2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: F U, Whaaaat?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 11:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So two women went to the Arlington National Cemetery.

While there, they took a photo which they posted to their Facebook account.

Link to story

Now, there are a lot of people who want their heads on a spike....so to speak.

They say its a travesty and disgusting what they did.

But isnt it the reason why the soldiers fought for?

To preserve their right to take that picture and post it?

Discuss.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Clicking over, this is what I got -- hardly worth the fuss.  :p

Sorry, page can't be found
404 Error
The page you were looking for has gone missing. It has either been retired from our servers, or you were given a bum URL.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 2:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Curiosity killing the cat and all, I googled "two women", before I could type in "Arlington Park" I was offered the two women one cup video... which I declined to click upon. Finally I made my way to this:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012....outrage

The image was taken as their response to the sign not the location, for what they thought was basically their own private use, and they said they were sorry. What else does anyone want from them? they can't take it back, it's gone around the world by now. Another reminder to watch what you do online.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 4
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 3:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Nov. 21 2012, 8:35 pm)

Discuss.

Yep, we can all call it disgusting, but keep the government out of it. IOW, it has to stay legal.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 5
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 21 2012, 11:22 pm)
Clicking over, this is what I got -- hardly worth the fuss.  :p

Sorry, page can't be found
404 Error
The page you were looking for has gone missing. It has either been retired from our servers, or you were given a bum URL.

Sorry, Ben....here you go.

linky linky

--------------
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They have a right to be a-holes in public, yes.  Unless someone crosses the line to actually threatening them, then the public has the right to heap as much scorn, venom and rebuke upon them as it likes.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it has been blown out of proportion.  2 adults doing no harm to anyone, but managed to offend many when they posted it to their page.  Now, their employer is hoping it all blows over quickly, so they can go back to what they do.  In the meantime, the women are on unpaid leave.  I feel like the leave is too drastic, causing financial harm for a personal decision, no matter how poor a choice.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Nov. 21 2012, 11:35 pm)

No one is telling her she doesn't have the legal right to post it.  They're upset with her lack of discernment. Everyone is exercising their right to free expression.
 Post Number: 9
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Source:  Fox News (from Raz's link above)

I feel ambivalent about the photo:

1.  To me, the woman behaved like a 13 year old -- immature, and not funny at all.
2.  Should society, however, persecute folks who act immature for their age?  No.

Freedom and responsibility should go hand in hand.  The last thing we want is more laws / sanctions on personal behavior.  The best way to avoid that is to cherish our freedom by being mindful /  considerate of others.

But I also think the photo is blown way out of proportion.  Was the woman acting up during a military funeral -- or within sight / earshot of military families?  Or was she just trying to be funny -- having her photo taken without really bothering anyone nearby?  My guess is the latter.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 22 2012, 2:20 pm)

Source:  Fox News (from Raz's link above)

I feel ambivalent about the photo:

1.  To me, the woman behaved like a 13 year old -- immature, and not funny at all.
2.  Should society, however, persecute folks who act immature for their age?  No.

Freedom and responsibility should go hand in hand.  The last thing we want is more laws / sanctions on personal behavior.  The best way to avoid that is to cherish our freedom by being mindful /  considerate of others.

But I also think the photo is blown way out of proportion.  Was the woman acting up during a military funeral -- or within sight / earshot of military families?  Or was she just trying to be funny -- having her photo taken without really bothering anyone nearby?  My guess is the latter.

+1, except the photo itself, without any special context is kind of funny. If it were a cartoon, no one would give it a second thought.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 11
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think this is just a little joke that totally got out of control.
After all, those people buried in that cemetery fought for this
lady's right of freedom of expression.
 Post Number: 12
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not some message they sought to send out to the far ends of the earth, and who doesn't take pictures of themselves goofing off? I know of many who post far worse, and it goes unnoticed.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 13
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think this highlights how our culture has changed.

30 years ago a still spry WWII vet would have got in her face and probably told her in very memorable terms how inappropriate her behavior was and what a poor job of child rearing her parents did.   The vet's spry wife might have threatened her with fisticuffs.  The young woman would have seen the error of her ways and behaved or left.
No one would have tried to get the comedienne fired etc.

Today no one has the moral courage to confront her at the point of misbehavior.  Instead we try to get her fired or litigate.

Just another sympton of our transition to wuss nation.
 Post Number: 14
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems her employer didn't like it much....she got fired.

http://www.wtop.com/41....-outcry

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 15
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In tody's world it is hard enough to do something REALLY stupid and insensitive without it finding its way to the internet

Putting it their yourself takes an extra special type of idiocy

They have the right to say anything they want

Other people have the right to be offended

Their employer has the right to not employ morons

ask yourself this.....when they took their picture next to the no smoking sign would it have been funny if it was in the emphysema ward of a local hospital?

or just tasteless and rude

I am certain that if these women owned a restaruant chain you would all be shouting boycott :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Three @ Nov. 22 2012, 9:53 pm)

30 years ago a still spry WWII vet would have got in her face and probably told her in very memorable terms how inappropriate her behavior was and what a poor job of child rearing her parents did.   The vet's spry wife might have threatened her with fisticuffs.  The young woman would have seen the error of her ways and behaved or left.

Today no one has the moral courage to confront her at the point of misbehavior.  Instead we try to get her fired or litigate.

So two wrongs make a right?

How very Christian of you. [sarcasm]

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 17
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Freedom of 'speech'...yes.

Disgustingly crude and rude...yes.

:(
 Post Number: 18
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Nov. 23 2012, 9:45 am)

(Three @ Nov. 22 2012, 9:53 pm)

So two wrongs make a right?

How very Christian of you. [sarcasm]

And what would be the second wrong?
 Post Number: 19
atvtuner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Razz does rule.

--------------
"A land ethic, then, reflects the existence of an ecological conscience, and this in turn reflects a conviction of individual responsibility for the health of the land."

--Aldo Leopold
 Post Number: 20
davela Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 2:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The real question here is why do people post personal crap on the worldwideweb if they dont want the world to know about it?
For that matter when are idiots going to stop using facebook?Never,thats why they call them idiots.
I go to a local cafe and there will be a table of 3 or 4 people and they dont talk to each other,they are busy texting ???!!!!Same thing at the bar! WTF????

I wouldnt fire that chick for the salute she gave i would fire her for her inability to discern a firestorm,having any discretion or self-edit feature.

--------------

Protect Greater Canyonlands!

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Three, is threatening someone with fistiscuffs on your list of good deeds?

--------------
 Post Number: 22
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd say they have ever right to take that picture and post it.

And I'd also say their employer has every right to fire their a$$es for doing it.
 Post Number: 23
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well obviously there were like way more dislikes on the Facebook for this so that's  why she was canned.
 Post Number: 24
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meh.

There is a time and a place for everything, even lame attempts at humor for Facebook fodder.

She missed on both counts.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 25
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My understanding is that they were at Arlington Cemetary on a business sponsored visit. In other words they did that on the company dime.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 26
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Counseling for sure, firing is way too much.

As she wrote, a stupid, very stupid, mistake.

Also what part of the sign actually saying "Arlington National Cemetery", did she and the other fool not understand? Just the admonition portion and there'd be far less of an issue or none at all.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 26 2012, 9:43 am)

And I'd also say their employer has every right to fire their a$$es for doing it.

Yup. Employment is "at will", and thus an employer who gets cranked over an episode like this has a right to terminate the employee.

It seems extreme, but if the individual's stupid actions somehow become associated with her employer (like posting a picture on FB and telling all her BFFs "look what I did on my recent business trip for XYZ Mortuary Monument Co"), then she may very well be terminated for cause.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 28
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Nov. 26 2012, 11:42 am)

Yup. Employment is "at will", and thus an employer who gets cranked over an episode like this has a right to terminate the employee.

It seems extreme, but if the individual's stupid actions somehow become associated with her employer (like posting a picture on FB and telling all her BFFs "look what I did on my recent business trip for XYZ Mortuary Monument Co"), then she may very well be terminated for cause.

"for cause".

The cause being?

That's in direct opposition to your initial "at will", so which is it? "at will" or do they need to show a "cause"? Employment law could easily weight in on this and that would be Massachusetts employment law which will define their rights regarding their termination in regulation of their employer.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 26 2012, 2:51 pm)

(Hungry Jack @ Nov. 26 2012, 11:42 am)

"for cause".

The cause being?

That's in direct opposition to your initial "at will", so which is it? "at will" or do they need to show a "cause"? Employment law could easily weight in on this and that would be Massachusetts employment law which will define their rights regarding their termination in regulation of their employer.

"At will" and "for cause" are not opposing concepts.  "At will" means the employment contract can be broken without liability by either side provided the action does not violate any express contract governing the relationship and that the employee does not bargain collectively (belong to a union. I assume the employee is not unionized.

Terminated "For cause" means the employee did something against the interests of the company, and can be dismissed without recourse provided the company follows its own procedures for termination.

These concepts obviously introduce gray areas into the employment relationship. Many employers define "at will" in their employment handbooks and require an employee to sign it as part of their agreement.

Firing "for cause" requires documentation to support the decision. Acts like harassment, violence, theft, sabotage, etc. warrant firing on the spot, but firing for poor performance requires extensive documentation to justify the decision.

In this case, it would appear the "cause" would be acting "against the employer's interests", though I would doubt embarrassing herself and her employer on FB would be explicitly defined as such in the employment handbook.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 30
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I personally think getting fired was a bit harsh, though I agree that their employer had the right to do so, if they felt it necessary.

However, I think that many folks honestly do not realize the "public" nature of their Facebook page.  It's often treated as a personal space, that in theory, is only being "shared" with close friends and family (if indeed the privacy settings, are set correctly).  Obviously most anything posted anywhere on the internet can be found with just a few clicks on Google, but even I wonder how a picture that is generally just shared among family and friends, ever makes its way to the national news.  Perhaps, an old acquaintance who took offense began to spread the photo? Who knows?

Anyway, anybody else feel like this is a good example of why good old fashioned film cameras still have a place in our universe?  :D

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
38 replies since Nov. 21 2012, 11:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply F U
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions