2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Crist changes party.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 11:39 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did any of you see this coming?

Former GOP governor now a registered Democrat
Amanda Sakuma, @iamsakuma
10:52 am on 12/08/2012

It’s official: Charlie Crist, the former Republican governor of Florida, crossed party lines on Friday and registered himself as a Democrat.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When the core of your beliefs are abandoned by the party you belong to, when the extremists take over that party, often times a person looks around for a new home.  An all inclusive big tent is an easy place to retreat to during such times.  Apparently, the GOP has gone too far right for Crist, just as it has for Christ.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This possible change of parties has been talked about for a couple of years or more here in Florida.  Some say the start of the then Governor Christ downfall in the Republican Party began when he extended early voting days in the 2008 election.  Some of the Republicans blame the loss to Obama on the extending of the early voting.  He left the Republican Party and became an independent, ran unsuccessfully for the US senate and was an enthusiastic supporter of Obama in the recent election.  
Speculation is that he will run for Governor against Rick Scott.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 4
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, as the GOP has become dominated by the fringers,
the more reasonable people are turning away from the party.
 Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Plus, that little peripheral fact that he may be able to get elected Governor again as a Democrat and he has zero chance as a Republican.

Expect to see more of this changeover happening in Virginia, Texas, Arizona  and other states that are facing the demographic flip in the near future.

Lots of politicians are there purely for the power rush, they care not at all what they have to say and do to partake.  Not unlike heroin addicts, neh?

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Remember all those southern Democrats who suddenly became Republicans in the 60's and 70's??  

Time for their younger twins to do the reverse flip now.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 08 2012, 11:46 am)
 Apparently, the GOP has gone too far right for Crist, just as it has for Christ.  

I've haven't read about that one yet, but I bet it is going to make  for some interesting signage on the local churches, like "Sunday''s Sermon: Why did Jesus turned blue?"
 Post Number: 8
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Per the TampaBay Times: "Crist has been consistently opposed to taxes and gun control laws, but in many respects his record is appealing to Democratic activists and donors alike.

He has been a strong supporter of higher pay for teachers. He works for a leading trial lawyer. He was a leading advocate for civil rights as governor and attorney general. And though he describes himself as "pro-life," his voting record in the Legislature was mostly in favor of abortion rights. He has long been more of a populist than a pro-big business Republican."

He said his reason for changing parties was the Republican Party changed and left him.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Should an already elected politician be removed from office for changing from/abandoning the party and platform by which s/he was elected?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 08 2012, 8:46 am)
When the core of your beliefs are abandoned by the party you belong to, when the extremists take over that party, often times a person looks around for a new home.

A bit tangential, but that described me, starting with Bush W.  Very, very disappointed with the GOP.  Unfortunately, there is no alternative home that is even remotely appealing to me.

I can appreciate Crist's disappointment with the GOP.  But I wonder just how strong his convictions are toward the Democratic Party?  Maybe 100% strong and sincere.  Or maybe he finally decided to leverage (rather than fight) the Democrat-oriented immigration tide in Florida -- convictions be damned??

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Finally??  

Shirley, you jest!  

He has been shuffling toward the new majority party in Florida for several years, this is just a little bigger step leftward, IMO.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Dec. 08 2012, 1:58 pm)
Finally??  

Shirley, you jest!  

He has been shuffling toward the new majority party in Florida for several years, this is just a little bigger step leftward, IMO.

A very careful reader of tea leaves, perhaps?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 13
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 08 2012, 4:46 pm)
Should an already elected politician be removed from office for changing from/abandoning the party and platform by which s/he was elected?

Yes, because we don't want our elected officials to be able to evolve as they acquire more knowledge about any issue.  We want them to be stuck in the world as they know it on election day.  That way we can be certain we all remain as ignorant as possible.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds  like a do-over on some Soviet policy of the past.

What happened to that individual freedom thingy in the US Constitution??

You know, this one:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 08 2012, 1:46 pm)

Weird that you even ask this question, Wolf.  Is it because you feel (or would feel) betrayed?  Do you cast your votes in accordance with party machinery?  Maybe you should consider voting for the best qualified individuals instead?

George Washington himself warned against the formation of political parties.  He was right to be concerned.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given that Crist was not a current office holder, and hasn't been for about a year, I do not see that this change affects anyone else.  There is plenty of room for his views in the big tent.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 17
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 08 2012, 1:46 pm)

"party"?

Show me in the Constitution of the United States where such are even mentioned? Not there.

We're a Constitutional Republic right? Any such person (not Crist as he isn't in elected office right?) get's to stay and be judged as the Constitution provides: at their next stand before the voters in their next election.
 Post Number: 18
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Several of you took serious offense at a straightforward question.

But..... suppose Obama were to switch sides and proclaim his stand on higher taxes for the wealthy and his healthcare was wrong and he would now do his best to defeat anything supporting them. How many of you would be screaming for his head?

Maybe you should consider voting for the best qualified individuals instead?

I have been for years. They're all 3rd party.

get's to stay and be judged as the Constitution provides: at their next stand before the voters in their next election.

Kind of but not exactly. An elected official can be removed from office by a direct vote of citizens through a special recall election out of an election year.

Given that Crist was not a current office holder,

Which means the question doesn't apply to him.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 08 2012, 9:15 pm)
Several of you took serious offense at a straightforward question.

But..... suppose Obama were to switch sides and proclaim his stand [blah blah blah]

My expectation is that our elected officials devote their utmost to studying and thinking through the issues carefully - and then voting in accordance with their conscience for the good of our country.  Period.

I gave points to Bush, Sr. for facing up to facts and signing in tax increases (this was after the First Iraq War which did cost us a bundle).  I also faulted him for giving foolish/irresponsible "no new taxes" campaign promises.

In other words, two completely different issues and expectations:

1.  When campaigning, tell it to me straight, don't patronize me with false promises.  Yeah, most voters can tell.

2.  When in office, do what truly needs to be done for the good of our nation -- campaign promises secondary and party allegiance last of all.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 12:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Kind of but not exactly. An elected official can be removed from office by a direct vote of citizens through a special recall election out of an election year."

Very much varies by jurisdiction and not at all for federal positions*. So that's way too general IMHO.

I further expect party affiliation is less relevant than their voting and legislative activity since none of our state, local or federal government institutions, that I can recall anyway, are parliamentary in structure. So a party switch wouldn't necessarily be reflected in how they vote or draft legislation and odds are good might more reflect the shifting realities of party ideological drift having left behind particular members who come to feel they are a better fit with another group.

All of which is, of course, irrelevant to the OP as Crist is a private citizen at the moment.

Recall of Legislators and the Removal of Members of Congress from Office
* "As to removal by recall, the United States Constitution does not provide for nor authorize the recall of United States officers such as Senators, Representatives, or the President or Vice President, and thus no Member of Congress has ever been recalled in the history of the United States. The recall of Members was considered during the time of the drafting of the federal Constitution in 1787, but no such provisions were included in the final version sent to the states for ratification, and the specific drafting and ratifying debates indicate an express understanding of the framers and ratifiers that no right or power to recall a Senator or Representative in Congress exists under the Constitution. Although the Supreme Court has not needed to directly address the subject of recall of Members of Congress, other Supreme Court decisions, as well as the weight of other judicial and administrative decisions, rulings, and opinions, indicate that (1) the right to remove a Member of Congress before the expiration of his or her constitutionally established term of office is one which resides exclusively in each house of Congress as expressly delegated in the expulsion clause of the United States Constitution, and (2) the length and number of the terms of office for federal officials, established and agreed upon by the states in the Constitution creating that federal government, may not be unilaterally changed by an individual state, such as through the enactment of a recall provision or a term limitation for a United States Senator or Representative."

You gotta just love the Congressional Research Service eh? :)
 Post Number: 21
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Dec. 08 2012, 12:54 pm)
This possible change of parties has been talked about for a couple of years or more here in Florida.  Some say the start of the then Governor Christ downfall in the Republican Party began when he extended early voting days in the 2008 election.  Some of the Republicans blame the loss to Obama on the extending of the early voting.  He left the Republican Party and became an independent, ran unsuccessfully for the US senate and was an enthusiastic supporter of Obama in the recent election.  
Speculation is that he will run for Governor against Rick Scott.

That's interesting, a loss to Obama because of extended early voting. That just makes it possible for more people to vote. Of course we know that republicans fair better the fewer people get to vote, as not so candidly pointed out by Reagan's campaign advisor.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 22
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 08 2012, 11:46 am)
When the core of your beliefs are abandoned by the party you belong to, when the extremists take over that party, often times a person looks around for a new home.  An all inclusive big tent is an easy place to retreat to during such times.  Apparently, the GOP has gone too far right for Crist, just as it has for Christ.  

Wait, what?  Jesus is a democrat?!!  And you guys don't consider that declaration just a bit loony tunes?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You do remember his redistribution of wealth, right?  And all that welfare with the fishes and loaves??  Plus all that sympathy with the poor and homeless?  Big time socialist I would say, maybe even a Communist!

About as far from Republican values as one can get, neh?

ROFLMAO

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 24
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Dec. 10 2012, 6:09 pm)
You do remember his redistribution of wealth, right?  And all that welfare with the fishes and loaves??  

Redistribution of wealth?!  Please clarify.
"Welfare" by feeding a few thousand folks a single meal?

Plus all that sympathy with the poor and homeless?  About as far from Republican values as one can get, neh?
Sympathy is cheap.  Rs have just as much "sympathy" as Ds or even Jesus, but R's very different ways of expressing personal sympathy through governance that Ds.  This may come as a huge shock, but governments have no sympathy.  NONE.
23 replies since Dec. 08 2012, 11:39 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Crist changes party.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions