2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sen Daniel Inouye has died< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 6:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.usatoday.com/story....1776021

May he rest in peace.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, too bad. He served this nation well.

Yes indeed. Rest in peace.
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A big thank you for your service.  RIP.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I voted for the man once, and it turned out to be his closest victory.  IMO, this is a man who served with Honor, and he was one of the Gang of 14 who found it more important to serve the country over just serving his Party.  

It will be interesting to see who serves in his place until the special election in 2014.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Truly sad. The country has lost a true voice of reason and compromise.   There seems to be few statesman like him around anymore.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is he the last Senator who served in WWII?  The WWII generation is now gone in Congress?

Yet it was on the battlefields in Europe during World War II where Inouye first earned distinction. At a time when the federal government placed thousands of Japanese Americans into relocation camps, Inouye and his Asian-American peers petitioned the White House for the right to serve in the military. He dropped out of school to join the Army's 442nd Regimental Combat Team, made up of "nisei," or Americans whose parents were born in Japan.

In 1944, Inouye narrowly avoided death in France when a bullet struck him in the chest and hit two silver dollars he carried in his shirt pocket for good luck.

He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his heroism in 1945 during a battle in Italy near San Terenzo. Inouye and his unit were pinned down by fire. Already wounded by a bullet to his midsection, Inouye was lobbing hand grenades at the enemy when his right arm was almost completely severed by an enemy grenade launcher.

With his left arm, Inouye reached over to pry the live grenade out of his debilitated arm. Hours later while receiving treatment at an Army hospital, Inouye's right arm was amputated.

During his recovery in the hospital, Inouye became friends with a fellow American soldier named Bob Dole -- who later became a U.S. senator from Kansas. Inouye and Dole would often work together on issues when Dole was Senate Republican leader. Dole also lost the use of his right arm in World War II.

http://www.usatoday.com/story....1776021

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope.  Frank Lautenberg of NJ served in the Signal Corp in the Army during WW2.  Daniel Akaka of Hi also served in the Army in WW2. 

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/resources/pdf/WW2vets.pdf

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 17 2012, 11:26 pm)
Nope.  Frank Lautenberg of NJ served in the Signal Corp in the Army during WW2. 

And he's talking about running again when his term is up.

Anyway, hats off to Sen. Inouye.  I can't imagine wanting to stick with it to the end.
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Senator Dole salutes his former colleague

http://cqrollcall.photoshelter.com/image/I0000vjRanFWvjIg
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 20 2012, 6:12 pm)
Senator Dole salutes his former colleague

http://cqrollcall.photoshelter.com/image/I0000vjRanFWvjIg

The senate is a lesser place without both of them.
 Post Number: 11
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 1:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 20 2012, 9:23 pm)

I agree.  However you may have felt about either of their politics, guys who put their lives and limbs on the line were people I was honored to have representing me.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 12
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing I will always remember about Inouye is the way he went after that creep POS Oliver North
during the Iran-contra  in the mid to late 1980's. Inouye always had my respect because of that

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 13
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Dec. 24 2012, 1:25 am)

(big_load @ Dec. 20 2012, 9:23 pm)

I agree.  However you may have felt about either of their politics, guys who put their lives and limbs on the line were people I was honored to have representing me.

The greatness of their politics was where America's greatest strength has always been, the actual center, not today's shameful idea of it.

R.I.P Senator, Soldier.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
12 replies since Dec. 17 2012, 6:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sen Daniel Inouye has died
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions