2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Where Did the Original Thread on the Newtown Go?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Three Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 9:59 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would be interested in where it went and why.  I believe it was titled "Worst School Shooting Ever?"

It went 14+ pages IIRC.  There were a lot good points made by all sides.

BP2GO - can you shed any light on this?

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started it.  I think it ran its course, perhaps?  Or got too ugly?  It was not a political statement on my part, I just was watching tv that morning and thought everybody should watch it if they were not aware. Although I knew where it would lead to.  

John

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes. The many gun threads rehashing guns, shooters, solutions and ideas had run more than the needed course, and so much name-calling and "facts", and complaints to me calling for moderation, I removed them. I don't do this without considering the effort put in by both sides to make their case for or against guns, but really, nobody is going to change their mind, and I felt it was time to move on. I'm a bad person.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was suprised it lasted as long as it did.
Like anything else in life, the few often spoil it for the rest.
 Post Number: 5
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who cares? It got deleted. Get over it.
 Post Number: 6
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Typically happens when the wing nuts can't find a rational argument.  Censorship by whining to mod.
 Post Number: 7
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Censorship"? Thanks. This is part of my job: to try to maintain civility. I didn't react to whiners, I was just more aware that others were as tired of this as I was. I only removed one user who couldn't avoid bringing in offensive names for those who didn't share his rabid opinion. Others? I tolerated a bit more anger than usual because this  event brought forth fervent opinions. But as I said, it ran its course.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A thread "running its course" is no reason to delete it.
 Post Number: 9
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Dec. 21 2012, 10:53 am)

The NRA couldn't risk the logic and truth you presented being made public, so they forced Steve to remove the thread. Crisis adverted.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 10
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Dec. 21 2012, 10:53 am)

When a thread turns vile and disrespectful then I'm with Steve.

We should be able to disagree without disrespecting each other and calling someone ignorant or idiot serves no purpose but to create more discontent.  

What's really wrong with this country is most people don't love their brother as they love themselves.

We're all better men than to succumb to  such behavior.

I'll be the first to start.....I'm sorry if I've hurt anyone's feelings and will try to do better going forward.

We can, and will still disagree strongly and have spirited debates I'm sure.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Dec. 21 2012, 12:02 pm)

It was neither.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Dec. 21 2012, 12:22 pm)

It was neither.

Doesn't matter what you or me think....Steve's the moderator...

I happen to think he was right......apparently you seem to think he was wrong.

Ever read the terms of service agreement?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You only think he was right because your out of context references to Hamilton and others were shown to be another of your dishonest attempts to promote your talk radio cliches. Try engaging in honesty for a change.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Dec. 21 2012, 12:40 pm)
You only think he was right because your out of context references to Hamilton and others were shown to be another of your dishonest attempts to promote your talk radio cliches. Try engaging in honesty for a change.

If you took the comment about Hamilton as out of context that's your prerogative.  

I'm not sure you know what honesty is.....or even care for that matter.

If you were honest, you'd admit that the firearm didn't kill those kids.  Adam did.

If you were honest, you'd admit that if he didn't have a gun, he'd have planned another way to do it, possibly more destructive.

If I honestly thought it would make a difference I'd stand beside you and cry for a ban but I know, the only difference it would make would be to strip law abiding people of the ability to defend themselves using the tool they might choose and chip away at individual liberty.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Dec. 21 2012, 10:36 am)
If you were honest, you'd admit that if he didn't have a gun, he'd have planned another way to do it, possibly more destructive.

That to me is not merely dishonest, but positively evasive.

One very great reason why guns are popular is their effectiveness!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 21 2012, 1:40 pm)

Ben,

Hitler
Stalin
Mao
Pol-Pot
Timothy McVeigh

Only in rare cases have Ar-15's been used in these type murders.

Clearly, this kid had easy access via his mother.  Why, she carried to her grave as well.

He could have just as easily thrown a can of gas and lit a match or picked an endless number of other ways to work his evil.

Not dishonest at all.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Dec. 21 2012, 9:22 am)

It was neither.

The thread was peppered with profanity and personal attacks which violated the terms and did nothing to contribute to the discussion.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Dec. 21 2012, 1:49 pm)

(HighGravity @ Dec. 21 2012, 9:22 am)

It was neither.

The thread was peppered with profanity and personal attacks which violated the terms and did nothing to contribute to the discussion.

Yes sir, there's been to much of this of late.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Dec. 21 2012, 1:49 pm)

Ben,

Hitler
Stalin
Mao
Pol-Pot
Timothy McVeigh

Clearly, this kid had easy access via his mother.  Why, she carried to her grave as well.

He could have just as easily thrown a can of gas and lit a match or picked an endless number of other ways to work his evil.

Not dishonest at all.

The fundamental flaw in your argument Gunslinger is that you don't get to claim that hey are necessary because of certain qualities relating to killing things on the positive side of the equation of assault weapon ownership, then pretend that those qualities don't make things easier for a deranged killer to execute on the other.

It's a key issue that does indeed make you dishonest - to yourself as much as anyone else as you genuinely seem to believe the stuff that you say - well, the parts that aren't just intended to goad liberals I mean.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Dec. 21 2012, 1:36 pm)

(HighGravity @ Dec. 21 2012, 12:40 pm)

If you took the comment about Hamilton as out of context that's your prerogative.  

I'm not sure you know what honesty is.....or even care for that matter.

If you were honest, you'd admit that the firearm didn't kill those kids.  Adam did.

If I honestly thought it would make a difference I'd stand beside you and cry for a ban but I know, the only difference it would make would be to strip law abiding people of the ability to defend themselves using the tool they might choose and chip away at individual liberty.

If you ever wonder why you're generally disliked by so many people, read this post. Although I'm not sure you'll ever get it.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, my....you're so mean to me...
Ohhhh let me squeel like a little girl..
Ohhhhh my ego is hurt your such a bully.....
I'm crying in my Jack Daniels.....weeeping...weeeeeping....oh....I'm so crushed by your hatred....

I still love you brother......even if I find your politics disgusting.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like I was right...again.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Dec. 21 2012, 2:28 pm)

(gunslinger @ Dec. 21 2012, 1:49 pm)

Ben,

Hitler
Stalin
Mao
Pol-Pot
Timothy McVeigh

Not dishonest at all.

The fundamental flaw in your argument Gunslinger is that you don't get to claim that hey are necessary because of certain qualities relating to killing things on the positive side of the equation of assault weapon ownership, then pretend that those qualities don't make things easier for a deranged killer to execute on the other.

It's a key issue that does indeed make you dishonest - to yourself as much as anyone else as you genuinely seem to believe the stuff that you say - well, the parts that aren't just intended to goad liberals I mean.

You don't get it LR...they don't have to be necessary....and are just a hunk of metal.....incapable of thought, or emotions...cold blue steel, nothing more, nothing less.

You think I don't hate what happened to these kids?  You don't think I see my grandchildrens faces every time a picture of one of these kids comes on the news?  

Your wrong.  

The list I posted found guns not near efficient enough.  Guns couldn't kill fast enough for them.

These people exist.  These people will do the devils work no matter what tool it takes.

I think Wayne Lapierre Idea is a very good one.  Why don't we try it?

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Slinger would you agree with Heston's statement about removing your guns only from your cold dead hands?

Do you feel the same way if it was a choice between your grandchildren and your guns?
 Post Number: 25
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

AFA "where did the thread go" is concerned, my motto is "always SAVE your work" - of course, this only applies if you care that much about it...

...strip law abiding people of the ability to defend themselves using the tool they might choose...
I wonder how this song is going to change (probably sooner than we all think) when "guns" are mostly obsolete and much more advanced "tools" are available - and government generally refuses to let the populace have them? (Sound weapons? Lunar Laser Blasters? Adjustable Atomic Stun and Disable Beam Focusing Ray with Extension Pack for Vehicular Transport? Thought Magnification Amplifiers?)

Of course, if these weapons are anything like the ones on "Star Trek" fictions, the big question will be "to stun or kill"...which would our best friends choose? Why?
24 replies since Dec. 21 2012, 9:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Where Did the Original Thread on the Newtown Go?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions