2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: $633 billion defense authorization bill, Passed and sent to the President< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://thehill.com/blogs....se-bill

Wow that's a lot of money.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What was the spending this year?  I think $633B might actually be a decrease -- although only slightly.

We cannot begin to solve our deficit problem without significantly reining in both defense and social spending.  Seems like half the nation supports defense spending.  And half supports continued levels of social spending (if not even more).

And nobody wants to be told "no".

I wonder if this too is a Greek Tragedy -- where inaction continues because we the citizenry (and the two parties we support) keep checking each other... and nothing will be done until "the people outside" stop lending us money?  Not good, whichever way we are looking at it.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, last years was $662.

The difference is equal to the entire budget for the National Insitutes of Health for 2010.... To put some scale on defense's magnitude.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A 4% decrease -- and that with Iraq and Afghanistan winding down -- is not a serious cut back at all.  We are burning ourselves up... a totally self-inflicted fiscal /economic ride down?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It actually pretty significant when you look at what has happened before. It also includes a chunk for Afghanistan, which is still costing despite the wind down.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes Afghanistan and somewhat Iraq are still very costly, even into the 2013 FY. Approaching $100 billion dollars for the year to come.

http://csis.org/files....GAR.pdf
 Post Number: 7
davela Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 2:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

how much is the military's black budget which is off the books because its for secret crap?I heard its aroun 400billion?The military budget was 250b in 2000 right?Unreal.

--------------

Protect Greater Canyonlands!

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 2:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(davela @ Dec. 23 2012, 11:20 pm)
how much is the military's black budget which is off the books because its for secret crap?I heard its aroun 400billion?The military budget was 250b in 2000 right?Unreal.

Remember the 'peace dividend' when the USSR collapsed?   ???

--------------
 Post Number: 9
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah it's a lot of money, but that $633B keeps gas prices low.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
8 replies since Dec. 23 2012, 9:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply $633 billion defense authorization bill
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions