2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cowboys consider immobilization device for players< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 10:14 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Obviously, we do whatever we can do," Hill said somberly before Sunday's game at Paul Brown Stadium, alluding to the team's educational programs. "I don't know what more we can do. We're always examining and going over things."

Hill said the team could mandate that Cowboys players have electronic devices designed to immobilize vehicles when a driver is impaired. The device, SafeKey, includes a small fob that is attached to the key ring, which sends electronic signals to a complementary device that can prevent a vehicle from starting if a driver doesn't pass a test based on color-coded light emissions.

"We are considering that," Hill said.

Full story:

http://www.usatoday.com/story....1757019

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sad news is that this device is not required on each and every vehicle.  If we can require air bags, why not something that would save so many lives?  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 11 2012, 10:59 am)
The sad news is that this device is not required on each and every vehicle.  If we can require air bags, why not something that would save so many lives?  

A friend of mine has a court mandated immobilization device in their car. I took if for a spin last Thursday, just to see what it was like to drive with one. Maybe you get used to it after a while, but I've never been so distracted and anxious driving in my life. The GPS on the dash, the camera with four red lights trained on my face, and the beeping box made driving a very invasive experience. In 20-minutes, the box made me blow FOUR times.

The idea that these boxes would someday be required in all cars is horrifying. Not only did I find the system of flashing lights and beeps extremely distracting, but the thought that the state would be tracking, watching and listening to us (even more than it already does) is frightening.
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As with any other invention, I am sure there would be improvements.  I agree with your assessment of that device.  It would be very distracting and bothersome.

The device most commonly installed today links to the ignition, and requires the driver to pass a test before the vehicle can start.  In one instance, colored lights must be re-entered in the correct order, much like that childhood disk.  Difficult to do when sober , but nearly impossible when impaired.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 11 2012, 11:30 am)
In one instance, colored lights must be re-entered in the correct order, much like that childhood disk.  Difficult to do when sober , but nearly impossible when impaired.  

Sounds like one of those things that's EASIER to do when drunk... like bowling, darts, or billiards.

Although it would also prevent about 50% of the elderly from driving, too... so maybe it is worth looking into.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Dec. 11 2012, 11:19 am)

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 11 2012, 10:59 am)

A friend of mine has a court mandated immobilization device in their car. I took if for a spin last Thursday, just to see what it was like to drive with one. Maybe you get used to it after a while, but I've never been so distracted and anxious driving in my life. The GPS on the dash, the camera with four red lights trained on my face, and the beeping box made driving a very invasive experience. In 20-minutes, the box made me blow FOUR times.

The idea that these boxes would someday be required in all cars is horrifying. Not only did I find the system of flashing lights and beeps extremely distracting, but the thought that the state would be tracking, watching and listening to us (even more than it already does) is frightening.

+1. Some people seem to have no problem with the any extent of intrusion to civil liberties. The easy answer to the few irresponsible always seems to be to inconvenience or punish the vast majority.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

And the day my EMPLOYER mandates that I install such a device on my car is the day I start looking for a new employer.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
6 replies since Dec. 11 2012, 10:14 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cowboys consider immobilization device for players
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions