sinkers are still allowed for fishing as well.

--------------
"The mountains are calling and I must go." — John Muir
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Direct metallurgical evidence links to bullet fragments in larger game carcasses.
California Department of Fish and Game No Lead page;
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/

http://www.ventanaws.org/species_condors_lead/
 Post Number: 10
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NRA will fight this to the last man....I mean, last bird.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 11
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The world that favored the large soaring scavengers has passed. The megafauna are mostly extinct, with the largest cervid (moose) struggling, bovid (bison) barely saved, and the largest predators extirpated from the CA Condors range. The gene pool has been through a severe bottleneck event and there are plenty of toxins that we throw into the mix that are biomagnified; PCB's, organophosphates, mercury, lead. Todays ecosystems favor vultures that can make use of smaller, less toxic carcasses.

Having said that, I think that sports like hunting and fishing should not be putting so much lead into the environment.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 12
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am constantly amazed by the stubborn denial of some in the Hunting and Fishing Communities. Just like I think ATV and Dirt Bike Manufacturers should have PR campaigns about responsible riders not going off trails and tearing up terrain I would think ammunition manufacturers would want a better image too.

But just like ATV manufacturers know tearing up terrain is the image many prospects love I guess ammuntion manufacturers know that their customers want the deadliest ammunition they can get.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 13
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

U-238, the ammo that kills and kills and kills!

I could be a mad man, don't you think?

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 14
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are non toxic rifle bullets available today that perfom as well as lead.

I shoot the barnes TTSX bullet, it's metal is 99.97% copper.

It's one badass round compared to lead or any other metal.

Options do exist.

http://cartridgecomparisonguide.blogspot.com/2010....tml?m=1
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
Tacksman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Barnes makes terrific ammo. I for one use VOR-TX. Dont get me wrong, i love to hike, but i also love all of God's creatures, next to my mash potato's...

Opinions vary.

--------------
"The mountains are calling and I must go." — John Muir
14 replies since Nov. 16 2012, 8:52 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Lead from hunter's bullets put Condors at risk
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions