2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: hammers more dangerous than rifles, FBI report says< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 1:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You liberals are going to hate this.......

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013....hotguns

This report proving the proposed ban is a knee jerk reaction based on emotion.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see common sense and logic is a problem once again for Gunslinger. First the article says
specifically "rifles" and not firearms in general. Second people are going to obviously
have far more access to Hammers than Rifles.  If the stat was broke down in terms of
% so that you would look at the ratio of # of rifles to # of deaths versus the ratio of
# of Hammers versus # of deaths we would obviously see a total different view.

Now slinger. Did you not see the thread I made and the assoicated graph on violent deaths?

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1162211

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 3
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's frightening to think how many more innocent people Adam Lanza would have killed if his weapon of choice had been hammers instead of firearms!

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Apparently gunslinger has never heard one of the old jokes about bringing a knife to a gunfight!??

gunslinger, how would you feel about a duel at 20 paces where you bring your hammer, and the other guy/gal brings his/her single shot rifle?

Even if the opponent misses he/she will still have a better club than your hammer! :laugh:

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 04 2013, 1:09 pm)
You liberals are going to hate this.......

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013....hotguns

This report proving the proposed ban is a knee jerk reaction based on emotion.

Why would liberals hate the fact you're repeating the same, stupid, failed argument?
 Post Number: 6
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Slinger is 496 a higher or lower number than 679?

Is it a higher or lower number than 8000?

Do you ever think through this stuff at all before posting?
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 04 2013, 3:08 pm)
Slinger is 496 a higher or lower number than 679?

I caught that too.  That math only works if you purposely separate rifles from shotguns (it doesn't even mention handguns) and compare each one to all hammers and clubs (which of course weren't separated).

From the article...
In 2011, there were 323 murders committed with a rifle but 496 murders committed with hammers and clubs. There were 356 murders in which a shotgun was the deadly weapon of choice.

That's ignoring the total # of hammers vs. rifles/shotguns issue brought up before.

It's not even a semi-intelligent manipulation of the numbers.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The point seems to be that banning/restricting "assault" rifles doesn't change the overall statistics.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 04 2013, 5:41 pm)
The point seems to be that banning/restricting "assault" rifles doesn't change the overall statistics.

Does it make killing lots of people in one spot easier or harder than using a hammer?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This really didn't go so well did it slinger?
 Post Number: 11
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Umm, about average for slinger, I would say.   :cool:

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good post and a great link!

Gunslinger's link focuses on the big picture - that ALL potential offensive weapons, NOT JUST GUNS, should be considered. I also maintain that killers will simply turn to OTHER offensive weapons once all the guns are confiscated. In a society as violent as America's, access to ALL potential offensive weapons is the problem.

I am not so concerned about clubs and hammers, but am very concerned about materials that can be used to make IED's - homemade bombs. A simple homemade bomb would probably have killed many more elementary students while allowing the madman to detonate the bomb from a distance using an easily available cellphone. This works in Afghanistan every day!

It is a lot of fun to poke fun at Gunslinger - but he does have a good point!
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Jan. 04 2013, 5:33 pm)
Good post and a great link!

Gunslinger's link focuses on the big picture - that ALL potential offensive weapons, NOT JUST GUNS, should be considered. I also maintain that killers will simply turn to OTHER offensive weapons once all the guns are confiscated. In a society as violent as America's, access to ALL potential offensive weapons is the problem.

I am not so concerned about clubs and hammers, but am very concerned about materials that can be used to make IED's - homemade bombs. A simple homemade bomb would probably have killed many more elementary students while allowing the madman to detonate the bomb from a distance using an easily available cellphone. This works in Afghanistan every day!

It is a lot of fun to poke fun at Gunslinger - but he does have a good point!

Sadly and horrifyingly the most everyday commodities would have been sufficient: gasoline and some glass bottles. Children trapped in classrooms are just so vulnerable.

The answer to that is a focus on the schools themselves it seems to me. Better security both physical and perhaps personnel wise.

If Newtown is going to be exploited shouldn't it be to actually prevent other Newtowns? Yes let's not "waste" this tragedy, let's use it to lesson the opportunities for similar ones in the future. Otherwise it's just grave robbing. Terribly damaged people have started being fascinated with some of our most vulnerable citizens so let's work to protect those children. That's the more immediate crisis as i see it.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sad thing is you liberals want to ban the most popular firearm sold in the US today when it's plays a very small role in over all firearm deaths.

Liberals are just plain idiots i guess.  Chicken littles.....waiting for the sky to fall.

No ban, no how, no way.

I hope the NRA makes you spend it all.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First they'll come for your Bushmaster and then they'll come for my neighbor's lawnmower fuel but then, oh my then, they'll come for my ski boat fuel and wine bottles! And Tide! Leaving me sober and somewhat dusty.

The horror.

Um, spend what "all"?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 04 2013, 10:01 pm)
Um, spend what "all"?

The political capital.  You see what happened after the last ban.....

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 04 2013, 9:52 pm)
The sad thing is you liberals want to ban the most popular firearm sold in the US today when it's plays a very small role in over all firearm deaths.

Liberals are just plain idiots i guess.  Chicken littles.....waiting for the sky to fall.

No ban, no how, no way.

two things

1) you're not in any position to call anyone or anything an "idiot" especially given the idiocy
of the OP you made(and of course the history of your posts)

2) You're engaging in hypocrisy since you have consistently accused liberals of calling right-wingers
like you "idiot", "stupid" etc.. yet here you are essentially calling liberals idiots.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 04 2013, 7:17 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 04 2013, 10:01 pm)
Um, spend what "all"?

The political capital.  You see what happened after the last ban.....

Ah, that makes sense. Political systems do seem to have a fairly low bandwidth as well.

Which is in this instance is why I'd prefer more emphasis on school security.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 04 2013, 6:18 pm)
This really didn't go so well did it slinger?

Not that he'll ever notice.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 04 2013, 9:52 pm)

No ban, no how, no way.

You really aren't the brightest bulb on the tree are ya?
 Post Number: 21
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 2:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I believe that if all guns were magically disinigrated, murder rates in the U.S.  would drop. But all the murders commited with guns would not be prevented; a certain percentage of those murders would still be commited by other means. A stalker ex-boyfriend might kill a woman with a knife instead of a pistol. A madman would "go postal" with a pickup truck on a sidewalk crowded with pedestrians.

By what percentage do you think the U.S. murder rate would drop with no guns at all? 10%? I don't know.

Now, find the statistics for murders commited with the weapons that many are clamoring to ban---assault weapons and high capacity magazines. Do those of you calling to ban these even know the statistics? I don't either, but I'm sure they are lower than most of you think, as Gunslinger is pointing out with this thread. So by what percentage would the U.S. murder rate realistically drop with this ban?

And remember, just because an assault weapon is used in a murder does not mean the full capability of that weapon was used. For example, the DC sniper used an AR-15, but could just as well used a bolt action rifle, since he was not spraying multiple rounds. And a stalker ex-boyfriend might use a 9mm pistol with a high capacity magazine, but if he only fires one shot to the head, then he could have just as easily used a revolver. So again, realistically by what percentage will the U.S. murder rate be reduced by this assault weapon ban so many are calling for?
 Post Number: 22
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Jan. 04 2013, 1:21 pm)
I see common sense and logic is a problem once again for Gunslinger. First the article says
specifically "rifles" and not firearms in general. Second people are going to obviously
have far more access to Hammers than Rifles.  If the stat was broke down in terms of
% so that you would look at the ratio of # of rifles to # of deaths versus the ratio of
# of Hammers versus # of deaths we would obviously see a total different view.

Now slinger. Did you not see the thread I made and the assoicated graph on violent deaths?

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1162211

Your approach MIGHT be valid IF the tool were the cause of the deaths, and that is false.  The tool user is the cause of the deaths, not the tool.  The point is a murderer is going to murder.  Take away one tool and he will use another.

As for your graph, it's interesting, but meaningless.  Did you bother to consider why there is a spike of violent deaths related to age?  Is it because guns jump into the hands of young males and turn them into killers, or is it because the preponderence of murderers are young males.  Yes, guns are a convenient way for them to accomplish that.  But absent guns, would these young males magically stop killing?  Or would they simply use a different tool?  Maybe a hammer?

Second, homicide statistics include ALL killings, including suicide and bad guys getting shot by police and by civilians.  Take away the guns and the bad guys will still kill, maybe using a hammer.  But if you take away the guns the civilians will have no effective means of self defense.  A hammer duel between an old man or woman and a young male is going to end only one way.  Allow that old man or woman to have a gun, and the outcome will likely be VERY different.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys just can't work fast enough to strip the rights of the american people.

You raise hell about asking a person who appears at the polls for a picture ID arguing it disenfranchises minorities and at the same time don't have a problem with ID's, background checks, all out bans, and confiscation of firearms.

Get ready for a fight on this one boys.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 04 2013, 5:57 pm)

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 04 2013, 5:41 pm)

Does it make killing lots of people in one spot easier or harder than using a hammer?

Yes, an "assault rifle" is an effective mass killing machine in a classroom.

So is a shotgun.

So is a machete.

As an example, in several weeks time half a MILLION people died in the Rwanda genocide.  The vast majority by machete.  Machete?!!  Machete's don't even show up on Dennis' graph.  How come people don't die by machete here?  They're not as common here as they are in Rwanda, where EVERYone has one.  But imagine for a moment if the victims of the genocide had something as simple as a light revolver to defend themselves with.  Would the genocide ever have happened?

Again, it's not the tool that's the problem.  It's the heart and mind of the person wielding the tool.  If murder is in their heart, they will find the tool to do it.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(george of the j @ Jan. 05 2013, 2:53 am)
Now, find the statistics for murders commited with the weapons that many are clamoring to ban---assault weapons and high capacity magazines. Do those of you calling to ban these even know the statistics? I don't either, but I'm sure they are lower than most of you think,

USA today had an interesting piece recently on mass killings.  It showed that we have a mass killing (killings involving more than four victims) in the USA about once every two weeks.  One third of mass killings do NOT involve a firearm.

Of the two thirds that do involve a firearm, a SMALL minority involve a long arm, including both rifles and shotguns.

Once you actually LOOK at the numbers and THINK about them (Dennis does the former very well.  But the latter?) calls for an assault gun ban become more and more mindless.

http://www.usatoday.com/story....1778303

And does the availability of guns turn an ordinary person into a mass killer?  Or is it the culture he grows up in?  According to this guy, it's the latter.

http://www.usatoday.com/story....1776191
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know not all lung cancer deaths involved smoking. So lets all keep lighting up!
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You going to try and steal a persons right to smoke next?

How long before big brother monitors everything?

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the article:
But for all the attention they receive, mass killings still accounted for only a tiny fraction — about 1% — of all the Americans who were murdered over those five years. During those five years, more died from migraines and falling out of chairs than were murdered by mass killers, according to death records kept by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Three times as many people perished from sunstroke.

And again... ~55 die every day in DUI/DWI MV crashes, about half under age 18.
Drinking/drunk drivers kill as many kids in 3 days as died in mass killing over 5 years.
DUI/DWI kills more people in 2 weeks than died in mass killings over 5 years.

So what's more dangerous? Drunk drivers or guns?

--------------

Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 05 2013, 7:06 am)
You going to try and steal a persons right to smoke next?

How long before big brother monitors everything?

A right to smoke ceases when a non-smoker is forced to inhale that crap.

--------------

Post Number: 30
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW, I personally don't believe that an "assault weapons ban" is going to solve anything at all, slinger.  You seem so intent on lumping anything that looks mildly "liberal" to you into one homogeneous category... which is, to put it mildly, stupid.

I simply don't agree with the ridiculous premise in your OP that hammers are more dangerous than guns. And the finagled numbers in that article don't back that up.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
102 replies since Jan. 04 2013, 1:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply hammers more dangerous than rifles
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions