2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Boehner finished as speaker?, Does he deserve it...or want it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 6:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm thinking the GOP is too fractured for even a strong, skilled personality to lead, much less lead both parties (what the S is theoretically supposed to do).

http://news.yahoo.com/john-bo....38.html

".......It looks like Boehner is history: Boehner figured passing Plan B would force Obama to accept "a deal more to the GOP's liking," says Rick Moran at The American Thinker. "Instead, his own caucus rejected him, castrated him, and tossed him to the wolves." This debacle made Boehner look "like a jellyfish," not a leader. If he can't get his team to support him now in a fight as important as this, "it's hard to see Boehner as speaker in the next Congress."
"Boehner's Plan B failure may cost him his speakership"

SEE MORE: Republicans must get real on foreign policy

All Boehner has to do is stand firm: Boehner's fate is in his own hands, says Noam Scheiber at The New Republic. If his priority is keeping everybody's Bush-era breaks from expiring at year's end, he could muster "a rump group of Republicans and a majority of House Democrats." If he wants to remain speaker — and "Boehner comes across as a man who wants to keep his job" — all he has to do is refuse to back any deal raising tax rates, at least until Jan. 3.
"Plan B Dies, prepare to go over the cliff"

Boehner might not want the job: This fiasco "might be a moment of personal reckoning for Boehner," says Steve Kornacki at Salon. GOP hardliners have never trusted him, leaving him "a SINO — speaker-in-name-only" his whole two-year term. "He can't cut big deals with Obama," muscle his team into line, or "even pass his own stick-it-to-Obama tax plan." His job may be safe if he wants it, but it's "hard to see why he wants to keep putting himself through this.".........

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weirdly I feel sorry for him - but he's part of the team that has brought this situation about.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But he's done. What they will do, clearly, is let the bush tax cuts expire then reinstate Them for most so they don't have to vote for a tax increase. Once they have done that they will need someone to blame for their extremism so Boehner will bite the bullet and be shown the door.

They won't want to hang this farcical situation the GOP put itself in hanging around the neck of the new speaker.
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The good news is you can't fool all the people all the time.

This kind of strategy will fool no one except the true believers.

The Republican Party is swirling down the drain.  Be interesting to see what the new party will look like, probably a split, so the Democrats will be in power for a generation or two.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think he's done too.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This will just be one more nail in his coffin, making sure that the right wing nuts kick him out of leadership:

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, wouldn’t shut the door on bringing up recommendations from Vice President Biden’s commission on gun violence in the House next year.

“We join the president in mourning the victims of the horrible tragedy in Connecticut,” Boehner said in response to a question from NBC News during press conference at the Capitol. “He's appointed Vice President Biden to lead a commission, and when the Vice President's recommendations come forward, we'll certainly take them into consideration.”

But the top House Republican wouldn’t commit, either, to allowing votes on specific gun control measures – like renewing the assault weapons ban or limiting ammunition magazines’ capacity – that Democrats have called for in the wake of last week’s elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn.

President Barack Obama tasked Biden on Wednesday with leading the task force on gun violence, which the president said he wanted to produce specific recommendations by next month. The panel was prompted by the tragic Newtown shooting, which claimed the lives of 20 children and 6 teachers at an elementary school.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news....ls?lite

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wall Street Journal has a behind the scenes on the recent negotiation:
"The juiciest passage in the Wall Street Journal’s behind-the-scenes report on the fiscal cliff negotiations comes when House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) asks President Obama whether he can have the deal he rejected in 2011. “You missed your opportunity on that,” the president replies.

Ouch.

But the most important insight into the White House’s strategic thinking comes when Boehner says to the president, ”I put $800 billion [in tax revenue] on the table. What do I get for that?” Obama’s response is cold and telling. ”You get nothing,” the president said. “I get that for free.

That, right there, is the central fact of negotiations for the Democrats and the central problem for the Republicans. At the end of this year, more than $5 trillion in scheduled tax increases begin. But the White House doesn’t believe that’s real revenue. Democrats in Congress won’t permit that kind of a tax increase on ordinary Americans. The White House won’t permit that kind of a tax increase on ordinary Americans."

From the Washington Post.

And from my view that "cold and telling" response has been more than earned. The dedication to gutting Obama into a one term president even at the cost of the country and then the obvious reliance on that strategy succeeding counted on way back in 2010 when they constructed the fiscal cliff. Republicans "knowing" they'd be facing a lame duck, rejected and defeated President Obama. Welcome to hardball Speaker Boehner.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hoisted on their own petard.

The schradenfreude of unintended consequences.

What they wished on others has come home to roost on themselves.

Couldn't happen to nicer guys!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does he deserve it?  I think a big part of it is self inflicted.

Does he want it?  I don't think he purposely engineered his own defeat in this.  My own guess?  He thought his 'Plan B' could force the Democrats to be 'the party of No' -- and convince the American People that the burden of failure belongs to Obama and the Democratic party.  Except the whole scheme fell flat.

But I don't share the view that Boehner's loss is automatically Obama's gain.

Obama needs a point person from the GOP side to negotiate with.  And whatever will be agreed upon, that point person needs to be strong enough to rein in enough GOP reps and deliver votes.  With Boehner's self destruction and the Fiscal Cliff just a week away -- who is Obama supposed to negotiate with now?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He does not have to negotiate now.  

Just let the bunny slope happen, then with the Senate put forward a bill that saves the country, and he only needs enough votes from the Pubbies to pass it in the House with unanimous Democrat support.

If they refuse, they become a non entity forever, and if they concede, Obama is in full control for the next 4 years.

They played hard ball, and got beaten right into the ground.  Good.

What is it, maybe 40 votes, not more than 50, and the Tea Hatters can go suck eggs.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 11
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boener might be somewhat incompetent but his failure has FAR more to do with
the fact that he has to deal with the irrational and Obstinate tea party Republicans

If they elect someone else odds are it will not be any better and might in fact be even worse.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Which will make Obama's advantage even greater.  Good.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You want to see a sad picture of the conservative establishment, read this long article describing a post election review by the neo cons:

http://nymag.com/news/features/republican-caribbean-cruise-2012-12/

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 14
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 1:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great article, WWWest.

Like the Democrats 2yrs. ago, Republicans are still stuck in the first
Kubler-Ross Stage of Grief: Denial

Next comes Guilt, and then BARGAINING...which hopefuly will come along in January with the new Congress...

Boehner's out, due to gross incompetence. The first rule of being a Congressional Leader is to NEVER INTRODUCE A BILL THAT WON'T EVEN PASS YOUR OWN CAUCUS.

Boehner failed his first essential test of being a leader. He's gone, never to be back again...Just like John McCain, when he marched theatrically into the Capitol Building to persuade Republicans to vote for the bailout plan four years ago. He failed embarassingly.

Like Boehner, he should have counted the votes ahead of time.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is a good read, even for conservatives. I went to a conference a few weeks ago, full of conservative businessmen, all telling jokes about Obama. One Board member of a top 20 company, top 10 for that matter I think reads a little quote about the number of Americans living on welfare.... Audience giggles.

It's pretty well the theme of these events, a group of people living Ina bubble almost totally isolated from the rest of America. While, male, conservative and full of themselves.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess that the best thing which can be said about these out of touch people is that nearly all of them are so old that they will very soon be dead or helplessly senile.

Interesting to see how many of them have children who have either disconnected from the economy, or have become liberals in their political beliefs.  I guess that living with selfish, rich people might have that effect in many cases.

He recommended investing in real estate in another country, maybe in Central America somewhere. A woman to Kay’s right wrinkled her nose: How about a Western country? “Okay, if Europe is what you want, go to Poland,” he said optimistically. “Go to Krakow, buy a house for $50,000, and it’s going to be like Paris in a few years.”

As we drained the Pinot Noir, Hassett gave his audience the insider’s view of the Romney campaign, describing how its election-monitoring software crashed on November 6 and Obama was probably behind it, “because those guys are so evil.”

The table grumbled in assent.

“The thing we have to understand is, these are people who don’t have any morals,” said Hassett. “They’ll do anything. I’m one of their No. 1 targets. I mean, they really want me bad.”

“Well, you’re safe on this ship!” said Bobbie boldly.

Then Hassett pivoted to the liberal media. “I actually think that Goebbels was more critical of Hitler than the New York Times is of Obama,” said Hassett, tucking into a piece of strudel. “I was in the middle of the fight against the propaganda, and I have stories like you wouldn’t believe. These people are so evil. They’re basically Fascists. It’s unbelievable.”

The audience seemed to listen raptly to this soliloquy—who aboard would argue?—but underneath there were currents of dissension. At breakfast the next day, I ran into Kay from Old Greenwich. Tall and stern, legal thriller clutched to her breast, she narrowed her eyes and complained that Kevin Hassett was too controlling of the conversation the night before and lacked social graces.

http://nymag.com/news....x1.html

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Dec. 26 2012, 9:22 am)
It is a good read, even for conservatives. I went to a conference a few weeks ago, full of conservative businessmen, all telling jokes about Obama. One Board member of a top 20 company, top 10 for that matter I think reads a little quote about the number of Americans living on welfare.... Audience giggles.

It's pretty well the theme of these events, a group of people living Ina bubble almost totally isolated from the rest of America. While, male, conservative and full of themselves.

Let me guess....

You're Black, female, liberal, and full of crap?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let me guess....

We say of others what we know of ourselves, Gunslinger. heh

I'm shocked, shocked to find bigotry on the loose here.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My bad....I read while as white and thought you introduced race into the discussion.

I just bought new glasses and still can't read.....

Sorry to sound so bigoted....my humblest apologies....

So, take the word black out of it and then answer the question...

--------------
 Post Number: 20
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Dec. 26 2012, 4:11 pm)

Let me guess....

I guess to a guy like you, those things always go together huh?
 Post Number: 21
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are starting to devour their own.  Would they like some tea with that?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let me guess....

Why did the GOP lose in November gunslinger?
 Post Number: 23
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Dec. 26 2012, 9:32 pm)

Let me guess....

Why did the GOP lose in November gunslinger?

Cause of the leebral media.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL  Even Faux News turned liberal on election night!!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 25
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, Eric Cantor might be playing the  "Good Cop" in a "Good Cop/Bad Cop" with his boss Boehner.

Or, maybe he just wants his boss's job.  

If he gets it, more proof the GOP thinks they need to move further to the right.  

http://news.yahoo.com/gop-lea....cs.html

......WASHINGTON (AP) — The No. 2 Republican in the House leadership says he opposes a Senate-passed measure to avert the so-called fiscal cliff.

Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor told reporters after a two-hour closed-door meeting Tuesday with his GOP lawmakers that he did not support the bill.

He said House leaders were looking for "the best path forward" and that no decisions had been made....."

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An up or down vote on a clean bill? Looks like there's a Speaker that's grown a pair.

Per CNN

"8:02 p.m. ET - The House will vote Tuesday night on a Senate bill - an up or down vote without amendments - to avert the fiscal cliff, a senior House GOP leadership aide told CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash"
 Post Number: 27
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 01 2013, 9:00 pm)
An up or down vote on a clean bill? Looks like there's a Speaker that's grown a pair.

It could be that Cantor just couldn't get the votes.  Perhaps enough of the House contingent felt the Senate deal gave them the cover they needed.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Except Boehner has previously went with "a majority of the majority"  approach where he demanded his own party be able to pass a bill before he'd let it go to the floor for a vote and it reads as if he doesn't have a majority of the House solely with Republicans this time.

But I guess the vote tally will show what's going on soon enough.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Passed the House.

"The House late Tuesday gave final approval to a Senate-backed bill that will let taxes rise for the richest Americans, shield the middle class from tax hikes and extend emergency unemployment benefits, ending Washington’s long drama over the “fiscal cliff.”

The dramatic vote followed a wild day in which the critical measure was assumed for several hours to be headed for defeat because of widespread Republican objections. The vote was 257 to 167, with 85 Republicans joining with nearly all of the chambers Democrats."

Only 85 Republicans means the majority of the majority "rule" was broken.
 Post Number: 30
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm glad reason prevailed (for now).  I hope we can go more than a few weeks without another hostage situation.
52 replies since Dec. 21 2012, 6:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Boehner finished as speaker?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions