2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dozier school for boys, Hell is not hot enough< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 6:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm speechless....

http://www2.tbo.com/news....-580450

Something tells me there's much more to this story....sickening...what these kids claim to have suffered at this place.

"Middleton and Cooper are among the so-called "White House Boys," a group of men who claim they were lashed unmercifully with a leather strap in a cottage known on the campus as the "White House" in the 1950s and '60s. Cooper said he barely survived a 135-lash beating in the White House.

Inmates also told of rape, isolation, hog-tying and other atrocities. Some said they saw boys led away, never to return. And they remembered a graveyard, eventually grown-over and containing 31 unmarked crosses made of pipe."

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A 13 year old sent there for trespassing, and died 30 days later...

Quite a harsh sentence for trespassing.
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"The Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigated, concluding that there was no foul play and that the 31 graves contained the bodies of 29 boys and two adults who were accounted for."

How anyone can stare at 29 boys buried next to a 'reform school' and conclude no foul play is beyond me.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Dec. 11 2012, 6:41 pm)
A 13 year old sent there for trespassing, and died 30 days later...

Quite a harsh sentence for trespassing.

There's quite a bit more on this as several Florida news papers are reporting on it.

One newspaper called it an american "concentration camp".

Orphans were also sent there......

This is truly a sad situation and one that angers me greatly.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, horrifying, I'd read that somewhere as well. Similar, but in more revealed detail, to the Magdalene Laundries horror. With similar body counts... 133 discovered at one convent alone...
 Post Number: 6
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, what a horror story.  What kind of sickos ran this place?
 Post Number: 7
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This school has been in the news for years here in Florida.  It is still not known how many graves there are on the property as there are no records of who was buried where.  In the early 70’s a couple of my friends that live in the area worked at Dozier as school teachers.  They all left after a couple of years because of the conditions.  I visited the facility once and the physical conditions were pretty bad.  As a kid in the 60’s I knew of this place and it was not the place that I would want to be sent to.  

This school was not a reformatory it was a place that dealt out punishment for most any small infractions of the rules.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've heard stories about places such as these when I was a kid.

How many more of these type places existed across the country?
The  book and a movie "Sleepers" is about a similar place in New York that's classified as non-fiction.

Is this just the tip of the iceberg?

--------------
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"existed"

Given it only closed a year or so ago I'd be concerned the past tense for that is possibly and tragically not accurate.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Absolutely correct sir.

We need to find the truth, both past and present, in order to prevent this in the future.

As this school just closed, unfortunately, I suspect you may be right.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of course it is just the tip of the iceberg.

These are typical practices for any right wing authoritarian who feels that he/she has freedom to act as they believe they should be able to act.

Look at Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Arizona, and there are many other local examples in the South.  

How do you think that African Americans, Native Americans, Jews and Catholics fared in jurisdictions where KKK leaders were elected to public office from the 20's through the 70's??

Thankfully it is becoming much harder to cover up such things these days, due to instant communication on the Internet and social networking.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, that is literally sickening.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I"d wager there were quite a few left wing administrations over seeing the prisons in FL over the last century as well.

I think all of us, liberal and conservative, want this changed.

Is there not one single issue we can find common ground on?

No wonder there's grid lock in Washington.

Lets play the blame game.

So tell me, are there no bad men up north?  Why the southern slight?

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I"d wager there were quite a few left wing administrations over seeing the prisons in FL over the last century as well.

Please let me know when Florida had a left administration.

The Democrats who ran Florida and much of the rest of the South, were every bit as authoritarian and right wing as the recent bunch of Republicans.  

They just switched over to being Republicans when LBJ enacted the Civil Rights Acts, and Voting Rights Acts.  Nixon saw his chance and flipped all those KKK Democrats to being KKK Republicans and established Republican power for the next 40 years.

Practicing authoritarian public power is not a matter of Republican or Democrat, it is a matter of belief in individual freedoms and rights as opposed to controlling proper behavior for every person under ones power.

The good news at the present time is that there are many fewer authoritarians among the elected Democrats, and it looks like it will stay that way for a while.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a current case on point:

Joe Arpaio, the controversial Arizona Sheriff from Maricopa County, arrested a 6-year-old undocumented immigrant on Friday. The move came the same day President Obama announced a new policy halting deportations for young undocumented immigrants

http://thinkprogress.org/justice....bile=nc

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No where did I call for juvenile offenders not to be incarcerated.

I do expect them to be treated humanly.

No doubt Joe's prison is tough, and I want the prisons to be tough and a place no body wants to be.

Are you saying he allows rapes, torture, beatings, and murdering of prisoners?

Tell me, how well are prisoners treated in Cook county Chicago?

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Way better than in Maricopa County, Arizona.

The ACLU wins suits and gets people out of prison when they are abused in Chicago, that is not happening in Arizona.

You do realize that Miranda and Escobedo were Arizona violations of individual rights that ended up having national repercussions??  And thus making police procidures more humane for the whole country?

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 18
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

In today's Florida Current there was an article about U.S. Senator Bill Nelson, D-Florida, wanting the Justice Department to investigate alleged abuse of students at the Dozier School for Boys.
[CODE]Dozier School and Senator Nelson

This story will continue for some time as the investigation is intensified.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
17 replies since Dec. 11 2012, 6:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dozier school for boys
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions