2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: With gun bans come loss of conservation funds., Who's going to step up to pay?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BackpackHNTR Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 1:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If "Assault" weapons, and other firearm components are banned, major losses to Pittman-Robertson funding will take place.

Who's going to replace that lost revenue? This funding pays for many of the conservation programs we all benefit from.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BackpackHNTR @ Jan. 11 2013, 1:30 pm)
If "Assault" weapons, and other firearm components are banned, major losses to Pittman-Robertson funding will take place.

Who's going to replace that lost revenue? This funding pays for many of the conservation programs we all benefit from.

I will.  I'll pay for the whole damn thing, if it keeps you quiet...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 11 2013, 11:44 am)

Looks like you'll need to come up with $247,500,000 dollars then. If you do, I will.

That's million dollars just so you know. That's also just from the banning of "Assault" type weapons. Magazines and other components will add to that deficit.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs....-battle

This is what will be lost in revenue to fund conservation programs across the country.
 Post Number: 4
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are banning guns!! Who knew?!? Quick honey, get to the Camaro I'll comb my mullet over and let's head to Walmart and buy em all!
 Post Number: 5
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

$247.5 Million represents the taxes raised by ALL MODERN SPORTING RIFLES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN SOLD.  Did you catch that?  They've already been sold.

So it wouldn't cost $247.5M.  Probably closer to something like $15M a year, which is far easier to come up with another source (a fee for hikers/backpackers??).

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 11 2013, 1:44 pm)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While no one is saying to ban all guns, hunters pony up about $185 million each year in conservation fees that go to all wildlands.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That boy has never been good with math, or any other higher brain functions. He can quote a bumper sticker without too many errors.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 9
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everyone here knows I'm very appreciative of the unmatched contributions sportsmen and women make to conservation. I must however note that if someone is even entertaining the thought of hunting with an automatic or semi-automatic weapon then they are IMO an idiot.

Despite the deluded assertions of Penn & Teller, etc., anyone with a basic grasp of the English Language and punctuation understands the first part of the Second Amendment is unequivocally a qualifier for the second. Doesn't seem to matter to folks like BPH that there is no well funded/organized effort to ban all firearms. How such ludicrous paranoia comes to being boggles the mind. Unless of course you're collecting dues for deceitful agendas.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 10
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jan. 12 2013, 9:56 am)
Everyone here knows I'm very appreciative of the unmatched contributions sportsmen and women make to conservation. I must however note that if someone is even entertaining the thought of hunting with an automatic or semi-automatic weapon then they are IMO an idiot.

Not to mention, not much of a sportsman.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How can you discuss "gun control" when you have people that don't have a clue what a "Sporting" arm is even considered.

I don't have the figures, but the majority of waterfowl hunters use semi auto's.

The number 1 selling "sporting" arm sold today is the AR.
 Post Number: 12
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Despite the deluded assertions of Penn & Teller, etc., anyone with a basic grasp of the English Language and punctuation understands the first part of the Second Amendment is unequivocally a qualifier for the second. Doesn't seem to matter to folks like BPH that there is no well funded/organized effort to ban all firearms. How such ludicrous paranoia comes to being boggles the mind. Unless of course you're collecting dues for deceitful agendas.

Only idiots think that the current debate is about automatic weapons :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 13
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And Saddam Hussein liked to fish by throwing hand grenades in the water. Some people like to pretend to be sportsman. Others actually are.
 Post Number: 14
ScotH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The semi auto's that are doing the "killing" are hand guns. The  FBI's murder statistics relating to rifles places some thing like 3.5% of all murders in 2011. Of which AR's are a sub set in the rifle category.
I am not an AR guy, I don't own a semi automatic either. I have complete confidence that Duck and Goose hunters are not the issue as it relates to gun violence, removing semi automatic shotguns from their hands will do nothing to address the murder rate in our country.
If You want to get serious about gun violence focus of urban area's with population sizes of 250,000 and greater and get the illegal hand guns out of the criminals hands there. Coincidentally many of these urban area's have the strictest gun laws in the country. So the correlation between stricter gun control laws and a commensurate reduction in gun violence is not supported.
You can debate whether or not a "sportsman" needs a semi auto but you can't debate their influence on violent crime or murder rates. The guys with the  Remington's, Browning's and Benelli's, the yellow lab and the decoys are not committing heinous acts of violence.
 Post Number: 15
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 11 2013, 11:12 am)
$247.5 Million represents the taxes raised by ALL MODERN SPORTING RIFLES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN SOLD.  Did you catch that?  They've already been sold.

So it wouldn't cost $247.5M.  Probably closer to something like $15M a year, which is far easier to come up with another source (a fee for hikers/backpackers??).

Nice catch.

Also, too: the revenue loss estimate assumes that hunters who can't buy assault rifles with high-capacity magazines will, instead, buy nothing at all. Which is kind of an odd assumption.

One more thing: any benefit from the excise tax on guns & ammunition is at least partly offset by the damage from lead ammunition (the condor population, for example, has been devastated by this). So factor that in as well.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ScotH @ Jan. 12 2013, 11:09 am)
The semi auto's that are doing the "killing" are hand guns. The  FBI's murder statistics relating to rifles places some thing like 3.5% of all murders in 2011. Of which AR's are a sub set in the rifle category.
I am not an AR guy, I don't own a semi automatic either. I have complete confidence that Duck and Goose hunters are not the issue as it relates to gun violence, removing semi automatic shotguns from their hands will do nothing to address the murder rate in our country.
If You want to get serious about gun violence focus of urban area's with population sizes of 250,000 and greater and get the illegal hand guns out of the criminals hands there. Coincidentally many of these urban area's have the strictest gun laws in the country. So the correlation between stricter gun control laws and a commensurate reduction in gun violence is not supported.
You can debate whether or not a "sportsman" needs a semi auto but you can't debate their influence on violent crime or murder rates. The guys with the  Remington's, Browning's and Benelli's, the yellow lab and the decoys are not committing heinous acts of violence.

And neither are the millions of responsible gun owners with whatever their weapon(s) of choice.

Criminals and mad dog killers are the problem

But responsible gun owners are the only ones you can really screw with :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 17
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jan. 12 2013, 6:56 am)

Machine guns ( automatic weapons) are already banned and full confiscation would be in line with that so as for hunting with them? Strawman.

As to semi automatic rifles and shotguns, while bolt action, pumps and single shot firearms have been popular in the past, semiautomatic versions of those  as well as handguns have gained popularity from utility as far as I can tell and those that so choose don't appear to be deserving of the epithet "idiots" simply for choosing a different loading mechanism than what you might prefer.

Granted I think ALL hunting should be banned other than for meat: possession of a head or other strictly trophy part would be punishable by law. Killing for entertainment being nowhere to be found in the Constitution.
 Post Number: 18
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montanalonewolf
no one is saying to ban all guns

WRONG!

I have not been shy about my position that ALL GUNS, even police guns, should be banned.

BTW, we have been agreeing on too much lately - even that when semi-autos are banned, crazies will just turn to other guns and weapons. It is nice to see that things are returning to normal.

--------------
watch "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 13 2013, 3:48 pm)

(double cabin @ Jan. 12 2013, 6:56 am)

Machine guns ( automatic weapons) are already banned and full confiscation would be in line with that so as for hunting with them? Strawman.

As to semi automatic rifles and shotguns, while bolt action, pumps and single shot firearms have been popular in the past, semiautomatic versions of those  as well as handguns have gained popularity from utility as far as I can tell and those that so choose don't appear to be deserving of the epithet "idiots" simply for choosing a different loading mechanism than what you might prefer.

Granted I think ALL hunting should be banned other than for meat: possession of a head or other strictly trophy part would be punishable by law. Killing for entertainment being nowhere to be found in the Constitution.

I agree on the hunting....at the very least someone that is too stupid to eat their kill could easily donate the meat

And while some folks here are envisioning a hunter spraying bullets on full auto into a herd of deer, single shot weapons are in the minority because you never know when you need a follow up shot

of course I have an old model 10 12 gauge that hails from before they added the disconnect....so you can fire it simply by holding the trigger and pumping it...a true assault weapon that is much older than I am

The advantage of the AR platform is essentially ergonomics. You can have multiple caliber uppers so that you can hunt, comptete, and practice all with the same operating system. For hunting, you will use a 5 round magazine and save the larger capacity feeding systems for training and competition....and defense

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Jan. 13 2013, 4:51 pm)
Montanalonewolf
no one is saying to ban all guns

WRONG!

I have not been shy about my position that ALL GUNS, even police guns, should be banned.

BTW, we have been agreeing on too much lately - even that when semi-autos are banned, crazies will just turn to other guns and weapons. It is nice to see that things are returning to normal.

I applaud you for your honesty even if I find your POV naive

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 21
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Likely that nobody here does plan on taking a mini-14 or any semi-auto rifle hunting, but they are legal hunting rifles. Anyway, the 2nd having nothing whatsoever to do with hunting, it doesn't matter.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
20 replies since Jan. 11 2013, 1:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply With gun bans come loss of conservation funds.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions