2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

new topic new poll
Topic: Federal funding for Police in schools?, Proposed by Ca.'s Sen. Boxer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 2:33 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

And being seriously considered by VP Biden's group.

White House may consider funding for police in schools after Newtown

http://m.washingtonpost.com/politic....ry.html

"The school safety initiative, one of several under consideration, would make federal dollars available to schools that want to hire police officers and install surveillance equipment, "

As a school tragedy has sparked this round of consideration I'm heartened to see something applicable to school security being considered and hopefully implemented.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

+1

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 3
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Now if only we could come up with some ways of reducing the chances of that officer being outgunned by a loser with an assault rifle???
 Post Number: 4
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

His boss is skeptical that more guns in schools is a good idea

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 5
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

I am not in favor of putting guns in schools but if we want to put police in the schools I think that we should have a small tax on ammunition and the purchase of guns to pay for it and other adverse effects of guns.  We do this now for tobacco and alcohol so why not tax ammunition and gun purchase.  

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 6
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(Land Rover @ Jan. 11 2013, 8:33 am)
Now if only we could come up with some ways of reducing the chances of that officer being outgunned by a loser with an assault rifle???

Repeating the misinformation over and over wont make it so. It wasn't an "assault rifle"

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(Roger @ Jan. 11 2013, 8:52 am)
I am not in favor of putting guns in schools but if we want to put police in the schools I think that we should have a small tax on ammunition and the purchase of guns to pay for it and other adverse effects of guns.  We do this now for tobacco and alcohol so why not tax ammunition and gun purchase.  

There are already federal taxes on firearms and ammunition....use that $$

http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/index.shtml

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 8
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

The current tax is suppost to be used for wildlife restoration.  An addition tax  for funding the prevention and results of gun violence is what I would like to see.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 9
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(Roger @ Jan. 11 2013, 9:54 am)
The current tax is suppost to be used for wildlife restoration.  An addition tax  for funding the prevention and results of gun violence is what I would like to see.

+1

And I too, am glad to see this (police) on the table.  Far, far better than either the volunteer corps or armed teacher ideas.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

This has already been implemented in Butler, PA and Marlboro, NJ without federal funds which is what I'd really prefer. Perhaps a means test so school districts in financial straights get some aid but otherwise they assume the burden of their local security responsibilities (which they do as detailed in the Washington Post Butler article already to a large degree).

After Newtown shootings, Pennsylvania county hires armed school guards
 Post Number: 11
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 11 2013, 7:06 am)

+1

And I too, am glad to see this (police) on the table.  Far, far better than either the volunteer corps or armed teacher ideas.

Count me as one in favor of trained professionals over weekend warriors.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(hbfa @ Jan. 11 2013, 9:20 am)

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 11 2013, 7:06 am)

+1

Count me as one in favor of trained professionals over weekend warriors.

Totally agree: I suggested that weeks back. Beyond that there may be places that could reposition  the neighborhood police mini-stations at the school location. That was opposed by some as being either too "police state" or somehow scaring the children but I disagree: having children and thus the adults they'll become, more familiar with police is a good thing. You're not scared of the familiar in my view.
 Post Number: 13
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(Land Rover @ Jan. 11 2013, 8:33 am)

Maybe by arming that officer with an assault rifle?
 Post Number: 14
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 11 2013, 12:35 pm)
Totally agree: I suggested that weeks back. Beyond that there may be places that could reposition  the neighborhood police mini-stations at the school location. That was opposed by some as being either too "police state" or somehow scaring the children but I disagree: having children and thus adults more familiar with police is a good thing. You're not scared of the familiar in my view.

Totally agree.  Children should be both familiar and comfortable with police.  My guess about objections to this is not worries about a "police state", but rather worries that children would become familiar with seeing armed people protecting them and being not only comfortable around arms, but possibly associating (at an early age) arms with personal security.
 Post Number: 15
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

I live in the third largest school district in Texas, the district has it's own police force, numbers about 60 people at the present time, our high schools and middle schools have had officers present for several years, there is now talk to add enough more officers to cover the elementary schools, which will be a sizeable expense, the district has over 50 elementary schools.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 16
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(Chuck D @ Jan. 11 2013, 12:56 pm)
I live in the third largest school district in Texas, the district has it's own police force, numbers about 60 people at the present time, our high schools and middle schools have had officers present for several years, there is now talk to add enough more officers to cover the elementary schools, which will be a sizeable expense, the district has over 50 elementary schools.

Can't you just cut educational funding to cover the gap needed to provide police throughout all the schools in the district?  :;):

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 17
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Just add the cost onto the deficit, think of it as another Iraq, and we'll never even notice the extra cost.   :p

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 18
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Turn schools into fortresses and the next Adam Lanza will wait for the school bus driver to open the door for the last kids on his run, shoot the driver, then massacre all the kids trapped on the bus.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 19
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Tax the guns and ammo within an inch of their life. Put computers and books in the schools. Pscych exams for gun nuts, because clearly some of them are crazy. There are a few posters here that are a little overdue for that psych exam.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

I heard of one school district in Illinois where the parents all chipped in for school security following columbine

The states should fund it....and since it is all about the children I am sure the teachers union will provide the funds

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 21
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

So the teachers should provide the funds for the security of your children?
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   

Per the new forum regulations:

Topic Locked.
21 replies since Jan. 11 2013, 2:33 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Federal funding for Police in schools?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions