2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: An interesting article on TV Journalism, Cutouts and Cutaways...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:05 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That "TV can be misleading" is nothing new, but I found this video interesting, in that is helps give anyone who views TV interviews a chance to watch them with a bit keener eye.  Anyhoo, watch for yourself.  The content of the video isn't so much political, but the topics it covers are moreso, so I put it here:

IPCC's Ben Santer admits GW hoax!

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The opening to JFK is a good example of this kind of dishonest editing. It's presented as a documentary but then fictional material is inserted. Sometimes fictional audio was recorded and placed over real images, other times the reverse is done and it's cut so quickly it's difficult to distinguish fact from fiction without replaying it several times.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How long will this insane shift from journalism to entertainment go on before we swing back factual, objective reporting of important human events.

I know that even at its best journalism was never completley objective, but people like Edward R. Murrow were at least making a sincere effort at being objective.

The current crop of corporate "journalists" don't even pretend to be objective, or concerned about serious issues, they are perfectly happy to be manipulated with the goal of higher ratings.  Of course, it is not really working, more and more people have no interest in phony journalism, and they are competing for ratings in a smaller and smaller venue, but they keep right on trying.

I am sure it will swing back at some point, just wish it would start now.

If it were not for the web, with blogs and independent researchers it would be impossible to find out what is going on in the government in a timely manner.

Maybe broadcast journalism will never recover??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I already trust Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert more than most newscasters.  And, I KNOW they are entertainers. They just do a better job at entertaining me.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jan. 08 2013, 9:46 am)
I already trust Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert more than most newscasters.  And, I KNOW they are entertainers. They just do a better job at entertaining me.

Because they're at least honest about their intentions; they don't pretend to be something they're not.

GoBlue .... Excellent video, thanks.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I already trust Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert more than most newscasters"
Sad but I do too and for exactly the same reason.
Seriously give AlJazeera a go , news there is still news.
Loads of interesting (ad free) docos too.
6 replies since Jan. 07 2013, 5:05 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply An interesting article on TV Journalism
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions