2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Eliminate Medicare, The program is the single biggest factor< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bass Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 8:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Medicare is the Budget Buster
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So your solution is to kill off the elderly. At least you're consistent in your disdain for humanity.
 Post Number: 3
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about the DoD?

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 4
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The problem is the health care industry where the cost has been increasing far in excess of inflation.  This profit making enterprise does not work well for health care!  Under the current payment system the more you do the more money you make and is does not really matter if the services were really needed.  The ACA does address some of the fee for services but is certainly not aggressive enough.  

Most folks have seen the cost of their health insurance increase annually often with decreased coverage.  This cannot continue for long before most folks are priced out of insurance coverage.  Currently the cost for a single coverage averages$ 5,615 and a family policy $15,745, no wonder there are a lot of folks cannot afford health insurance.   The per capita spending on health care was $380 in 1970 and in 2010 was $8,402.  The deductions that you pay for Medicare have in no way been able to keep up with the soaring cost of healthcare.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 5
davela Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 4:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bass,why are you so anti-social,anti-humanity,anti-civil?You advocate 3rd world concepts.Its bizarre.Are you an inanimate object like a stool,keyboard or car bumper?

--------------

Protect Greater Canyonlands!

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Health care consumption is most likely up as well both from the leading edge of baby boomers and as a consequence of a factor noted in a different context: from the self selected group that seek out military service 3 out of four are inadmissible due to obesity, of the remainder, 65% cannot pass the entry physical fitness criteria.

Profit, technology improvements and fee for service no doubt play a part but I suspect the demand side issues are a larger player than many acknowledge, though that is slightly changing as with Bloomberg's sugar initiative. Michail Pollan speculated that might be one consequence of the PACA legislation: positioning "Big Insurance" [i]against "Big Food" on the national stage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009....ll&_r=0

Which had, for me, this intriguing observation: "According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, three-quarters of health care spending now goes to treat “preventable chronic diseases.” Not all of these diseases are linked to diet — there’s smoking, for instance — but many, if not most, of them are."

I expect there will be a total cost floor below which it will be difficult to go absent demand side solutions.
 Post Number: 7
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good point - The American way of eating has become the elephant in the room in the debate over health care.

But raising the age of Medicare eligibility first to age 67, then to age 70, and up to age 75 in 2030 would help to gradually bring the cost of this welfare program for old people under control. That might be more politically acceptable than abruptly eliminating the entitlement.

This could be done as we start the proposed raises in Social Security full retirement ages and begin means testing benefits.

These steps, along with eliminating the mortgage interest deduction, would eliminate the need to raise capital gains taxes and raise the taxes on the upper 2% of earners - the job creators.

Addressing the Western diet and chronic diseases would save even more money and maybe even allow taxes on incomes above $250,000 to be completely eliminated.
6 replies since Dec. 10 2012, 8:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Eliminate Medicare
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions