2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Conservative election fixing, Gerrymander much?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 2:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is the kind of lowlife that make up the GOP elections these days. Fail to force their extremist ideas down America's throat so they continue to work to fix the elections.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinion....ry.html

The final results from the November election were completed Friday, and they show that Democratic candidates for the House outpolled Republicans nationwide by nearly 1.4 million votes and more than a full percentage point — a greater margin than the preliminary figures showed in November

Morally bankrupt ideology.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

even if Democrats were to win the popular vote by a whopping nine percentage points — a political advantage that can’t possibly be maintained year after year — they would have a tenuous eight-seat majority.
 Post Number: 3
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gerrymandering is one of those practices in which the refrain "both sides do it"  actually applies (the Democrat-controlled state legislature in Illinois certainly engages in it).

It may be that Republicans have gerrymandered to greater effect recently, but I don't see incumbent Congressmen from either party clamoring to end the practice. The fact is, gerrymandering protects the seats of incumbents when their party controls the state legislature.

Aside from gerrymandering, another factor in Dems winning fewer seats with more total votes is the concentration of Democratic voters in densely populated urban areas. Even if congressional districts were logically drawn to keep the borders geographically proximal, we could still see a disproportionate ratio between number of seats and total votes per party.

Bottom line is, neither party can lay claim to a higher principle on gerrymandering. When a party controlling a state legislature pushes through an amendment to the state constitution mandating impartially drawn congressional districts, then that party can legitimately lay claim to the higher ground.

Killing the gerrymander is IMO one of the most needed political reforms.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When looking at overall figures like that one, I try to keep in mind that not all districts have the same population.  Try as they might, when a state has x districts, most of those districts are equal, or nearly so.  But when compared to another state's district, there are imperfections.  Wyoming has only 1 Representative, so that district has a smaller number of voters than , say, 1 in Ca.  Rural states, where the vast majority of R representatives come from, have fewer voters per district than urban ones.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Jan. 05 2013, 2:35 pm)
Gerrymandering is one of those practices in which the refrain "both sides do it"  actually applies (the Democrat-controlled state legislature in Illinois certainly engages in it).

It may be that Republicans have gerrymandered to greater effect recently, but I don't see incumbent Congressmen from either party clamoring to end the practice. The fact is, gerrymandering protects the seats of incumbents when their party controls the state legislature.

Aside from gerrymandering, another factor in Dems winning fewer seats with more total votes is the concentration of Democratic voters in densely populated urban areas. Even if congressional districts were logically drawn to keep the borders geographically proximal, we could still see a disproportionate ratio between number of seats and total votes per party.

Bottom line is, neither party can lay claim to a higher principle on gerrymandering. When a party controlling a state legislature pushes through an amendment to the state constitution mandating impartially drawn congressional districts, then that party can legitimately lay claim to the higher ground.

Killing the gerrymander is IMO one of the most needed political reforms.

Well an independent electoral commission on a federal level with a rock-solid methodology would seen to be the way to progress.

Also if you are seeing urbanization take place, the boundary changes need to reflect that.
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its bad, but not as bad as it looks.

While a non-partisan, science based electoral commission would be a great thing, and would largely correct the situation, the demographic wave is going to undo much of the tightly defined gerrymandering, IMO.

As the young and the non-white take over the Republican grand plan will fall apart.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jan. 05 2013, 3:14 pm)
Its bad, but not as bad as it looks.

While a non-partisan, science based electoral commission would be a great thing, and would largely correct the situation, the demographic wave is going to undo much of the tightly defined gerrymandering, IMO.

As the young and the non-white take over the Republican grand plan will fall apart.

Hopefully that will be the case and they'll actually work out that their ideas are fundamentally wrong and change their policies.

They'll be no breathe holding though.
6 replies since Jan. 05 2013, 2:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Conservative election fixing
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions