2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Washington surprises Moscow< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:54 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Russia’s Foreign Minister said the US decision to recognize the Syrian opposition ignores an international pledge to begin a dialogue on Syria’s political future.
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, who has played a central role in Russia’s efforts to bring Syria’s rebel opposition and pro-government officials to the negotiating table, said Moscow is “surprised to learn that Washington has recognized the national coalition of Syrian revolutionary forces as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.”
Lavrov admitted that he was also taken aback by the US decision.
"I was also somewhat surprised to learn that the US, as represented by its President, recognized the national coalition as the only legitimate representative of the Syrian people,” Lavrov said at a press conference following negotiations with Slovak Foreign Minister Miroslav Lajcak on Wednesday.
US President Barack Obama said the newly created Syrian Opposition Council "is now inclusive enough, is reflective and representative enough" to be considered eligible for American support.
"Obviously, with that recognition comes responsibilities," the US leader said in an interview with ABC News.
Moscow would like to see more internal debate from the Syrian people as to what sort of political representation they want.
Washington’s recognition “contradicts the agreements stipulated by the Geneva communiqué, which presume the starting of a common Syrian dialogue," Lavrov noted.
In the course of the protracted Syrian conflict, which represents a grave challenge to the government of President Bashar Assad, Moscow has held talks with both sides in an effort to not only create the conditions for peace, but to avoid any sort of outside military interference, as was the case in Libya.
Lavrov argued that Washington is voicing its support for insurrection by hedging its bet on the National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces.'
"Since the coalition has been recognized as the only legitimate representative, the US has apparently decided to stake solely on the armed victory of this very national coalition," the Russian minister concluded.
Robert Bridge, RT

http://rt.com/politics/russia-us-syria-opposition-lavrov-870/

A Syrian opposition heavily infested with al Qaida, and other terrorist elements!!!

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I personally wonder why we (the US) think we have the right at all to declare who the "rightful" ruler of Syria actually is.  Seem absurdly arrogant.

Honestly, from the tidbits of the story, I kinda have to agree with Russia on this one.  They were trying to bring parties together to sit at a table, and here we are cowboying in (politically speaking) and picking a winner between the two. Makes peace a hard thing to have, as it were.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few thoughts...

- The article is from Russia Today.  They're about as objective as Alex Jones.

- The US is not the leader on this.  At least a few other nations did this last week (if that matters).

- I do not want the US involved in a Syrian civil war unless it threatens to spill outside it's borders and into our interests.  Otherwise my main concern would be a destablizing Syrian military throwing weapons and manpower into Hezzbollah, but that's a different problem.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I was also somewhat surprised to learn that the US..."

He doesn't keep up with international news much does he?

ETA: It's a pressure tactic. Assad hasn't gotten off his stance, arguably due to his Russian and Chinese backing, so the ante get's upped.
 Post Number: 5
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Dec. 13 2012, 8:34 am)
- The article is from Russia Today.  They're about as objective as Alex Jones.

- The US is not the leader on this.  At least a few other nations did this last week (if that matters).

Quite true, on both points.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even Moscow is now effectively declaring this moot:

Syria's most powerful ally, Russia, said for the first time Thursday that President Bashar Assad is losing control of his country and the rebels might win the civil war.
 link

Anyway, regarding recognition, there are legitimate diplomatic and legal reasons to reach such a decision.  Who is accorded the rights and priveleges of the diplomatic relationship?  Who do we hold accountable for adherence to bilateral and multilateral agreements?  For many of the most important things, that has to shift quickly to whoever has de facto control of the territory.
 Post Number: 7
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is also feigned outrage. Both China and Russia have a long history of opposing any action that in any manner meddles with another country's internal affairs given their preference of being able to shoot their own citizens at their convenience.

The reality is that the Syrian civil war is approaching a tipping point and the outside world needs to start choosing which side it wants to win. Added pressure may help end this mess with Assad and company seeking asylum in a third country. Russia, on the other hand, would love to see Assad remain because his regime has been a great customer of their military goods and a source of outside money.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
6 replies since Dec. 13 2012, 9:54 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Washington surprises Moscow
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions