2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Well it didn't take long for the idiocy to start< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 5:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@JenGranholm: New Congress. Old ridiculousness MT @MicheleBachmann I introduced the first bill of the 113th Congress to repeal Obamacare in its entirety
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I liked this tweet, from the Public Policy Polling official Twitter account: ""Ok y'all we're testing Congress' popularity against 23 other things this weekend. They include root canals, Ebola, meth labs, and Nickelback".

Or as Ezra Klein points out, there's less support for Congress (10%) than for turning the US communist (11%).

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 5:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought that the first bill introduced was Elenor Holmes Norton's usual bill to give DC Voting Rights.  

Everyone wants change, but we keep re-electing the same people to propose the same ideas.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The idiocy has been going on for.... well.... ever since the Gang of 2 took over. Why are you only noticing it now?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 04 2013, 5:42 am)
I thought that the first bill introduced was Elenor Holmes Norton's usual bill to give DC Voting Rights.  

Everyone wants change, but we keep re-electing the same people to propose the same ideas.

You need to change the system. Changing the people and squeezing them into the same system with the same motivating factors and constraints is going to yield the same results.

They all get onto the money train as soon at they begin, especially in the house - now you have the hard-liners needing to appeal to extremists to make sure they don't get primaried.

That situation is still going to exist if we change the people out.
 Post Number: 6
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Leadership failure are the two words that sum it all up.  

Who failed?  Executive, Senate, House, Judiciary and the Electorate.

Failed when?  Then and Now and for the forseeable.

How serious?  The most trusted element of the Government is now the military.

Wow.

Nope, sure doesn't look salvageable from here.

End of Empire.  Fugly game at best.  Probably shouldn't have built the damn thing in the first place.

HYOH.

Drake
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 04 2013, 9:38 am)

You need to change the system. Changing the people and squeezing them into the same system with the same motivating factors and constraints is going to yield the same results.

They all get onto the money train as soon at they begin, especially in the house - now you have the hard-liners needing to appeal to extremists to make sure they don't get primaried.

I couldn't agree more.  For me, I see term limits as a good start.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 8
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 04 2013, 9:57 am)

(Land Rover @ Jan. 04 2013, 9:38 am)

I couldn't agree more.  For me, I see term limits as a good start.

I'm surprised congressional term limits hasn't gained more interest, if not traction.

Most citizens are like me...a little lazy, which is why I've really not done much research.  But, I'm finally starting to do so.  

Probably the greaest threat to our nation  is our growing disgust with Washington.

Here's a link to a site that is obviously biased toward limits:

http://www.tenurecorrupts.com/arguments.html

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the main problems is the lines drawn for congressional districts.  They have been gerrymandered so much by both parties, that in so many districts there is no chance of any candidate other than that of the sitting party ever getting elected.  Thus, the same type of politician gets elected time and time again.  Even if we had term limits, I doubt that would change.  You might have a different person in, but they would have the same political policy.  And I seiously doubt that Congress is ever going to change the redistricting policy at their own expense.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 04 2013, 10:41 am)
One of the main problems is the lines drawn for congressional districts.  They have been gerrymandered so much by both parties, that in so many districts there is no chance of any candidate other than that of the sitting party ever getting elected.  Thus, the same type of politician gets elected time and time again.  Even if we had term limits, I doubt that would change.  You might have a different person in, but they would have the same political policy.  And I seiously doubt that Congress is ever going to change the redistricting policy at their own expense.

Also a very true statement.  Everyone agrees that everyone else's Congresscritter is the problem.  The virtually locked in districts mean that little will change.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 11
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Term limits won't do a damn thing to fix the problem, and IMO could make matters worse. The problem is that getting elected requires raising large sums of money, and for House members running every 2 years this means they spend more time raising funds and campaigning than learning the nuts & bolts of good government. They are more beholden to the monied interests that finance their campaigns than the citizens they ostensibly represent.

I want my representatives in Congress to be public servants who have have a thorough understanding of governmental functions and how to do the most good for the least cost. Term limits would discourage individuals who have the aptitude for and want to make a career out of public service. Not many people who aren't wealthy will put their heart & soul into a career that is mandated to expire just when they're getting good at their job.

With term limits we'd have a constant influx of rookies less knowledgable & skilled at serving the people. More likely we'd get politicians serving their own interests and looking for lucrative offers from the special interests they served during their brief tenure in Congress.

We need to disconnect our representatives from deep pocket special interests, eliminate gerrymandered districts, establish a more universal & secure system for voting, and perhaps introduce instant runoff which would allow people to vote for the 3rd party they like without helping the major party they dislike.

Term limits accomplishes none of that. It's of the mindset that we need to get rid of the current crop of politicians, but the new crop would be no better (and maybe even worse) if we don't reform the system itself.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 12
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1, and then some more.

Drake
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 04 2013, 5:42 am)
The idiocy has been going on for.... well.... ever since the Gang of 2 took over. Why are you only noticing it now?

It's a new term so noting the rapidity seemed appropriate.

Plus, well, Bachmann's an idiot.

ETA: Term limits? We HAVE term limits, they're called elections.

For the House they occur every 2 years for all of them.

The Gerrymandered districts are the issue: look at how the Senate, where they have to answer to a more general electorate, isn't quite the bunch of wackjobs the House is. Not that the Senate's rules don't create other issues...
There are states, such as California with it's commission, that are doing something about that as it's a state responsibility to redistrict in response to each national census not the federal Congress.
 Post Number: 14
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drake @ Jan. 04 2013, 6:43 am)
Leadership failure are the two words that sum it all up.  

Who failed?  Executive, Senate, House, Judiciary and the Electorate.

Failed when?  Then and Now and for the forseeable.

How serious?  The most trusted element of the Government is now the military.

Wow.

Nope, sure doesn't look salvageable from here.

End of Empire.  Fugly game at best.  Probably shouldn't have built the damn thing in the first place.

HYOH.

Drake

Why failed?  Apathetic citizenry.  And also unthinking citizenry.

You know, the old, tiresome and woefully unproductive fight about "my party is better than your party and don't anyone tell me that both party suck because mine suck less and it's why even though I say I don't like partisan fights, I want to make sure my party wins this partisan fight...........".

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 15
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to politics in a democratic republic.

Messy, but it sure has worked good, in spite of all the doom and gloomers, starting  with Adams in 1796.  Worked better than anything else in human history, and continues to do so.  Happy New Year!

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.  

That is what a lot of Americans choose to do.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
14 replies since Jan. 03 2013, 5:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Well it didn't take long for the idiocy to start
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions