2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: videotaped sheriff's deputies, and got charged for, charged with obstruction of legal proces< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bass Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 10:14 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Camera seized and man charged

He had been filming from about 30 feet away, he said. Henderson said deputies gave him no warning before Muellner took his camera.

His is the latest in a string of cases nationwide involving citizens who record police activities.

Since small, concealable cameras are cheap and easily available, I can't see why anyone would risk police seizing their camera and charging them with some bogus charges!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What an odd hobby, videoing cops?

But odd or not from the description he was totally within his rights and that HIPAA nonsense reveals the deputy for an idiot with an attitude (and a citation pad which is a bad combination).

Oh but the big visible camera is a part of the "In your face" game bring played here. One the officer should have had the intelligence to decline to play.
 Post Number: 3
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's what he gets for acting like a "buttinski".  Hahaha, is that an official term in that office?

"How was your shift?"
"Not bad, couple citations, one arrest, and several buttinski's required detaining"

In all seriousness, I hope the guy stands by his "I won't accept a plea deal, if offered".  Nothing against law enforcement in particular, but 2012 just made me weary of abuses from people in power.  It's time for this crap to stop, seriously...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Walking While Buttinski'ing?

Someone needs to clue the deputy in that's not what WWB stands for.....
 Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually, the big dollar law suits against the city is what will get this power trip under control.

The courts have been pretty consistent that openly videotaping police actions is lawful.  Doing it secretly might not be, in some jurisdictions.

State laws are already being passed to allow it, and many police departments are putting their own officer on video to protect them from false claims violence against citizens.  Of course, that does require a change of attitude on the part of their officers!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thuggish police behavior?  Yeah, maybe big-dollar lawsuits is the way to stop this... but that also means that we the citizens are the ones paying!  For police who are found guilty of abusing their power -- I'd rather see personal  consequences -- meaning money out of their  pockets -- not ours!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sh!t rolls downhill.  When the city pays, the police officers pay.

And remember, it is the people who elected city officials who allow this kind of crap to go on.  Vote for city officials who will do something about it.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jan. 09 2013, 11:15 am)
Sh!t rolls downhill.  When the city pays, the police officers pay.

And remember, it is the people who elected city officials who allow this kind of crap to go on.  Vote for city officials who will do something about it.

That's almost like saying when a corporation pays, its officers pay.  Not necessarily.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben2World
For police who are found guilty of abusing their power -- I'd rather see personal  consequences -- meaning money out of their  pockets -- not ours!

+1 !!!!

I would advocate the same for officers of corporations who do not really care if the corporation pays a big fine because they know that they will still get their stock option package - that the shareholders will pay.

It is time for lawmakers to rethink the existing laws shielding of police and corporate officers from lawsuits and punitive damages.

Until then, more citizens carrying small hidden cameras is sure to help. If something is not done, police will wake up one day and discover that they are hated by the majority of the citizens - and voters - that they are supposedly protecting.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Naw, we don't want to go there, and there is no need.

A little accountability, and just a smidgeon of common sense, will correct the problem, to the extent there really is a problem.  I think the practice of putting video in the patrol cars and on helmets is spreading much faster than thuggish behavior by a few bad apples.

It is always better when the officers live in the communities they serve, too.  Another kind of accountability that works well.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 11
rorak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 1:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now if we could only get them to stop lying, especially on official reports.

--------------
Paul   TC,MI.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now if we could only get them to stop lying, especially on official reports.

It is true that they sometimes lie, but so do all human beans.  It has more impact when they lie on their reports, but the courts and juries can sometimes correct that little problem.

Most officers are terrible liers on the stand, and the judge and jury often pick up on that.  Plus, once a DDA finds out that an officer lies, their credibility is shot forever.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
11 replies since Jan. 09 2013, 10:14 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply videotaped sheriff's deputies, and got charged for
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions