2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "Why I Gave Up My Guns"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 7:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting article by an honest citizen, who will be greatly derided by the gun nut fantasy gurus on this site:

The desire to feel secure is understandable, but our fantasies are killing us. America averages 34 gun homicides a day.

For an organization that blames America’s gun crisis on violent movies, the NRA in particular seems deeply committed to cultivating the notion that we can all be the stars of our own personal action flicks.

I got my opportunity to play hero. Not in fantasy, but in real life, the chance to flex my finger with three pounds of pressure and shoot another human being dead in my driveway because he wanted to steal my TV. Right after we moved, I sold all my guns. I never wanted to put myself in that position again.

Enough is enough. In 2008, Japan, which maintains strict gun regulations, saw 11 gun homicides; in that same year, America had over 12,000. This is the world in which we live, which we have made for ourselves, and which understandably inspires fear.

The choice before us now is either to double down on that fear and make the situation worse by arming ourselves further, or to break the chains of fantasy altogether. Blithely wielding the power to kill does not make you heroic, and it will not make you safe. We are not free if we choose to continue living in fantasy, and we are not brave if we choose to continue living in fear.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion....oHMF3J7

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NRA releases shooting game for ages 4+

http://www.politico.com/story....ml=po_r

I guess we should thank the NRA for keeping the pot stirred, neh?

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 3
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When 5 or six guys show up on meth and want to do your girlfriend you can pat yourself on the back some more. Stock up on microwave popcorn----it's fast----you wont want to miss viewing the action.

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 4
BackpackHNTR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FnAskippy @ Jan. 14 2013, 6:17 pm)
When 5 or six guys show up on meth and want to do your girlfriend you can pat yourself on the back some more. Stock up on microwave popcorn----it's fast----you wont want to miss viewing the action.

That won't happen, it's against the law.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why would there be derision for someone who was, by his own admission, saved a potentially nasty confrontation by a determined burglar by the presence of a firearm when it's presence was made known by the noise of its being loaded?

"But the unmistakable sound of the pump carried to the backyard, and, in a flash, the prowler was gone — a blur of raggedy jeans and tattered flannel sliding across the hood of my car and vaulting over the picket fence into the night..."

Rather validates the premise that a firearm can provide a deterrence and thus some personal security. Without harming anyone at all in fact, which is the ideal outcome IMHO.

Nice no one got hurt, they probably should have moved out sooner but sometimes that's just not affordable. So he then moved somewhere safer, reassessed his risks and gave up the no longer deemed necessary firearm. Seems reasonable to me, I wouldn't keep sump pumps available once I didn't live in a basement flooding area either. OTOH kitchen fire extinguishers* are always prudent as I see it. As are a comprehensive array of smoke alarms.

* Admitted at the risk of being derided as a fantasy firefighter wannabe, so I'll answer the anticipated question, no, I do not now nor have I ever owned a Dalmatian.
 Post Number: 6
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FnAskippy @ Jan. 14 2013, 8:17 pm)

And what is five or six guys on Meth show up carrying AR15s which the availability to you has made them so easy for anyone to get hold of.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He is right though. It seems a lot of gun owners think their time at the range means they will handle any situation well, but the reality is the pressure of the situation is something they are not going to be able to replicate.

The starring in their own action movie is a pretty accurate description of most gun nuts. Most, not all, but most - generally the loudest ones.
 Post Number: 8
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 14 2013, 7:00 pm)
It seems a lot of gun owners think their time at the range means they will handle any situation well, but the reality is the pressure of the situation is something they are not going to be able to replicate.

This is exactly why I don't support the NRA's idea of having armed weekend warriors at my kids schools.
 Post Number: 9
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not a fantasy to think a gun could be successfully used against a home intruder.

It's a fantasy to think the public needs guns to overthrow our government.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 14 2013, 9:56 pm)

(FnAskippy @ Jan. 14 2013, 8:17 pm)

And what is five or six guys on Meth show up carrying AR15s which the availability to you has made them so easy for anyone to get hold of.

OK. Lets assume they sold the guns for drug money and show up with shovels instead. What then ? Utilize all of the skills you leaned while hiding an erection at Chuck Norris movies ?

--------------

Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My gawd. Even his car is a British wimpmobile

--------------

Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 12
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are too many people who fantasize about killing people. Have you seen that bumper sticker that says, "If you can read this, you're in range"? That's not a sentiment of a hobbyist. That's the sentiment of someone who's looking for an excuse to shoot somebody.
 Post Number: 13
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 15 2013, 8:10 am)
There are too many people who fantasize about killing people. Have you seen that bumper sticker that says, "If you can read this, you're in range"? That's not a sentiment of a hobbyist. That's the sentiment of someone who's looking for an excuse to shoot somebody.

An ******* has a bumper sticker on his car like that.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 14
Montecresto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No derision. I don't think I would pull the trigger on a guy stealing my tv. That's reserved for an intruder who means bodily harm. Japan's culture is a world apart from the screwed up American culture, there probably wouldn't be a significant increase in homicide there even if there was widespread gun ownership.

--------------
Killing one person is murder, killing a 100,000 is foreign policy
 Post Number: 15
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FnAskippy @ Jan. 15 2013, 1:45 am)
My gawd. Even his car is a British wimpmobile

Ohmmm.....thats a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Just pointing out the obvious.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FnAskippy @ Jan. 14 2013, 7:17 pm)

"When 5 or six guys show up on meth and want to do you your girlfriend can pat herself on the back some more. Stock up on microwave popcorn----it's fast----she wont want to miss viewing the action."

Fixed it for you.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 3:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OUCH ! Microwave popcorn and Crisco ..... that way the chick at checkout will just think I'm too stupid to know the popcorn is for the microwave.A no childs leffeded behine home ec class.The NO NRA hat could be a giveaway too.
There's a blast from the past !!! Home economics. Sewing, baking, other do yourself household chores while guys took "industrial arts", wiring a light switch, adjusting the shitter, putting tubes in the brainwashing box, sharpening weapons of death, marksmanship.

Home ec 2012...." Like should I like use Visa, like discovery, or like just like PayPal it ?"
" Whaddya mean I have to pay for it later ? Duhhhh. That's like what the card does ! "

--------------

Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 18
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People that do not want to own guns...shouldn't own guns

And people that do not want to own guns should not dictate what other people can own.

However if you are one of those folks that is determined to outsource your personal security you may want to consider living very close to a police station or a doughnut shop

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jan. 20 2013, 10:48 am)
People that do not want to own guns...shouldn't own guns

And people that do not want to own guns should not dictate what other people can own.

However if you are one of those folks that is determined to outsource your personal security you may want to consider living very close to a police station or a doughnut shop

Donut shops huh? You don't like anyone do you?
 Post Number: 20
Nickrp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK so if the Meth heads show up with AR's, I will have my own AR at least then its a somewhat even playing field.  But here is my question, how did they get AR's?  being they are meth heads they wouldnt pass the background check.... so they got them illegally.  So if we make them illegal that will prevent me, an honest citizen from purchasing one, cause its illegal.  But obviously the meth heads will not have a problem breaking the law to get their AR's.  So now, they show up with their AR's and i sit there un-armed and unable to protect my family.....Look at Kennesaw GA, its the law that every head of household must own a gun and their crime rate is 80 somthing % lower than the rest of the country.  How likely are you to commit a crime when you know the person you are robbing/rapping/killing more than likely also has a gun and now you no longer have the advantage.  Now I am not saying we should force people to own guns, if you dont want one, you shouldnt have one.  But making it harder to obtain one for upstanding citizens is just rediculous. (side not, it should be much more difficult to obtain a gun and anyone with a criminal pass should not be able to obtain one legally)
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 7:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Nickrp @ Jan. 22 2013, 7:56 am)
 But here is my question, how did they get AR's?  being they are meth heads they wouldnt pass the background check.... so they got them illegally.

LOL - That's an amusing comment. Naive, but amusing.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 22 2013, 7:57 am)

(Nickrp @ Jan. 22 2013, 7:56 am)
 But here is my question, how did they get AR's?  being they are meth heads they wouldnt pass the background check.... so they got them illegally.

LOL - That's an amusing comment. Naive, but amusing.

My point was Meth heads ready to rape someone obviously arent concerned about the Law and are most likely repeat offenders.  Meaing they cant legally even own a gun, but they have them.  So by making assult rifles illegal may make it a bit harder for then to obtain them illegally, it most likely wont stop them.  On the other hand, if assult weapons are illegal, it would stop me as I am not one to break the law.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL - Naive as hell. Damn.
 Post Number: 24
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK so if the Meth heads show up with AR's, I will have my own AR at least then its a somewhat even playing field.

Like to beat like?

At close in self defense, as in your yard or inside your house, a 12ga loaded with buckshot trumps any assault weapon.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 22 2013, 8:28 am)
OK so if the Meth heads show up with AR's, I will have my own AR at least then its a somewhat even playing field.

Like to beat like?

At close in self defense, as in your yard or inside your house, a 12ga loaded with buckshot trumps any assault weapon.

I fully agree that a shotgun is the best home self defense weapon.  Easy to aim and fire in a panic situation and scary as hell.  

I love how I am called naive because I dont think making something illegal will stop criminals from obtaining it.  Oh wait maybe I am, I mean look how well the drug war is going....as soon as they made all those evil drugs like pot illegal everyone just stopped using....

I personally dont even own a gun as I currently dont feel I need one for self defense or for a means of hunting.  So you cant claim I am a gun nut.  

But an all out ban of assult rifles is just plain stupid, that just tips the scales in the criminals favor even more as it may slow them down from getting assult rifles it will not stop them.  but it will stop me.  

As far as Kid's shooting up schools, thats the parents fault for letting their unstable child have access to any fire arms.  You can argue back and forth on that all you want, you will be wrong if you think the blame lays with anyone/thing but the parents.

As far as restrictions, I support restricting ownership of Assult rifles fully.  as well as background checks and such.  granted, as i said criminals are gonna get them anyway but i am all for making it as difficult as possible for them without punishing honest citizens.  If i were to go buy an AR, i would be fine with it taking 3-6 months as I would be using it for home defense and recreation so in all reality whats the rush?  As far as banning "high cap" mags, sure lets ban high cap mags, but truely high cap mags.  Im talking drums (50rd plus, there is never a realist civilian application for that) but banning 11? thats just a slippery slope.  

Call me naive all you want, but your the one that thinks making something illegal will just solve the problem....
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to hear you say it.  One of the points I have been trying to make all along.
Another reason that semi auto many shooters have no business being in private hands, one small step toward cutting down on inappropriate guns in the hands of a mass killer.

Most of the meth heads get their many shooters by buying them from gun nuts who need to pay the mortgage after running out to buy another Bushmaster or two when panicking about the new push for gun controls, or they just break and steal them from the gun nuts closet.

We will never put much of a dent in mass killings until we get smart gun technology perfected and retrofit all the guns in private hands, so that only the licensed owner of a gun can fire that gun.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jan. 22 2013, 9:56 am)

We will never put much of a dent in mass killings until we get smart gun technology perfected and retrofit all the guns in private hands, so that only the licensed owner of a gun can fire that gun.

That indeed would be an amazing step forward, making firearms only able to shoot when being held by the owner/selected individuals.  would cut down on accidents for sure and i would be all for that as unauthorized individuals should not be allowed to fire a weapon.  
but as far as murders/crimes, it may help but its not a solution.  The weapon isnt the problem its the people.  People will just find another way to kill.  Look at the UK, they are considering banning long kitchen knives because they are used too often in crimes.... so whats next?  Again they are blaming the tool rather than the person.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Nickrp @ Jan. 22 2013, 10:12 am)

(wwwest @ Jan. 22 2013, 9:56 am)

That indeed would be an amazing step forward, making firearms only able to shoot when being held by the owner/selected individuals.  would cut down on accidents for sure and i would be all for that as unauthorized individuals should not be allowed to fire a weapon.  
but as far as murders/crimes, it may help but its not a solution.  The weapon isnt the problem its the people.  People will just find another way to kill.  Look at the UK, they are considering banning long kitchen knives because they are used too often in crimes.... so whats next?  Again they are blaming the tool rather than the person.

Well our overall murder rate is substantially higher than in the UK.

Guns are especially effective at killing people, especially the ones that are the focus here.

I did hear some statistics on suicide. With a gun it's 80% effective as it's a fairly simple process that almost certainly results in death.

Other forms of suicide only result in a 20% "success" rate.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Nickrp @ Jan. 22 2013, 8:53 am)
I love how I am called naive because I dont think making something illegal will stop criminals from obtaining it.  

No dumb ass, you're called naive because you think meth heads wait until they become meth heads with a record before attempting to purchase firearms. You're naive because you think the only way to obtain a gun is via an outlet that requires background checks. You're naive because you think it's difficult to obtain a firearm with a criminal record.
 Post Number: 30
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 14 2013, 7:00 pm)
He is right though. It seems a lot of gun owners think their time at the range means they will handle any situation well, but the reality is the pressure of the situation is something they are not going to be able to replicate.

The starring in their own action movie is a pretty accurate description of most gun nuts. Most, not all, but most - generally the loudest ones.

That's too bad. I refused to even consider purchasing a firearm before I had both range training indoors and training with moving targets under stress (here, run up this hill and then try to shoot this moving target at night).

Or go spin for an hour and do practice when you've been at max heart rate for 30 minutes or so and are all shaky.

Should all that be required prior to selling a firearm? Likely not, since it's a constitutional right and not something that is a privilege that can be taken away. Would that all gun owners trained the right way, right?

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
45 replies since Jan. 14 2013, 7:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "Why I Gave Up My Guns"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions