2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A Short history of the Middle East< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 12:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since this was bound to turn political, I started it here.

Damn!  What is up with the embed? 

http://youtu.be/-evIyrrjTTY

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the embed code is not allowed in the TPA for some reason.
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-evIyrrjTTY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-evIyrrjTTY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

You're right!
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, embed doesn't work in TPA.  C'est la vie.

Regarding the video, it seems chillingly accurate, even if it was meant to be farcical in its delivery.  My irrelevant $.02 anyway.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Moral of the story:  If you're gonna take the land, exterminate the existing inhabitants (or a minimum 90%).   Ain't no place on Earth as peaceful as ours today.  :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Peace for any real length of time has proven to be a futile quest, at least since we have recorded history.  That shouldn't mean we no longer try for at least a stable cease fire for however long it can last.

I posted this here as I saw it was all too accurate, at least as far as I am aware.  In our own land, we wiped out some tribes, and nearly so all others.  That any Native Americans exist today is through no lack of trying to exterminate them by our ancestors (at least the ones that lived here at the time).  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
N2theWild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 26 2012, 5:52 pm)
Peace for any real length of time has proven to be a futile quest, at least since we have recorded history.

Man, it's almost as if the bible is true.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 8
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Nov. 26 2012, 5:56 pm)

Peace for any real length of time has proven to be a futile quest, at least since we have recorded history.

Yeah, I'll agree with you on that since more people have been killed in Christ's name than any other.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Nov. 26 2012, 3:48 pm)

Yeah, I'll agree with you on that since more people have been killed in Christ's name than any other.

Untrue, methinks.  The carnage produced under WWI and esp. WWII dwarfed all previous wars -- and neither was fought in Christ's name.   And in our own country, what was later called 'Manifest Destiny' killed off millions !!  ???

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jerusalem is Holy to believers of the three major monotheistic religions. They worship and pray to the same God. If they were truly faithful to God, Jerusalem would be an international city of peace and brotherhood.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Nov. 26 2012, 4:55 pm)
Jerusalem is Holy to believers of the three major monotheistic religions. They worship and pray to the same God. If they were truly faithful to God, Jerusalem would be an international city of peace and brotherhood.

Drifty:

Yeah, may as well say 'if they were truly faithful to God, then they wouldn't sin'.

There are many other religions in the world.  Heck, there are now more and more atheists.  Name one city -- or even community -- of peace and brotherhood.    :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah those guys were masters of the obvious.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 26 2012, 7:42 pm)

Drifty:

There are many other religions in the world; heck, there are now more and more atheists!  Can you name any city -- or even community -- of peace and brotherhood?  :;):

What's your point?

Are you suggesting an equivalence between the big three monotheistic religions and the unique situation of Jerusalem ... and every other religion  with atheism thrown in for good measure??

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Nov. 26 2012, 5:48 pm)

(Ben2World @ Nov. 26 2012, 7:42 pm)

Drifty:

There are many other religions in the world; heck, there are now more and more atheists!  Can you name any city -- or even community -- of peace and brotherhood?  :;):

What's your point?

Are you suggesting an equivalence between the big three monotheistic religions and the unique situation of Jerusalem ... and every other religion  with atheism thrown in for good measure??

I am suggesting that you seem to think that if people 'just practice' what they say they believe, then they wouldn't sin anymore and would live in total peace and love and harmony.

So obviously counter to human nature... Besides, as the saying goes, some of the meanest squabbles are 'family' squabbles!

Hey, if Buddhists practice what they believe, then they would be so selfless as to have no wants or desires -- and would attain Nirvana!

There are lots of good human beings who believe in Buddhism as there are good people who believe in Christ as there are good people who believe in no religion... but ALL have good days and bad days and there is NO city of love, peace and brotherhood anywhere on Earth.

You cannot take human nature out of the equation -- and then somehow 'fault' religion (any religion) for the absence of paradise on Earth.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, I think exactly the opposite. The faithful, if they are truly committed to worshipping God in how they live their lives and treat other human beings, need to do more than just believe.

If actual communications from a Supreme Being are the genesis of earthly religions, I think the purpose was teaching humans to act contrary to what you suggest is their nature.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Nov. 26 2012, 6:01 pm)
No, I think exactly the opposite. The faithful, if they are truly committed to worshipping God in how they live their lives and treat other human beings, need to do more than just believe.

If actual communications from a Supreme Being are the genesis of earthly religions, I think the purpose was teaching humans to act contrary to what you suggest is their nature.

Methinks both yes and no.  We have a good side and a bad side (stating the obvious).  Religion doesn't teach us to counter our nature -- but more to moderate  our nature.

Some people bemoan the continued absence of sustained 'heaven on earth' -- but it ought to be noted that thanks also to human nature -- there is no sustained 'hell on earth' either!

One other point -- and a question to you:  No doubt you too have a set of beliefs -- do you ALWAYS act in full accordance with your beliefs?  I think not.  Welcome to humanity.  Just don't fault the rest of us so harshly when we fall short.  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The good news is that there WILL be peace in that land

The bad news is that there WILL be peace in that land.

The antichrist will usher in a peace deal between those who have always been at war there. Unfortunately he will break that deal after a few short years. All hell will break loose. So, whenever you see peace in Israel, watch out. What follows isn't pleasant.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 18
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 9:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kinda hard to change course when, per the Old Testament, exterminating your enemies was standard operating procedure.  Be patient until everybody gets used to the new rules.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Nov. 27 2012, 7:56 am)

The antichrist will usher in a peace deal between those who have always been at war there. Unfortunately he will break that deal after a few short years. All hell will break loose. So, whenever you see peace in Israel, watch out. What follows isn't pleasant.

Kooky talk.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Nov. 27 2012, 5:56 am)

The antichrist strikes peace deals.  Got it.  Obviously, Christ is more the constant war-mongering type.

These vivid little windows into your mind are entertaining, if nothing else.  In a car-crash kinda way, anyway.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 27 2012, 12:45 pm)
The antichrist strikes peace deals.  Got it.  

Indeed.

He will have answers to the world's problems and be loved by the masses

...at first.

It's not hard to imagine when you look at how much of a failure Obama is, yet hordes still worship the guy (look no further than members of this forum).

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:laugh:

Obama just reached the status of antichrist.  Awesome.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Antichrist?

Hardly.

He's incapable of pulling that off.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let the record also show.... Andy Williams was a fantastic singer  :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 25
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Nov. 27 2012, 12:53 pm)

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 27 2012, 12:45 pm)
The antichrist strikes peace deals.  Got it.  

Indeed.

He will have answers to the world's problems and be loved by the masses

...at first.

It's not hard to imagine when you look at how much of a failure Obama is, yet hordes still worship the guy (look no further than members of this forum).

Agreed. It was all foretold in the Left Behind novels... a 7-year deal IIRC.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Nov. 27 2012, 9:53 am)

Indeed.  And ditto -- sadly -- the hordes who still worship Bush & Co.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 28 2012, 11:28 am)

(N2theWild @ Nov. 27 2012, 9:53 am)

Indeed.  And ditto -- sadly -- the hordes who still worship Bush & Co.

B. S.

I haven't seen members of this forum express anything amounting to "worship" for either Obama or GW Bush.

Plenty of assertions about who is/was a better/worse president and arguments defending/criticizing policies, but "worship" connotes a devotion akin to a cult of personality ... something the right is always accusing Obama supporters of in lieu of substantive argument.

The B. S. smells even worse when you consider the above-quoted exchange was in the context of N2W equating Obama with the antichrist.

So, B2W, was your "Indeed" reply intended as agreement with N2W's post?

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Nov. 28 2012, 10:12 am)
The B. S. smells even worse when you consider the above-quoted exchange was in the context of N2W equating Obama with the antichrist.

Silly.   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Nov. 28 2012, 1:12 pm)
N2W equating Obama with the antichrist.

I did no such thing.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 27 2012, 9:56 am)
:laugh:

Obama just reached the status of antichrist.  Awesome.

Elections have consequences.
50 replies since Nov. 25 2012, 12:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A Short history of the Middle East
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions