2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: When and Why did You ADOPT your Religion...?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KenV Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 7:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greetings, BPers...!!!

For the believers on the board, when and why did you adopt your religion and its associated beliefs?  Was it one event or a series of events that lead you to adopt your faith?

I'm interested in your replies.  THX.

KenV
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a Catholic, I was practically 'born into' my religion -- I think I was baptized when I was six months old.

Many Protestants have asked me why and how a babe could profess any sort of belief?  Well, the way I see it, if we are truly believers (in mind, heart and soul) -- then of course any baby born into the family would be  family!  Nobody waited for me to be old enough to profess myself as a member of the Tang family --  I was simply born into it.  And ditto with the one family of God.

But isn't that forcing one's beliefs?  Well, yeah, in a way -- just as we in the secular world "force" all our kids through school.  But church or state, both provide for plenty of chances of "opting in" or "option out" -- so in another important way, it isn't forced.

By "opting in" -- we Catholics make our own choice to reaffirm  our religious beliefs -- or not -- at around high school age (we call this the Sacrament of Confirmation).

By "opting out" -- anyone and everyone who share our Christian faith is free to come -- or to leave if otherwise.

So... the more important question for people in my case is how and why we choose to stay in?  What series of events strengthened our faith?

For myself, I feel the presence of God -- in studying His Word, in people, and all around our amazing world.  I feel at home and I feel I am on the path He had laid out for me.

As for folks who are Jewish or Muslims or Buddhists or Hindus or just atheists and are at ease and at peace with their beliefs -- then perhaps they too are on the paths meant for them.  Peace.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was raised in a suburban middle-class Presbyterian church in the 60s and 70s: pretty milquetoasty stuff. People in that environment had definitely (largely) stopped believing that the Bible was the literal, inerrant truth, but they hadn't really replaced that belief with a more workable one, yet.

I attended a few other traditions in college, and as a young, recently-married adult, ended up in a Church of the Brethren congregation that had loose denominational ties. I enjoyed the higher level of zeal people had for their religious convictions, compared to my childhood church. But after a few years I had a growing crisis of faith: I really couldn't respect, let alone worship, a God that damned people to hell, that intervened in some lives but not others, that expected people to "say magic words" about Jesus in order to be saved, etc.

Being an academic, I found a bunch of scholars who had explored these questions and started voraciously consuming their work. This is what kept me from leaving Christianity. I learned that there were people who took the Bible seriously without necessarily taking it literally. I learned that everything Jesus said about "the Kingdom of God" was likely not about "heaven" as we think of it: it was about a collaborative program to bring about God's realm on earth, here and now, IMHO. And so on.

We left our congregation and joined a progressive-minded Methodist church. When we moved cross-country a few years later, we ended up in a UCC church and have been with that denomination for almost 20 years now.

The UCC denomination has a slogan that I think sums up my religious beliefs well. "Our faith is 2000 years old. Our thinking is not."
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my case I was born in a Muslim nation (by population, the largest on the planet).  At a young age the country leaned communist and threw out anyone it did not consider "native".  I was the 6th consecutive generation in my familiy born there, but that was not native enough and we ended up as refugees in The Netherlands.  Just under two years later we emigrated to the USA.  Boston area.  Eventually we moved to California.

It was while in California that I became active in the LDS (Mormon) church.  I served a mission in The Netherlands and upon my return entered the Naval Academy.  In my early Navy days I drifted quite a bit.  I never "left" the church, but I did not really embrace it either.  I was eventually stationed in the SF bay area and while there I found my secular life very unsatisfying and decided to return to my faith.  It was a good decision for me.  At a church singles activity I met a girl and she soon became my wife.  We've been very active in the church since and raised our three kids in the LDS faith.  One served a mission.

There was no one defining event that confirmed my faith, but I've had several powerful personal spiritual experiences that have served to cement my relationship with God.  Some of my experiences were similar to the experiences described in the  thread on why people "gave UP" their faith, but they had the exact opposite effect on me.  It's kinda baffling how differently people react to the same event.
 Post Number: 5
Lisasvoice Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was christened as an infant in the Catholic church...welcoming me into the church family. I was raised as a Catholic, but my father's family is Baptist. I saw both of those views of things growing up. I think my faith in God will continue growing, as I meet people from all over the world of different faiths and views of the world. I hope I can respect other views indefinitely, without the need necessarily to see eye to eye. I find peace in that. I've learned that there is more than one way to view our place in the world, and that's a perfectly fine thing.

I can't say I've adopted a religion, more like they adopt me. I do feel I have a strong relationship with God...probably the best one I have.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lisasvoice @ Dec. 12 2012, 10:35 pm)
I do feel I have a strong relationship with God...probably the best one I have.

I wish I could say the same.  My relationship with my wife and my children is very strong.  In many ways stronger than my relationship with God.  But I'm trying to improve that.
 Post Number: 7
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Dec. 12 2012, 8:05 pm)
I wish I could say the same.  My relationship with my wife and my children is very strong.  In many ways stronger than my relationship with God.  But I'm trying to improve that.
That would be a big mistake.  There's nothing there to improve.  Don't trade reality for superstitious nonsense.

Perhaps people trading that reality for superstitious nonsense is why the Bible belt states have the very highest divorce rates in the USA.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don,

Is it possible for you to discuss this issue in a way that is respectful of other people's choices, and without generally being a dick?

If not (as appears to be the case, IMHO), then perhaps you should reconsider your participation in these threads.
 Post Number: 9
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was born and raised LDS, but when I approached the age where young men are expected (though not required) to serve a two year mission, I figured that if I was going to give up that large of a chunk of my life, I better be sure I knew what I was doing.
I won't go into the details, but through study, meditation, and prayer, I had experiences that made me comfortable with my choice. So off I went to France and Belgium for 24 months, came home, found a cute girl who would put up with me, and off we went. Two kids, thirty-two years now. Youngest daughter just returned from her mission service in Texas.
La Vie, ce nes't pas mauvais.
As with all things in life, especially religious things, I understand that YMMV.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"..understand that YMMV."

That's is often difficult to align with some religious traditions with a strong proselytizing ideology. And therein lies, as mentioned by others previously, a significant current source of tension. Especially perhaps as that tradition enlarges into the governmental realm and force of law. DOMA for instance, or the various other anti-equality marriage legislative initiatives.
 Post Number: 11
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:18 am)
Don,

Is it possible for you to discuss this issue in a way that is respectful of other people's choices, and without generally being a dick?

If not (as appears to be the case, IMHO), then perhaps you should reconsider your participation in these threads.

+1.

Don -- notice my absence in the thread "When and Why Did You Give Up on Religion"?  While I am an enthusiastic believer, I respect  the fact that many may not (or may no longer) feel any relationship with a supreme deity / deities.  And that thread was created for them  to voice their thoughts and experiences.

Similarly, this thread is for believers to share.  One can disagree and be respectful.  There is no conflict until you create one.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that's sometimes why folks get on the political forum...to poke fun and create conflict, religious or otherwise. It's a boredom buster. DonTom, I guess the pup was out of the room. Couldn't pick on him, huh? My pup is pretty dang unsuspecting. I snuck up on him today when he was staring down a prairie dog...just touched him on the back. He nearly landed on the moon.

KenV, you have a strong relationship with your family. But don't you see...in that way you strengthen your relationship with God. Like a parent warmed at the sight of goodness and love shared by his children, God feels the love you have for your family, and it reinforces his love for you. It's what creates a strong bond. Sharing that love is a celebration meant not just for you, but for God Himself.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lisasvoice @ Dec. 13 2012, 8:27 pm)
KenV, you have a strong relationship with your family. But don't you see...in that way you strengthen your relationship with God.

I totally agree.  Before marriage I had a pretty good relationship with god.  That improved after I was married.  That improved even more after we started having kids.  That's one reason why the LDS church puts such a heavy emphasis on family: it's a natural way to build a personal relationship with god.

Like a parent warmed at the sight of goodness and love shared by his children, God feels the love you have for your family, and it reinforces his love for you. It's what creates a strong bond. Sharing that love is a celebration meant not just for you, but for God Himself
.Again, I agree.  I'm very aware of his love for me and his interventions in my behalf.  I'm tremendously blessed, and feel closer to him now than I have ever felt.  But I feel that after all the blessings I've received I should be better than I am and more spiritual than I am, and in that way closer to god than I am.
 Post Number: 14
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 2:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don,

I suppose it's possible, but I prefer to give my honest opinions.

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

KenV, in fear of sounding cutesy, just pass out hugs faithfully to those you love and remain grateful to the good things in your life. Like anyone who gives, it's nice to know when you're appreciated, and I think God senses that too.

Don, some of us appreciate your honesty, and know you through this forum. Even if you sounded cold-hearted (a dick?...harsh). How's Trixie? And you have another pup (I could be mistaken)? Give them a pat for me. Maybe some table scraps.
 Post Number: 16
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben did a solid job summarizing what I, too, believe is my own similar spiritual journey in the Catholic Faith.  Now, I am trying to do the same for my children; setting the stage for them to fully realize - and appreciate - the Faith into which they were born.  

Ours is not a family where we "scare" our children into staying with the Faith out of fear of "eternal damnation," rather we focus on what we as parents feel is their best course for studying, understanding, and having a structure for the life and spirituality God meant for us to have as His children.  

Belief in God and practice of one's Faith is no promise for a life without difficulties (really quite the opposite); rather it is the understanding of Hope in something much more meaningful as well as the guidance, wisdom and intersession of those who have come before them, and the knowledge that the Faith will endure even in the toughest of times.  

...and Don, for what it's worth, I'll pray for you.  Peace, Brother.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 17
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been a follower of Christ since I was 5.  This does not mean I am an example of moral fortitude... far from it.  I make plenty of mistakes and hurt others.  My religion is not defined by following rules but by seeking what Christ wants to do through me through loving Him and others through my words and actions.

I like to say it this way... I am fallible, a fool, a hypocrite and the lowliest of men when I have tried to live life apart from God.  I believe that Jesus is the one who took the burden of us all upon himself, dying and coming back to life for everyone to restore us as his children.  I am the prodigal son, and yet He is running with open arms to meet me and welcome me back home.  In other words, he is the one who adopted me.  I am also encouraged by my family and friends who have their own stories of how God has walked with them through thick and thin.

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 18
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AggieHiker92 @ Dec. 14 2012, 8:03 am)
...and Don, for what it's worth, I'll pray for you.  Peace, Brother.

And what is that supposed to do? The reason I ask is because people have been praying for me all of my life, and it seems to cause me to get more this way, if it does anything at all.

I think the problem with prayer is that:

"What men usually ask for when they pray to God is, that two and two may not make four."
--Russian Proverb

Buy okay, I will stay out of this thread from now on.

Perhaps I can straighten  all you guys out in another thread someday.

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Dec. 14 2012, 2:33 am)

Don,

I suppose it's possible, but I prefer to give my honest opinions.

-Don-

I see.  So being honest and being respectful (or even just tactful) are mutually exclusive in your world?

Some people live in a very sad world.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually, Don got onto this thread, so like everyone else, he's curious what people say. Yes, I'm talking about you, Don. Read on. Not a biggie. The rest of us can get back to the original thought behind this thread, I suppose. Guys, Don has an opinion, which he shared. His remark to KenV was a hint that he honors KenV's relationship with his family, and feels he should focus on that, which is more concrete and less of a mystery than faith in God. But essentially his value in family ties are worth commenting on.

Back to my home life. The kids let all four of my birds out of their cages (for ethical reasons), and they've been flying around here all day. I now have two finches and two parakeets that think heaven is shining on them right now. I was OK with them hanging out in my Christmas tree, but when I found one of the finches sitting on the rim to my coffee cup, I decided they need more supervision...as do my kids.
 Post Number: 21
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually, Don got onto this thread, so like everyone else, he's curious what people say. Yes, I'm talking about you, Don. Read on. Not a biggie. The rest of us can get back to the original thought behind this thread, I suppose. Guys, Don has an opinion, which he shared. His remark to KenV was a hint that he honors KenV's relationship with his family, and feels he should focus on that, which is more concrete and less of a mystery than faith in God. But essentially his value in family ties are worth commenting on.

Back to my home life. The kids let all four of my birds out of their cages (for ethical reasons), and they've been flying around here all day. I now have two finches and two parakeets that think heaven is shining on them right now. I was OK with them hanging out in my Christmas tree, but when I found one of the finches sitting on the rim to my coffee cup, I decided they need more supervision...as do my kids.
Yeah, Don has just as much right to his opinion on this thread as anyone else. It is, after all, a public forum. So, I agree with you.

I wish I could help with the freed birdies, but life’s just jam full of contradictions like that. That’s why I gave up trying to not shop at WalMart – it’s stupid to think that they’re much different than any one of a dozen other mega-corporations. I’m doing the best I can under the circumstances, but I no longer think I’ll change the whole frickin’ world with my actions. I’m just muddling through the best I can, and trying not to kill anyone. I recycle, and I try not to do stuff that makes life harder for others, but I probably don’t do a great job of it.

Actually, Lisa, this current “KenV thread” is, in fact, not the original thread, and recognizing the nature of the original thread:
"When and Why did You give UP on Religion...?"
and this thread’s predictable overreaction to it makes a point that I think is most important in regard to this very topic (and the "What Motivates Atheists to be Anti Religous?" thread)

To wit: the religious are oftentimes so unusually sensitive to any negative response to their chosen religion or faith, they cannot sit still for even the slightest exhibition of denigration of same. Even so, it is absolutely clear that the “local forum religious” felt little or no compunction about joining in on that other thread, despite its topic not having any application to them at all, and despite a significant (and hypocritical) attitude re this one by some (or one) that it was “for the religious only”. They just couldn’t help themselves either way. “Atheism” (or any other of a variety of “atheisms”, as in “anything other than Christianity (or Islam, or Judaism, or Buddhism – pick your favorite, whatever your particular view of the world might be)” is not acceptable. Christians aren’t any less enthusiastic about pointing out your failings than any of those other religions – they may not burn anyone at the stake anymore, but they have their ways of making it clear that those “outside” are completely unacceptable as human beings, being, as they are, not “of the faith”.

This “oversensitivity” to negative evaluation of their faith is endemic to religions of all kinds, and has been the root I suppose, in its worst manifestations, of persecution and killing of persons outside of dominant religions for thousands of years of human history. As I stated in that other thread, I suspect that religion was an outgrowth of initial tribal identification systems during the dawn of mankind itself. That’s certainly not very scientific, of course – just an opinion/observation – but, in my own estimation, it accounts for the phenomenon better than any mythological story of creation by a mythical super-being.

KenV doesn’t even recognize the absolute irony in his statement:

(KenV @ Dec. 14 2012, 6:47 pm)
I see.  So being honest and being respectful (or even just tactful) are mutually exclusive in your world?

Some people live in a very sad world.
When KenV, and a whole lot of others of the same ilk, if not the exact same religion, consistently and repeatedly hold forth on the nature of those outside of their own faith as “heathen” or “lost” or whatever, they simply don’t see it as “disrespectful” or “tactless”. I guess I understand such a statement about one’s “lack of the spiritual” or “lack of the divine” doesn’t seem, in each of their narrow worlds, to be a “criticism”, but it is somewhat tactless and disrespectful in its own way, isn’t it, now? You may very well believe that “you have the truth of Jesus Christ Our Lord and Savior” yourself, but truth is, like it or not, a relative deal. What works for you may not work for me, and vice versa. In a much bigger context of history and of the entire cosmos, you may very well find that you are in the minority, religion/philosophy-wise. You may very well be a “heathen”, and probably are, in someone else’s worldview. This probably even applies in your very own sweet little hometown, assuming you are Christian and live in Saudi Arabia or some other such place. What goes around comes around.

Take this, for example:

(CampinCarl @ Dec. 14 2012, 11:14 am)
I like to say it this way... I am fallible, a fool, a hypocrite and the lowliest of men when I have tried to live life apart from God.  I believe that Jesus is the one who took the burden of us all upon himself, dying and coming back to life for everyone to restore us as his children.  I am the prodigal son, and yet He is running with open arms to meet me and welcome me back home.  In other words, he is the one who adopted me.  I am also encouraged by my family and friends who have their own stories of how God has walked with them through thick and thin.
I’m sure CampinCarl is doing just fine with his religion, and I have to read that first sentence as applying only to CampinCarl for it to make much sense to me. I’m fine with CampinCarl and his religion and its apparent salubrious effect on him personally. More power to him.

But then he moves right into the global without so much as a pause, claiming that Jesus “took the burden of us all”. I guess that’s somehow required: you have to believe that your particular faith, whatever it is, is “global” if it’s to make sense for you. It’s a psychological peccadillo of sorts, I suppose – to actually admit that there are really multiple paths, and perhaps even multiple gods or even multiple creators and multiple ways of thinking, all simultaneously and without there being any concern for “overlap” or “conflict” – well, that’s taboo in a big way. It is a rare individual indeed who can see that it matters not one whit that the universe provides us with multiple “true paths”. (It occurs to me that those who most proclaim the advantages of “free enterprise” and “individual freedom” are often the very same ones who believe there is but one “true path” when it comes to religion. Why is that? Is it fallout from the influence of Max Weber?)

Further, yet another “religion factoid”: Keep in mind that you very likely may have been approached at one time or other by individuals or groups from various religious faiths 1) on your doorstep, 2) on the street in bloody daylight (or even on a dark street, for that matter), 3) while driving, or even 4) at work, who ask you basically the same question: “Have you found Jesus/Krishna/Buddha/whoever?” (But, mostly Jesus, ‘cause that is the big religion/faith thing in these parts.)  I always like to counter with, “No, I didn’t know he was lost!”, but – just trying to inject a little very stale humor into the lives of the missionaries there.

These people may come from any number of “faiths” - I myself seem to be especially subject to those “tower people” (Jehovah’s Witnesses), Mormons (My first question for pairs of Mormon missionaries: “If you really believe in the word of Jesus, how do you justify that big cathedral in Utah?”), Baptists (of course – there are thousands of Baptist churches alone in Austin. One would have to be foolish indeed to think there are no Baptists or that one was immune to their influence – at one time, I myself was a “Baptist” during childhood), Methodists and the occasional odd holy roller/Church of God/Church of Christ, etc.. I’ve even been approached on the street near the university, long ago in the 70s, by dancing groups of Hari Krishna dudes, who gave me handouts. (What ever happened to those guys? Did the stricter security in airports doom them?)

However, think back: how many times has an individual (or a group) approached you on a mission to convert you to atheism?

My bet would be a big, fat zero. At least, that’s been my experience. That alone is a huge difference between most religions and the “atheist religion”. Maybe if there were more of them, it would be different, but I doubt it. Atheists mostly just want to be left alone.

Finally, this current thread is an example of a familiar “thread tactic” of KenV’s, and is the reason, I suspect, for all the other “When and Why did you…” threads that came shortly thereafter. KenV does this so often he’s become a virtual parody of himself.
 Post Number: 22
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Dec. 16 2012, 11:07 pm)
However, think back: how many times has an individual (or a group) approached you on a mission to convert you to atheism?

Would this be because the public school system does the heavy lifting for them?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 12:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Three @ Dec. 16 2012, 10:55 pm)

(Gabby @ Dec. 16 2012, 11:07 pm)

Would this be because the public school system does the heavy lifting for them?

Like I always say: "Prick a believer in mythology and they only bleed more mythology."

I suppose that, from your viewpoint, that's completely true. Your school system doesn't preach your "gospel", so you aren't satisfied.

There are a lot of different religions represented by those children - which one do you think should dominate in the school's presentations?

Silly question for a committed believer, isn't it?
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 3:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drowning out hatred with love in NY...
VIDEO: "In Times Square, protestors counter an anti-Islamic speech by pastor Terry Jones ... by singing the Beatles."
All you need is love...
All you need is love...
All you need is love, people...
All you really need is love.

Stop hating people because they don't believe in your religion.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 7:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Dec. 16 2012, 11:40 pm)
There are a lot of different religions represented by those children - which one do you think should dominate in the school's presentations?

Silly question for a committed believer, isn't it?

Nah--it's a perfectly reasonable question.

You really should stop arguing against straw-men. If you think that's an effective point to make in counter to the poster you are responding to, then fine, make it, in that context. (And I agree with you, FWIW.)

But painting all "committed believers" as intransigent and unreasonable on this issue is no different than painting all Irishmen as drunken brawlers, or whatever.

Besides not being very nice, it's also not a very persuasive form of argument.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Dec. 16 2012, 10:07 pm)
Yeah, Don has just as much right to his opinion on this thread as anyone else. It is, after all, a public forum. So, I agree with you.

This is kindof silly.

Of course Don has a right to express his opinion in this thread or anywhere else. No one is claiming otherwise. My original objection was not to him expressing his opinion--it was to him expressing his opinion in ways that are rude and disrespectful to other posters.

Suppose I have friend who thinks my wife is fat and unattractive and he simply cannot fathom why I made the choice to marry her. Suppose he said to me: "Your wife is fat and unattractive. I simply cannot fathom why you made the choice to marry her." Suppose then I responded, "Why are you being such a dick?" And he responds "I'm just giving my honest opinion."

Yes, it's an honest opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that he's being a dick in how he is expressing it.

It's just an analogy--I'm not saying the two situations are identical. But expressing an honest opinion is not a blanket excuse for rudeness. Opinions can be expressed in ways that honor difference and honor others' choices.
 Post Number: 27
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Dec. 13 2012, 11:43 am)
Perhaps people trading that reality for superstitious nonsense is why the Bible belt states have the very highest divorce rates in the USA.

-Don-

Logical Fallacy Alert!  Non sequiter!

Next time, Don, try using an argument that is logically valid and empirically sound.

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Dec. 17 2012, 8:01 am)

(Gabby @ Dec. 16 2012, 10:07 pm)

This is kindof silly.

Of course Don has a right to express his opinion in this thread or anywhere else. No one is claiming otherwise. My original objection was not to him expressing his opinion--it was to him expressing his opinion in ways that are rude and disrespectful to other posters.

Suppose I have friend who thinks my wife is fat and unattractive and he simply cannot fathom why I made the choice to marry her. Suppose he said to me: "Your wife is fat and unattractive. I simply cannot fathom why you made the choice to marry her." Suppose then I responded, "Why are you being such a dick?" And he responds "I'm just giving my honest opinion."

Yes, it's an honest opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that he's being a dick in how he is expressing it.

It's just an analogy--I'm not saying the two situations are identical. But expressing an honest opinion is not a blanket excuse for rudeness. Opinions can be expressed in ways that honor difference and honor others' choices.

+1

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was born into the LDS (Mormon) religion, and was baptized when I was 8 years old.  I served a mission to Brazil when I was 19.

My experience is much like Buzzards'. I felt that if I was going to preach the Word, I had better be sure for myself. Following the guidance from the Book of Mormon, I asked God if it was all true.  In repsonse, I gained a testimony of the veracity of the Church, Jesus's Gospel and doctrine before I went on my mission.

Later, I married my wife in the St. Louis Temple, and we have raised our 6 children according to our beliefs and to the best of our ability.

This is not to say that I have not doubted my faith occasionally. I have.  But I have always returned to it after working through those doubts. I believe I have been blessed, even protected, by my choice to remain active in the Church.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

School presentations was mentioned. My daughter is in high school, and sings with the choir. The choices of music were truly a lot of fun. Not only did they sing traditional Christian choir pieces, but southern gospel, jazz, Hebrew songs, and of all quirky and totally cool things...they sang the Avatar song, which ran powerfully alongside the other pieces, and brought more tears to our faces than any of the others, even though the lyrics were all made up "words". Picture a couple hundred teens belting it out. The auditorium shook with spiritual gusto. The power of Music!

I wonder if music itself brings on the spiritual side of "believers" and "non- believers" alike. It turns on that emotional part of our brains that make us feel so soulful. There is a reason music has such a solid place in churches. Imagine a service without it (and I'm sure there are ones that don't). Most seem to, knowing what it does for our souls. You don't have to be religious to be touched by music.

Just like going to a movie with a good soundtrack. It's often the music that stirs us and stays with us the longest. In fact, these days, if there isn't a good soundtrack, the flick gets lost in the shuffle. I know I have my favorites, but that's another thread in the making.

We all have to "endure" Christmas music in stores this time of year. For some of us, it sets the mood for the season, for others, when they start the music playing in November, it's time to protest. We tie the music to the holiday, knowing it "belongs" with December 24-25. It would be like playing Star Wars music during a Star Trek showing...something's wrong with this picture. We're funny that way. The merchants just hope we listen and want to spend money.

For me, I just want to go home and watch Avatar.
39 replies since Dec. 10 2012, 7:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply When and Why did You ADOPT your Religion...?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions