2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Live by the gun die by the gun< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 6:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How could a gun expert possibly be murdered? Could the gun nuts be wrong?

http://www.cnn.com/2013....t=hp_t2
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You do realize that you are talking about the murder of a human being right?

Not sure how the credibility of your anti gun nut propaganda is furthered by such a callous attitude towards murder. But, I guess for you….being “right” is far more important than something petty like a human life.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 7:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

These are all topics about the murder of human beings some of them children. It's kinda late for you to climb on your high horse.  The argument has been made countless times on this forum that arming oneself is the solution to keep from being shot. There are even certain lunatics who think teachers should be armed. Here's an example of a guy who was armed to the teeth. Whatcha want to bet it'll turn out he was killed by one of his own weapons.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm guessing this lunatic did it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH3MLmvhuCA
 Post Number: 5
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still not quite getting it

Taking some measure of responsibility for protecting yourself is not some magic shield

But notice that the police did not manage to keep him from getting killed

So simply trusting to the state to somehow keep him safe was not the answer either

Lots of cops get shot with their own weapons....by your "logic" I guess they should disarm

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh okay. It was failure on the part of the police. Brilliant analysis Bab.

Love this line, "Lots of cops get shot with their own weapons....by your "logic" I guess they should disarm "  What a completely ass backwards conclusion. The fact that even cops shoot themselves is just more evidence of the dangers of a heavily armed society. Honestly Bab, I don't know how you find your way out to the woods. Do you take a Scout Master with you?
 Post Number: 7
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Predators and their necessary victims are everywhere, obviously.  Given the lust for guns prevalent in this country, particularly strong among the criminal class (who also have access to the internet), how much sense does it make to identify yourself as a full monty gun owner on Youtube for chrissake?  Jeez.

Don't know the particulars of this case but stupidity does jump right out there front and center, 'ya know?

My advice to gun owners is to keep  'em oiled and ready but don't make yourself into a target for predators by bragging about your kinetic capability.  Be smart about it.  Improve your odds.  Resist Stardom.  Keep 'em locked up.

As for those who remain opposed to gun ownership generally, well, my view is that predators pretty much preclude enjoying that luxury.  That ain't the world we live in.  You are responsible for your own self defense and no amount of cerebral masturbation is gonna' change that fact.  Deal with it.  

Drake
 Post Number: 8
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As for those who remain opposed to gun ownership generally, well, my view is that predators pretty much preclude enjoying that luxury.  That ain't the world we live in.  You are responsible for your own self defense and no amount of cerebral masturbation is gonna' change that fact.  Deal with it.  

I don't know if your misrepresentation is due to lack of information, or if it is willful.

I haven't heard a single voice here that is against gun ownership "generally".

I personally own 11 guns, and I think that American citizens should be able to own guns which are sensible for hunting, plinking and self protection.  I don't think that definition includes military style semi auto or auto guns that are capable of firing more than six rounds without reloading.  That is not any opposition to gun ownership generally, it is a vote for sensible gun ownership, and I think it would help, i.e., be one of several actions taken, to make guns less deadly when they are in the hands of a mass killer.

Can you address the real position, as opposed to the one you imagine??

I own only one semi auto gun, a .22 rifle, and I would be willing to give that one up if it helps to make guns less deadly for the mass killers.  Maybe there are other ways to make semi autos less deadly, like smart gun technology, and that would be fine.  But we need to do something to make guns less deadly in the hands of a mass killer.

Please explain to me why that is a bad goal??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think only BAss has been expressing outright opposition to gun ownership in general.

The horse has bolted and the stable burned to the ground on that one.

As for protecting yourself. We are always responsible for our own self protection. Some seem to think that a gun is an adequate substitute for a brain though.

The gun has become their first layer of self-defense and not the last.
 Post Number: 10
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 13 2013, 9:27 am)

Love this line, "Lots of cops get shot with their own weapons....by your "logic" I guess they should disarm "  What a completely ass backwards conclusion. The fact that even cops shoot themselves is just more evidence of the dangers of a heavily armed society. Honestly Bab, I don't know how you find your way out to the woods. Do you take a Scout Master with you?

I see reading comprehension is still a struggle for you :D

I did not say cops shoot themselves with their own weapons

I said cops get shot with their own weapons

As in a bad guy shoots them with their own weapon

By your logic, that means to make them safer they should not have a weapon that can be used against them

www.....you are the worst kind of gun owner.....the one that decides what everyone else should have. If we could somehow....in your utopia rid the world of all semi automatics then the next person would be killed with a revolver or a double barreled shotgun and you would be stuck making more excuses for another failed attempt at evil control

This guy had the same kind of evil guns you own

12 dead and 25 wounded

http://www.nydailynews.com/news.....178535

In fact by your standards his .22lr was "less deadly" than yours

And yet you still seem to be fixated on the reloading as the source of all evil :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 11
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jan. 13 2013, 10:29 am)
And yet you still seem to be fixated on the reloading as the source of all evil :laugh:

If reloading was a non-issue for effective kill rates, our military would be using bolt action rifles.
 Post Number: 12
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jan. 13 2013, 9:27 am)
I haven't heard a single voice here that is against gun ownership "generally".

But it's much easier to argue against those who are generally against gun ownership.
That's why you see similar phrases repeated over an over again.

Never mind that such assertions are not based in reality.
 Post Number: 13
Drake Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WWW,

I can't address the "real" position, as you have misidentified it.  I represent this position, that would be the realist position, if your view is cloudy.

And I don't debate such subjects.  Fantasy is already well-supported, obviously, requiring no further contribution from me.

HYOH

Drake
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jan. 13 2013, 1:29 pm)

(HighGravity @ Jan. 13 2013, 9:27 am)

I see reading comprehension is still a struggle for you :D

I did not say cops shoot themselves with their own weapons

I said cops get shot with their own weapons

As in a bad guy shoots them with their own weapon

By your logic, that means to make them safer they should not have a weapon that can be used against them

www.....you are the worst kind of gun owner.....the one that decides what everyone else should have. If we could somehow....in your utopia rid the world of all semi automatics then the next person would be killed with a revolver or a double barreled shotgun and you would be stuck making more excuses for another failed attempt at evil control

This guy had the same kind of evil guns you own

12 dead and 25 wounded

http://www.nydailynews.com/news.....178535

In fact by your standards his .22lr was "less deadly" than yours

Seriously son, how do you find your way home? Whether the cop shoots himself or is shot with his own weapon the point is the same. If cops are being shot with their own weapons that's more evidence that a heavily armed populace is not a safer place. Why are simple things so difficult for you?
13 replies since Jan. 12 2013, 6:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Live by the gun die by the gun
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions