2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Music too loud? You deserve to die. "Responsible", gun owner open fires on unarmed teens.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 5:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How come we never hear about resposible gun owners who have saved someone's life because they were armed and in the right place at the right time? It seems that carrying is just another reason to react with violence.

Florida man pleads not guilty to shooting teen to death over loud music

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office
Michael Dunn is accused of the shooting death of Jordan Davis.
By Elizabeth Chuck, NBC News

A Florida gun collector has pleaded not guilty to a murder charge alleging that he opened fire on a car full of unarmed teenagers, killing one, in an altercation that police say stemmed from loud music.

Dunn and his girlfriend drove off and spent the night at their hotel, according to Schoonover, but witnesses took down his license plate number. Police arrested him Saturday morning at his home in Satellite Beach, Fla., on one charge of murder and three charges of attempted murder.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The lawyer's statements seem absurd, at least so far.

"His side of the story is he felt threatened and that is the reason he took action," Schoonover said.

On Monday, Dunn — a gun collector who shot at local gun ranges, according to authorities — pleaded not guilty in Brevard County court, with his attorney describing his actions as self-defense.

"Once all the facts come out, that what really happened is known, it will be very clear that Mr. Dunn acted responsibly and as any responsible firearms owner would have acted under these same circumstances," said his attorney, Robin Lemonidis, reported FirstCoastNews.com, the website for NBC station WTLV in Jacksonville.

If that was the case, why would he drive away, spend the night at a hotel, and when you hear the news the next morning, decide to flee, never turning himself in and instead needing to be tracked down by the cops?  That doesn't add up.

But then again, all I have is a news blip.  He'll see his day in court, and see what happens from there.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Music too loud -- you mean like bolding stuff that don't need bolding?  ???

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 28 2012, 6:12 pm)

Wow. Nitpick much. People bold for emphasis. If you don't like it, ignore it.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jcb @ Nov. 28 2012, 3:16 pm)

(Ben2World @ Nov. 28 2012, 6:12 pm)

Wow. Nitpick much. People bold for emphasis. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Wow.  Don't like somebody else's criticism?  But feel like you need to add yours in?

If you don't like it, ignore it.   :O

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 28 2012, 4:12 pm)

As I explained before, Ben, I BOLD headlines, Italicize content and link to sources. It's a way to differentiate between parts of the post.

I can't help if the bold-ing affects your eyesight.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Nov. 28 2012, 3:25 pm)

As I explained before, Ben, I BOLD headlines, Italicize content and link to sources. It's a way to differentiate between parts of the post.

Then quit complaining about other people's valid views toward carrying guns -- or not!  It's that simple.  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 28 2012, 4:26 pm)

Then quit complaining about other people's valid views toward carrying guns -- or not!  It's that simple.  :;):

1. What is the connection between how I post and owning guns?

2. My complaint was that we never hear about how gun owners saving lives. All we hear is how they use thier guns to kill.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Nov. 28 2012, 6:30 pm)

(Ben2World @ Nov. 28 2012, 4:26 pm)

1. What is the connection between how I post and owning guns?

2. My complaint was that we never hear about how gun owners saving lives. All we hear is how they use thier guns to kill.

Be careful DD, he might be armed.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 10
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And as only B2W can, another thread is derailed.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 11
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Nov. 28 2012, 2:42 pm)
How come we never hear about resposible gun owners who have saved someone's life because they were armed and in the right place at the right time? It seems that carrying is just another reason to react with violence.

Here you go. You're welcome.

Hardly a hero? Vic Stacy rejects the label, claiming he only did what had to be done

In all seriousness, it does seem impossible to keep irresponsible people from having guns. That doesn't mean the 2nd Amendment doesn't exist and we don't have to find some balance there.

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alright, back to topic then...

Methinks the reason why we hear far fewer stories about positive outcomes of gun ownership... is likely some combination of:

1.  When gun owners (Good Samaritans) save lives, it is often saving the lives of those threatened by other  gun owners (armed crooks)!  The issue of gun proliferation therefore remains.

2.  Our media feeds on the controversial.  Good Samaritan stories just don't make it to the front pages nearly as often -- guns or no guns.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd say it's the same reason why bad cops make the evening news.  Good cops just doing their jobs aren't that interesting even though we're far more common.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Nov. 28 2012, 3:50 pm)
I'd say it's the same reason why bad cops make the evening news.  Good cops just doing their jobs aren't that interesting even though we're far more common.

The same reason why good lawyers don't make the news...but I'll bet there are far fewer of us than there are good cops as a percentage, I'd guess...

--------------

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 15
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Nov. 28 2012, 5:42 pm)
How come we never hear about resposible gun owners who have saved someone's life because they were armed and in the right place at the right time?

Stories about all sorts of heroic acts are reported all the time.  The thing is, with the possible exception of police and military personnel, heroic acts rarely seem to involve armed heros.  Maybe that says something.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(yosemite girl @ Nov. 28 2012, 4:06 pm)

(JimInMD @ Nov. 28 2012, 3:50 pm)

The same reason why good lawyers don't make the news...

The same reason too, why countless priests and nuns who devote their lives to serving others are ignored (or at least unreported) -- while the despicable deeds of a minority are held up for repeated ridicule of all.  Ditto too for school teachers, scout masters, etc., etc., etc.

Speaks volumes of just who and what we are -- for better and for worse.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm betting he didn't vote for Obama.
 Post Number: 18
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Nov. 28 2012, 5:16 pm)

(desert dweller @ Nov. 28 2012, 5:42 pm)
How come we never hear about resposible gun owners who have saved someone's life because they were armed and in the right place at the right time?

Stories about all sorts of heroic acts are reported all the time.  The thing is, with the possible exception of police and military personnel, heroic acts rarely seem to involve armed heros.  Maybe that says something.

I'm certainly not denying that heroics exist. Of course they do.

What is the ratio of guns used (by citizens not civil workers) to save someone who would have been injured or killed vs the number of times guns are used to injur or kill.

The ratio seems to be pretty much one-sided.

For the record, I am not anti-gun. Never have been. Never will be.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 19
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Nov. 28 2012, 7:33 pm)
What is the ratio of guns used (by citizens not civil workers) to save someone who would have been injured or killed vs the number of times guns are used to injur or kill.

The ratio seems to be pretty much one-sided.

For the record, I am not anti-gun. Never have been. Never will be.

Hard number to figure out in all likelihood.  I'm sure the NRA and the Brady Campaign both have figures you could dig up.  Of course they're both skewed to their perspective by selectively adding or ignoring segments they don't like.

I will say that I suspect the overwhelming number of times that people have been "saved" by guns, they were saving themselves and not someone else.  It's just not expected for an armed citizen to go toward danger.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 20
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think every sane responsible law abiding citizen has the right to be armed.  The problem is filtering out the sane responsible law abiding citizens from those who are not.

In NY, we try to do that upfront before you get a permit to carry concealed.  The NRA thinks it should be the other way around - everyone gets a gun, then we take them away from people who do something insane, irresponsible or illegal with the gun.

So in the view of the NRA, even if Michael David Dunn is determined to have committed a crime or an irresponsible act or an insane act with his gun, the right result has been reached.  He got his gun and lost it only after he did something insane, illegal or irresponsible with it.

The problem with the NRA's position is that it doesn't account for the right of 17-year old Jordan Russell Davis to live free of Michael David Dunn's insanity, criminality, or irresponsibility.
 Post Number: 21
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

'I think every sane responsible law abiding citizen has the right to be armed.'

Why would that be? Why would a rational, sane person even want to be armed?

Isn't there something a little odd about people who feel the need to be armed in the first place? Insecurity? Paranoia? Gunsmith fascination?

What exactly is a law abiding citizen anyway? Does a guy that drives too fast according to the traffic laws, hates his neighbors, and cheats on his taxes and his wife deserve to own firearms?

Psychologically why do humans feel a need to own firearms in modern society? And, are people who have this compulsion more prone to following the other laws of society? Obviously they do trust other people to do so, eh?
 Post Number: 22
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"..even want to be armed?"

From their reasoned consideration of their own condition one can presume. Nogods construct, after all, says that. Here in the United States adults have the right to make that very personal decision. As in many personal choices I'm not going to presume to know better than they.

Do you psychologically feel the need to lock your doors and or have smoke detectors with fresh batteries in them? Locksmith fetish? Feel your ceiling needed some additional techie decoration?
 Post Number: 23
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Nov. 28 2012, 3:42 pm)

You mean something like this?
http://armed-citizens.com/ArmedCitizens/ArmedCitizens.aspx

BTW, a responsible gun owner doesn't unload on a bunch of unarmed kids just because they're annoying.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 24
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

.. It seems that carrying is just another reason to react with violence....

I think these loose laws may give a few hotheads and malcontents the encouragement to push the limits, especially in a stressful situation when a gun owner looses their cool.  

Right now there needs to be a detailed investigation and, if the gun owner is guilty, the appropriate punishment handed down.  I'm sure there's video tape covering the gas pumps.

Add, hope this isn't a trend towards solving problems with pistol duals  at 10 paces.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 25
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 28 2012, 9:03 pm)

You mean something like this?
http://armed-citizens.com/ArmedCitizens/ArmedCitizens.aspx

BTW, a responsible gun owner doesn't unload on a bunch of unarmed kids just because they're annoying.

A couple of things.

First, he was called a responsible gun owner by his lawyer, not me.

Second, reading the examples on the link you provided, it seems all except one or two were examples of self-defense. My question is why aren't there more situations of where armed citizens are preventing crime.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Nov. 28 2012, 7:03 pm)
'I think every sane responsible law abiding citizen has the right to be armed.'

Isn't there something a little odd about people who feel the need to be armed in the first place? Insecurity? Paranoia? Gunsmith fascination?

What exactly is a law abiding citizen anyway? Does a guy that drives too fast according to the traffic laws, hates his neighbors, and cheats on his taxes and his wife deserve to own firearms?

Psychologically why do humans feel a need to own firearms in modern society? And, are people who have this compulsion more prone to following the other laws of society? Obviously they do trust other people to do so, eh?

Because there are some very, truly scary people out there that will kill you?

Los Angeles during the LA riots, Oakland during some serious natural disasters, and living in some very scary neighborhoods with my dad made this rational, sane girl want to be armed in certain situations.

Have you ever had someone break into your house, at night? If they do that they KNOW someone is likely to be home. I'll never forget this happening at my place when I was a kid - maybe 8? Within 20 seconds my grandpa was up and out with the shotgun ready to go. They heard that thing and they were gone. What if he hadn't had it? Our property was the last lot still considered "county" rather than city, and it was at least a 20 minute wait for county sheriff to respond.

There are totally legitimate arguments for various regulations and restrictions, but saying wanting to be armed makes you irrational and insane?

I'm not sure that's a sustainable position.

--------------

Post Number: 27
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Getting back to the original incident, I hope that anybody who empties his gun into a carload of people and thinks that's the end of it will be precluded from future opportunities to do so.
 Post Number: 28
N2theWild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 7:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Nov. 28 2012, 6:30 pm)

Stop watching liberal main stream media channels and perhaps you will.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 29
N2theWild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Nov. 28 2012, 10:03 pm)

If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

Enjoy being a victim, Wuss.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 30
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

So are you like this because you've been laughed at by all the other kids Patsy? I've noticed you are quite a sensitive little flower.
73 replies since Nov. 28 2012, 5:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Music too loud? You deserve to die. "Responsible"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions