2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities, By 2015< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 11:21 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.bloomberg.com/news....15.html

All you American heroes out buying up more more more guns could see us reach that point even sooner.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While motor-vehicle deaths dropped 22 percent from 2005 to 2010, gun fatalities are rising again after a low point in 2000, according to the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Shooting deaths in 2015 will probably rise to almost 33,000, and those related to autos will decline to about 32,000, based on the 10-year average trend.
 Post Number: 3
BackpackHNTR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Complete BS. It's entirely speculation at this point. The gun deaths are within the average for the time span, and then they show a continued decline at the same rate we have enjoyed for auto deaths. It's a good bet that more auto's and more speeds will increase the death rates.

This is all speculation out to  2015.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given your propensity to misquote great Americans on a seemingly daily basis are you really in a position to call BS on anything?
 Post Number: 5
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BackpackHNTR @ Dec. 30 2012, 11:31 am)
Complete BS. It's entirely speculation at this point. The gun deaths are within the average for the time span, and then they show a continued decline at the same rate we have enjoyed for auto deaths. It's a good bet that more auto's and more speeds will increase the death rates.

It's speculation based on the current trends. The only reason it won't occur is if current trends change.

Why are you so emotional about all this? No one is attempting to deny your desire to mount Bambi's father on your wall. Or is your arsenal necessary because you have something else planned?
 Post Number: 6
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was this factored in???

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-12....-deaths

Seriously, at the end of the day I could care less how the two numbers match up

I would like to see less people die from both

I would just like to see the same common sense applied to both

As in not taking cars away from people because of something they might someday do with it

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No you wouldn't babb. You would like to see more guns which will lead to more deaths because you are not capable of seeing the consequences of the things you want applied beyond your own existence.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Dec. 30 2012, 6:03 pm)
Was this factored in???

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-12....-deaths

Seriously, at the end of the day I could care less how the two numbers match up

I would like to see less people die from both

I would just like to see the same common sense applied to both

Common sense is applied to one. Let's apply the same restrictions to the other. Why is that a problem for your type?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The NRA Myth of Arming the Good Guys

Along with three other similar though less lethal rampages—at a Portland shopping mall, a Milwaukee spa, and a Cleveland high school—2012 has been the worst year for these events in modern US history, with 151 victims injured and killed. More than a quarter of them were young children and teenagers...

...As many commentators noted, it was particularly callous of the NRA to double down on its long-standing proposal to fight gun violence with more guns while parents in Newtown were burying their first graders. But more importantly, the NRA's argument is bereft of supporting evidence. A closer look reveals that their case for arming Americans against mass shooters is nothing more than a cynical ideological talking point—one dressed up in appeals to heroism and the defense of constitutional freedom, and wholly reliant on misdirection and half truths. If only Sandy Hook's principal had been packing heat, the argument goes, she could've stopped the mass killer. There's just one little problem with this: Not a single one of the 62 mass shootings we studied in our investigation has been stopped this way—even as the nation has been flooded with millions of additional firearms and a barrage of recent laws has made it easier than ever for ordinary citizens to carry them in public places, including bars, parks, and schools.

Gun rights die-hards claim the Portland mall shooter saw an armed good guy—who ran for cover instead of firing—and promptly shot himself dead. Obviously.
Attempts by armed citizens to stop shooters are rare. At least two such attempts in recent years ended badly, with the would-be good guys gravely wounded or killed. Meanwhile, the five cases most commonly cited as instances of regular folks stopping massacres fall apart under scrutiny: Either they didn't involve ordinary citizens taking action—those who intervened were actually cops, trained security officers, or military personnel—or the citizens took action after the shooting rampages appeared to have already ended. (Or in some cases, both.)..

..or their part, law enforcement officials overwhelmingly hate the idea of armed civilians getting involved. As a senior FBI agent told me, it would make their jobs more difficult if they had to figure out which of the shooters at an active crime scene was the bad guy. And while they train rigorously for responding in confined and chaotic situations, the danger to innocent bystanders from ordinary civilians whipping out firearms is obvious. Exhibit A: the gun-wielding citizen who admitted to coming within a split second of shooting an innocent person as the Tucson massacre unfolded, after initially mistaking that person for the killer, Jared Loughner.
 Post Number: 10
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 4:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BackpackHNTR @ Dec. 30 2012, 7:31 am)

Well, of course ... It's not yet 2015 .. How is ANY forecast not "all speculation"?

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great to see the debate getting onto the national media scene, with a dedicated and articulate spokesman in the person of Piers Morgan.  

I never much liked him, the little I saw, but I greatly appreciate his advocacy on the issue of getting sensible gun controls in place in America:

The bare statistics say it all. There are 311&#8201;million people in the United States and an estimated 300&#8201;million guns in circulation. (Between four million and seven million new firearms are manufactured in the US every year.)

Take out children from the population figure, and that’s comfortably more than one gun per person.

Each year, on average, 100,000 Americans are shot with a gun. Of these, over 31,000 are fatalities, 11,000 of them murders and 18,000 suicides. More than a million people have been killed with guns in America since 1968 when Dr Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy were assassinated.

The US firearm murder rate is 19.5 times higher than the 22 next most populous, high-income countries in the world. And a staggering 80 per cent of firearm deaths in the combined 23 countries occur in America.

My campaign against America’s gun laws didn’t begin two weeks ago when Adam Lanza committed his carnage. It began a week before I went on air for CNN, in January 2011. A US Congresswoman called Gabby Giffords was shot in the head by another deranged young man at an outdoor event in Tucson, Arizona, and miraculously survived. Six others, including a nine-year-old girl, were murdered.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news....lf.html

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Reduce gun violence by having more guns?  Such brilliant logic, just in time for New Year's resolutions.

I'm going to start following this genius way of thinking in 2013. I'm going to:

- Lose weight by eating more Cheetos
- Prevent cancer by smoking more cigarettes
- Get a healthier liver by drinking more
- Focus on my family by working more

And finally I'm going to get out of debt by giving all my money to a rich person!  

Oh boy.  2013 is going to be a great year!
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Dec. 31 2012, 2:06 pm)
Reduce gun violence by having more guns?  Such brilliant logic, just in time for New Year's resolutions.

I'm going to start following this genius way of thinking in 2013. I'm going to:

- Lose weight by eating more Cheetos
- Prevent cancer by smoking more cigarettes
- Get a healthier liver by drinking more
- Focus on my family by working more

And finally I'm going to get out of debt by giving all my money to a rich person!  

Oh boy.  2013 is going to be a great year!

I think you've caught conservative.
 Post Number: 14
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you've caught conservative.

No, actually, he's got the essence of Tea Party.  

In truly conservative there is much good, they would be some of the first take steps making guns more safe.

Tea Party/NRA, not so much.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
13 replies since Dec. 30 2012, 11:21 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions