2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Why business love Texas, it's the new China< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Under Mr. Perry, Texas gives out more of the incentives than any other state, around $19 billion a year, an examination by The New York Times has found. Texas justifies its largess by pointing out that it is home to half of all the private sector jobs created over the last decade nationwide. As the invitation to the fund-raiser boasted: “Texas leads the nation in job creation.”

Yet the raw numbers mask a more complicated reality behind the flood of incentives, the examination shows, and raise questions about who benefits more, the businesses or the people of Texas.

Along with the huge job growth, the state has the third-highest proportion of hourly jobs paying at or below minimum wage. And despite its low level of unemployment, Texas has the 11th-highest poverty rate among states.

“While economic development is the mantra of most officials, there’s a question of when does economic development end and corporate welfare begin,” said Dale Craymer, the president of the Texas Taxpayers and Research Association, a group supported by business that favors incentives programs.

Lines Blur as Texas Gives Industries a Bonanza
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am no supporter of the Chinese government -- but both because of and in spite of its policies -- China the country has effected the most massive uplifting of people from abject poverty to lower middle class status.  Obviously, we are not talking about everyone -- but the number of people who has benefited (hundreds of millions in just 30 years) is unprecedented in the history of mankind.

India is hoping to achieve similar.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Addendum - posted the above because Texas is nothing like China -- for better and for worse.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great article! Thanks for posting the link.

I kept thinking as I read the article that Rick Perry would say, "The end justifies the means". I have noticed in my travels that the economy DOES seem to be better in Texas, especially around Austin, than the rest of the depression bit country. So he may have a point.
 Post Number: 5
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two comments:

1.  A poverty wage in Texas goes much MUCH farther than it does in New York or California.  So while the raw poverty rates in New York and California are lower than Texas, adjusted for the cost of living, poverty is lower in Texas than California and New York.

2.  The metropolitan area rated #5 for growth in the nation is San Antonio and the suburbs to its north.

The metropolitan area rated #2 for growth in the nation is Austin and the suburbs to its south.

I live in New Braunfels, almost exactly half way between San Antonio and Austin.  The growth in the San Antonio/Austin corridor is around 8%.  That's BETTER than China and even better than Vietnam.

The remakable thing about these growth numbers is that they do NOT include the effects of the recent Eagle Ford Shale development, which is creating thousands of jobs and pumping hundreds of millions into the local economy.

You can bad mouth the Texas economy all you want, but I left SoCal for Central Texas for a number of reasons, and at the top was the economy.  I work in aerospace, and aerospace is dying in California.  Indeed, manufacturing is dying in California.  And although I earn a bit less in Texas than I did in California, I have a MUCH higher standard of living in Texas than I did in California.
 Post Number: 6
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Dec. 04 2012, 6:14 pm)
And although I earn a bit less in Texas than I did in California, I have a MUCH higher standard of living in Texas than I did in California.

Good point.  Houses in Texas sell for a fraction of an equivalent house in CA or NJ.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 7
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Dec. 05 2012, 10:46 pm)

And although I earn a bit less in Texas than I did in California, I have a MUCH higher standard of living in Texas than I did in California.

Good point.  Houses in Texas sell for a fraction of an equivalent house in CA or NJ.

Not only is housing much cheaper in Texas, but utilities are much less, gas is much less, and there's zero state income tax.  Don't get me wrong, Texas has its share of problems and issues.  It's no paradise.  But my life here in Texas is in many ways WAY better than my life in SoCal was.
 Post Number: 8
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is an interesting comparison between Texas and California

Look at their Debt clocks

http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-d....ck.html

http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-d....ck.html

What I find interesting is the number of people on Food Stamps

They are nearly the same despite the fact that California has about 12 million more people
and Texas has the advantage of having energy industry right there.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 9
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 2:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the not too distant future the Governor and the state legislature of Texas will be filled and run by Mexican Americans.  I'm guessing that the wage picture will begin to change then.  

White men in Texas will have a great appreciation for the plight of Israelis in the mid-East when that time comes!  heh

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 6:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Dec. 06 2012, 2:40 am)
In the not too distant future the Governor and the state legislature of Texas will be filled and run by Mexican Americans.  I'm guessing that the wage picture will begin to change then.  

White men in Texas will have a great appreciation for the plight of Israelis in the mid-East when that time comes!  heh

Awwwww How sweet. 508 AM and already I have to read the name of the most useless territory in the history of mankind.6 million welfare cases stealing real estate and terrorizing the M.E. with you idiots tax dollars. IsNtReal.
Why cant I read about a real nation every time I open a news site or turn on the idiot box ?
Can We talk about Chile or New Zealand all day, every day, instead ?
How about Surinam or Portugal ?

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 11
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two comments:

1.  A poverty wage in Texas goes much MUCH farther than it does in New York or California.  So while the raw poverty rates in New York and California are lower than Texas, adjusted for the cost of living, poverty is lower in Texas than California and New York.

2.  The metropolitan area rated #5 for growth in the nation is San Antonio and the suburbs to its north.

The metropolitan area rated #2 for growth in the nation is Austin and the suburbs to its south.

I live in New Braunfels, almost exactly half way between San Antonio and Austin.  The growth in the San Antonio/Austin corridor is around 8%.  That's BETTER than China and even better than Vietnam.

The remakable thing about these growth numbers is that they do NOT include the effects of the recent Eagle Ford Shale development, which is creating thousands of jobs and pumping hundreds of millions into the local economy.

You can bad mouth the Texas economy all you want, but I left SoCal for Central Texas for a number of reasons, and at the top was the economy.  I work in aerospace, and aerospace is dying in California.  Indeed, manufacturing is dying in California.  And although I earn a bit less in Texas than I did in California, I have a MUCH higher standard of living in Texas than I did in California.

Of course you can bad mouth the Texas economy and its race to the bottom. (ny times line there) the lack of investment in education is a recipe for disaster in future years even as it thrives right now.
 Post Number: 12
Squaretop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Clean air and water don't seem to be at the top of their list either.  Just from my casual trips to go camping and fishing down there.

--------------
You can't buy time or memories.
"How'd I get involved".
11 replies since Dec. 02 2012, 8:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Why business love Texas
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions