2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Al Jazeera to Expand in the US< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 3:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When watching news, I still find myself watching BBC the most -- and then one of the three traditional networks.  Then there is also Al Jazeera -- which I find quite professional -- and also much less "gossipy" -- unlike CNN -- which is routinely splashed with "news" of Lohan or Hilton misbehavior.  As well, Al Jazeera provides a much broader spectrum of international news.

I highly recommend that folks here supplement their regular news sources with  Al Jazeera -- for quality international news that aren't "American centric".  Al Jazeera is also on various PBS and cable stations.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be fine with Al Jazeera cable news in the U.S.

But just wait. They'll be doing the Lindsey Lohan/Mylie Cyrus thing soon. Mainly, because all news all the time would be pretty redundant and not very popular.

Is Al Gore going to keep his show?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do they have the latest on Kimye?  Or Jessica's baby bump?

Celebrity side boob?
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard 97 Virgins was going to be their reality show, about covering the weather on South Beach, in burkas.  Most of the real action will be in the pedestrians in the background.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stereotype much, gentlemen?  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just making fun of the stereotypes, myself.  I do not know enough about the network to make a judgement.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't see any gentlemen in here
 Post Number: 8
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 4:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a fan...
 Post Number: 9
davela Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer aj to bbc.BBC has quite a bit of unimportant coverage.AJ  devotes more coverage to the middle east which is why any yankee who wants to understand our place in MEf should be watching it for real coverage vs fox,cnn,cbs garbage.

I saw the rednecks are having a fit over this on yahoo news forums.Complete utter morons in the conservative fold.
Conspiracies abound.
Al-quaeda,Al-Jazeera,Al-gore...makes sense right with these wing-nuts.

Education and science are the anti-dote to stupidity/ignorance that is why the right and religion shun it to a large degree.

--------------

Protect Greater Canyonlands!

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anything has got to be better than some of those BBC accents: granted it is useful that Owen Bennett Jones can get me launched out of bed at the kill switch with half a squinty tonged   phrase...  I never sleep in when he's doing the news reading (shudder).
 Post Number: 11
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Favourite AlJazeera programmes :
Witness, The Stream and now Earthrise
Great report last night from the sub Sahara region about building a Green Wall to contain the expanding desert.
Next was  a report on alternative protein sources including grasshoppers and meal worms
 Post Number: 12
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

a report on alternative protein sources including grasshoppers and meal worms

Maybe they could get some contestants on Chopped, and we can begin to realize how delicious those meal worms can be!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Al Gore pockets a cool $100 million dollars for doing basically, nothing.  Nice work if you can get it.

That $100 million comes dimes at a time from tens of millions of cable subscribers.  He sounds like an evil Republican capitalist bastard.  Why no mention of this in the mainstream media?

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 14
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Jan. 08 2013, 8:13 pm)
Why no mention of this in the mainstream media?

The New York Times, CNN and Fox News aren't mainstream?
 Post Number: 15
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 08 2013, 8:51 pm)

(justwalkin @ Jan. 08 2013, 8:13 pm)
Why no mention of this in the mainstream media?

The New York Times, CNN and Fox News aren't mainstream?

I should have been more specific.  No mention of the evil, capitalist bastard part.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 16
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps you should stick to reading Worldnet Daily then.
 Post Number: 17
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm amused by the online banter about Gore selling the network to a terrorist organization. The very people that are worried about our government filtering our news are too bigoted to watch something that originated in an Arab country. There are a lot of dumb asses making the phrase "informed conservatives" an oxymoron. Justwalkin should just stick to walkin', cause talkin' exposes his lack of thinkin'.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
16 replies since Jan. 03 2013, 3:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Al Jazeera to Expand in the US
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions