2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 61 year old woman open fires on home invaders., She’s wounded but the bad guys flee< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 7:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good thing she was prepared.

Three Points woman injured in gun battle while protecting her home
Posted: Dec 27, 2012 4:33 PM by Lupita Murillo
Updated: Dec 27, 2012 5:02 PM

Investigators say multiple shots were fired but details from the victim are scarce. Detectives say they know the woman fired at the intruders.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You go Grandma!

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"A Three Points woman is still in critical condition after being shot in the chest Wednesday during a home invasion."

Not worth it.  Do you not have home insurance, grandma?  Lose a few things... versus emergency room right now with critical chest wound and God knows how long (and painful) a recuperating period?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's see.  Little old lady lives in a trailer park, out in the boonies of Az.  2 cars with "shiny wheels and low profile tires" are seen fleeing from the scene of the home invasion.  I have this question.  What did she have that was worth a life?  Or what attracted the carloads of young men to her home?  

Maybe, just maybe, she would have been better off walking out her back door and allowing the perps to go through her undie drawer.  

I will watch this to see if there is any further news.  Until then, there are just too many questions.  I happen to disagree with the assessment that it was a good thing she was armed, so far.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What did she have that was worth a life?

It doesn't really matter what she had. The bad guys made the decision that what she had was worth their lives, not her.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 27 2012, 6:38 pm)

It doesn't really matter what she had. The bad guys made the decision that what she had was worth their lives, not her.

But the decision to risk her life was hers - and that goes back to my post #3.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

She, and she alone, made the decision to use a firearm.  I see that as her deciding her possessions were worth shooting someone over.

Probable timeline:  Perps break into her home, she shoots her gun, they shoot her, she goes to the hospital.  No sign yet of any of her shots making their mark, or we would be reading about an arrest at a hospital.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 27 2012, 6:42 pm)

Your proposition then is the two carloads of intruders would have simply patted her on the cheek and offered her some gummy bears had she been unarmed?

Good one.
 Post Number: 9
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What ever happened to just stepping out the back door and calling on the local neighbors for assistance?  Just hold up in their home while the police are called.  

--------------

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why should I? It's MY home.

I'm willing to kill OR  die to protect it. Are the BGs willing to do the same to take it?

--------------

Post Number: 11
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Must have been something pretty attractive in that home to draw two carloads of armed intruders, neh?  

What do you suppose they were hoping to get, and how did they know it was there?

Seems like an incomplete story, so far.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Dec. 27 2012, 7:08 pm)
Must have been something pretty attractive in that home to draw two carloads of armed intruders, neh?  

What do you suppose they were hoping to get, and how did they know it was there?

Or a wrong address, on a number of levels.  Even cops have been known to raid the wrong address ("619 West 59th? Well sir and madam we're very sorry for your door and your dog and we'll leave the proper claim forms right here amongst the wreckage. Okay saddle up! We've got to get across town pronto!")

I agree in general though, I do draw the line at personal security not things (having insurance affords me some of that luxury). Amongst other things she may not have had a back door or a route to reach it that did'nt involve encountering the intruders. There's any number of places in my own home where that last would be true. Many people have second floor bedrooms that do tend to limit options as well.

Details are lacking in multiple direction. What flavor gummy bears were the intruders offering? ? Though I expect if she was cooking meth it would have been reported by now...
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 27 2012, 7:48 pm)
"A Three Points woman is still in critical condition after being shot in the chest Wednesday during a home invasion."

Not worth it.  Do you not have home insurance, grandma?  Lose a few things... versus emergency room right now with critical chest wound and God knows how long (and painful) a recuperating period?

Apparentlly you have some knowledege  we do not

If she had not fought back can you CONFIRM  that she would not have been killed?

Armed perps came into her home when she was home...why should she have to assume she would survive this incident if she had not defended herself???

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 14
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 27 2012, 7:02 pm)

I'm willing to kill OR  die to protect it.

Wow!
You must have some REALLY important STUFF in your house.

Me?  I'd use deadly force to defend myself or a family member if there was no better option.
I wouldn't start a gun fight over stuff though.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Dec. 27 2012, 10:06 pm)

Wow!

Me?  I'd use deadly force to defend myself or a family member if there was no better option.

It doesn't matter if it's a thrift store reject. It's mine.

Would you refuse to fight an invader of the US if they assured you they only wanted the "stuff" and wouldn't harm anyone who didn't resist? Same principle.

--------------

Post Number: 16
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 28 2012, 8:53 am)

Wow!

Would you refuse to fight an invader of the US if they assured you they only wanted the "stuff" and wouldn't harm anyone who didn't resist? Same principle.

Bet you're a lot of fun at a party...should anyone ever invite you to one.
 Post Number: 17
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe they were there to get some Granny Snatch.  But hell, she ain't putting it to good use anyway, let them have a go at it.  
Hopefully she recovers quickly and a few of her rounds met their mark.
 Post Number: 18
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 28 2012, 8:53 am)

Wow!

My things my precious things....
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 27 2012, 9:47 pm)

(Ben2World @ Dec. 27 2012, 6:42 pm)

Your proposition then is the two carloads of intruders would have simply patted her on the cheek and offered her some gummy bears had she been unarmed?

Good one.

Exactly right

Armed people invade your home when you are there and you should assume that they are not willing to kill you?

Or possibly even planning to kill you?

Just once I would like someone to explain to me how anyone can ever be certain they are not going to be killed by a bad guy with a gun?

That screwed up logic ranks right up there with telling women not to fight back during a sexual asssault

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 27 2012, 11:48 pm)

(wwwest @ Dec. 27 2012, 7:08 pm)

Or a wrong address, on a number of levels.  Even cops have been known to raid the wrong address ("619 West 59th? Well sir and madam we're very sorry for your door and your dog and we'll leave the proper claim forms right here amongst the wreckage. Okay saddle up! We've got to get across town pronto!")

I agree in general though, I do draw the line at personal security not things (having insurance affords me some of that luxury). Amongst other things she may not have had a back door or a route to reach it that did'nt involve encountering the intruders. There's any number of places in my own home where that last would be true. Many people have second floor bedrooms that do tend to limit options as well.

Details are lacking in multiple direction. What flavor gummy bears were the intruders offering? ? Though I expect if she was cooking meth it would have been reported by now...

Perhaps some newspaper published her name and address as a gun owner and they came to steal her weapons :)

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 21
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, another refutation of the claim that the bad guys won't go where they know that a homeowner is armed?

I thought that was the main justification for all these guns in the home.  

If having a firearm ready really doesn't stop the bad guys, maybe we should look for some better solutions, neh?

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drug deal gone wrong?  Doped up flower child in years past.... now T. T.  :p

--------------
 Post Number: 23
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 27 2012, 8:59 pm)
What ever happened to just stepping out the back door and calling on the local neighbors for assistance?  Just hold up in their home while the police are called.  

What if you don't have a back door? I live in an apartment with only one way in and thus only one way out.

If you come into my residence without my permission, you do so at your own risk and you must be willing to suffer the consequences.
 Post Number: 24
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, she should have just let them do as they please, because everyone knows that old ladies are never physically attacked, the invaders are just looking for TV or stereo.

BS.  

When someone breaks into a home the occupants' lives are always at risk, regardless of the age.

Alejandro Avalos Fernandez, A 24-year-old man, raped and strangled an 84-year-old retired psychiatrist during a 2001 break-in at her Carlsbad senior housing complex.

On June 28, 1984, Ricardo Ramirez attacked 79-year-old Jennie Vincow.  She was found dead in her apartment. She had been stabbed repeatedly, and her throat was slashed so severely she was almost decapitated.

On February 21, 1985, Ricardo Ramirez attacked sisters Christina and Mary Caldwell, aged 58 and 71. They were found dead in their home. They each were stabbed dozens of times.

On May 29, 1985, Ricardo Ramirez attacked Malvial Keller, 83, and her invalid sister, Blanche Wolfe, 80, beating each with a hammer. Ramirez attempted to rape Keller, but failed. Using lipstick, he drew a pentagram on Keller's thigh and on the wall in the bedroom. Blanche survived the attack.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When someone breaks into a home the occupants' lives are always at risk, regardless of the age.

In Montana, the act of unlawful entry into an occupied dwelling is evidence that the trespasser intends the occupants physical harm and deadly force can be used even if the trespasser is not (visibly) armed.

--------------

Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Dec. 28 2012, 10:01 am)

I don't expect cowards, those who flee and demand someone else put their life on the line instead, to ever be mentally capable of the necessary comprehension.

--------------

Post Number: 27
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 28 2012, 10:25 pm)

I don't expect cowards, those who flee and demand someone else put their life on the line instead, to ever be mentally capable of the necessary comprehension.

Cowardice? Really? I'd call it having some perspective. The way you associate gun ownership with some kinda bravery is pretty sad though. I'm soooo brave I managed to go up to the gun counter at my local Walmart.

Btw - Does anyone really think this was just a standard home invasion?
 Post Number: 28
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Dec. 28 2012, 9:31 pm)
Btw - Does anyone really think this was just a standard home invasion?

Around my neck of the woods, yeah, that's pretty much how it's done.
 Post Number: 29
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 4:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 28 2012, 10:25 pm)

At last we arrive at the crux of the issue.  

Now we as a society have to decide whether we will continue to be the land of the free and home of the brave and give the brave, like the principal and teachers at Newtown, the tools to stop evil.

Or...bah, bah, no one but the police are trustworthy and competent to protect themselves, bah, bah.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Dec. 28 2012, 8:31 pm)
Cowardice? Really? I'd call it having some perspective. The way you associate gun ownership with some kinda bravery is pretty sad though. I'm soooo brave I managed to go up to the gun counter at my local Walmart.

I repeat "to ever be mentally capable of the necessary comprehension" since I said nothing about bravery requiring a gun.

--------------

104 replies since Dec. 27 2012, 7:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 61 year old woman open fires on home invaders.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions