2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: NY Passes Assault Rifle Ban< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 9:41 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well... I guess... kinda. More like feel-good, superficial, window dressing IMO.

Under current state law, assault weapons are defined by having two "military rifle" features. The proposal would reduce that to one feature and include the popular pistol grip.

Private sales of assault weapons to someone other than an immediate family would be subject to a background check through a dealer. Also Internet sales of assault weapons would be banned, and failing to safely store a weapon could be subject to a misdemeanor charge.

Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

In another provision, a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally would be required to report it to a mental health director who would have to notify the state. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

The legislation also increases sentences for gun crimes including the shooting of a first responder that Cuomo called the "Webster provision." Last month in the western New York town of Webster, two firefighters were killed after responding to a fire set by the shooter, who eventually killed himself.

The governor confirmed the proposal, previously worked out in closed session, also would mandate a police registry of assault weapons, grandfathering in assault weapons already in private hands.

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-seal....16.html

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rammed through with apparently no public hearings, probably the most draconian laws in the nation for firearms.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 3
kyle2193 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gun gun, gun gun guns, gun gun, gun gun guns.

The Gun Arena.

--------------
If I cannot swear in heaven I shall not stay there.
-Mark Twain
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Something I hadn't thought about....

Several older guns use 10-round clips, and no 7-round clips will ever be made for them. Since possession of a 10-round clip is illegal, that makes these guns illegal. Here's an example of such a gun (circa 1954)... handed down to my friend by his grandfather.

Since there is no way my friend is going to give up this heirloom, he is now a criminal.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 15 2013, 8:47 am)
Something I hadn't thought about....

Several older guns use 10-round clips, and no 7-round clips will ever be made for them. Since possession of a 10-round clip is illegal, that makes these guns illegal. Here's an example of such a gun (circa 1954)... handed down to my friend by his grandfather.

Since there is no way my friend is going to give up this heirloom, he is now a criminal.

I guess he's got a year, maybe there'll be some fine tuning as they actually think about the legislation.
 Post Number: 6
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As written it sounds like you can have a magazine capable of holding more than seven rounds, but you can't have eight or more in it.

Very odd number to pick unless they were using a revolver (which can also hold more than seven rounds!) as the default.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jan. 15 2013, 9:05 am)
As written it sounds like you can have a magazine capable of holding more than seven rounds, but you can't have eight or more in it.

Very odd number to pick unless they were using a revolver (which can also hold more than seven rounds!) as the default.

For the first year, which is how long they've got to sell them out of state.

7 being less than the current 10 is probably all the "reasoning" that went into that one. 30% Safer!
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jan. 15 2013, 12:05 pm)

I've seen a few interpretations.  It seems like you've got one year to get anything greater than a 7-round mag out of the state.  They do specifically state in other write ups that 8+ round magazines will not be grandfathered.

My guess is that someone who's vote they needed had a cherished 1911 that they didn't want to give up.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jan. 15 2013, 12:05 pm)

A better-written version:

Assault weapons -- defined as any rifle with a "military style" feature, such as a bayonet or a telescoping stock -- that are currently owned would be grandfathered and would have to be registered with the state. Magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds and manufactured before 1994, which are currently legal, would have to be turned over to authorities or sold out of state within one year. If a magazine has a capacity between eight and 10, it would have to be retrofitted to only hold seven rounds.

http://www.usatoday.com/story....1833271

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 15 2013, 9:49 am)
Rammed through with apparently no public hearings, probably the most draconian laws in the nation for firearms.

Didn't you hear? It's an EMERGENCY!

“To basically eradicate assault weapons from our streets in New York as quickly as possible is something the people of this state want and it’s an important thing to do. It is an emergency,” Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver told CBS 2’s Kramer.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013....o:

Also:

Cuomo said he would waive a mandatory three-day aging period for new bills if the Legislature puts the gun measures to a vote. The reason, he said, was in part to give the bill the best chance of passing and part to prevent a potential bump in sales for assault rifles in the period before lawmakers act.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 15 2013, 12:48 pm)

Assault weapons -- defined as any rifle with a "military style" feature, such as a bayonet or a telescoping stock -- that are currently owned would be grandfathered and would have to be registered with the state. Magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds and manufactured before 1994, which are currently legal, would have to be turned over to authorities or sold out of state within one year. If a magazine has a capacity between eight and 10, it would have to be retrofitted to only hold seven rounds.

So the magazine restriction is only for assault weapons? Or does this apply to pistols and rifles like the Ruger 10/22 that come with higher capacity magazines?

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Odds are huge that a firearm of any sort with a ten round magazine IS an "assault weapon" by definition: that single criteria issue. All that takes is one of the "battlefield" metrics along with a bayonet mount, pistol grip or grenade launcher would be a detachable magazine that is capable of containing 8 or more rounds.... as it only takes one of them.

but the dust may settle once some time has passed and all the implications are sorted through.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jan. 15 2013, 1:32 pm)
So the magazine restriction is only for assault weapons? Or does this apply to pistols and rifles like the Ruger 10/22 that come with higher capacity magazines?

All detachable magazines apparently.  I haven't yet found out if tube fed magazines as found in lever action rifles are covered.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jan. 15 2013, 1:32 pm)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 15 2013, 12:48 pm)

The mere possession of a high-capacity magazine is against the law... whether or not you even own a gun.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A fascinating aspect of this ill-conceived bill is that the same folks who advocated for and passed this lunacy complained bitterly and adamantly denied it when pro-gun folks accused them of politicizing a tragedy.

I don't see how this political move could NOT be described as anything but a direct response to the recent school shoooting tragedy and the "emergency" nature of it's passing as not taking political advantage of the tragedy.

And its amazing that once again, an "assault weapon" is defined by purely cosmetic features.  Or in this case a single cosmetic feature.  This bill bans AR-15 clones but a Ruger Ranch Rifle that fires the same round at the same rate of fire is not banned simply because it lacks a pistol grip.  How in the world can a pistol grip be defined as a "military" feature"?!!
 Post Number: 16
N2theWild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You are dealing with the ultimate hypocrites, Ken. It shouldn't come as a surprise.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 17
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad I live where I do.  I'd be breaking the law in NY.  Wouldn't sell my clips or guns.

Are they are going to build more jails to hold everyone?
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think "misdemeanors" get you a fine without jail time?
 Post Number: 19
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It'll be at the Supreme Court before long for sure.

If not this one specifically then some other one.
 Post Number: 20
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NY today, the USA tomorrow.

It looks like the gun nuts were right, they really are going to ban gun ownership (one step at a time).

If they can enact legislation out of fear and hysteria that bans benign cosmetic issues like pistol grips, collapsible stocks, flash suppressors, and barrel shrouds…it should be very easy to take the next step and ban everything. The seven round limitation already covers almost all full size semi-automatic pistols.

Hopefully this is a wake-up call for all the apathetic US subjects in Middle America.

Elections really do have consequences. Sadly, the crackpots of the NRA and the Republicans in the House are only entities protecting the right of citizens to own guns.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 15 2013, 3:13 pm)

At least in NY, misdemeanors may include up to 1 year in jail.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 15 2013, 12:40 pm)

Thanks I didn't know about that.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 15 2013, 3:40 pm)

Lets hope they apply that to willful criminals.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 15 2013, 3:43 pm)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 15 2013, 3:40 pm)

Lets hope they apply that to willful criminals.

We both know that enforcement the law itself is unfeasible. It will only be enforced when said gun is used/discovered as part of some other incident. Is NYS fascist enough to let existing permits, etc. serve as probable cause for search? Not yet.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well the effect is certainly not going to be instantaneous, and in reality few will be locked up, but the effects will start to play in over time as new purchases are halted and slowly some are turned in.

I doubt we'll see many prosecutions for the first few years unless there are some acts of deliberate provocation - which you know are going to happen.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 15 2013, 1:08 pm)
Well the effect is certainly not going to be instantaneous, and in reality few will be locked up, but the effects will start to play in over time as new purchases are halted and slowly some are turned in.

I doubt we'll see many prosecutions for the first few years unless there are some acts of deliberate provocation - which you know are going to happen.

Unless they want to get everyone's attention by setting an early example and per the emergency nature of the bill why expect less than vigorous and early enforcement?
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Because they won't want to get involved in a confrontation with the gun nuts looking to water the tree of liberty.

Confrontation is exactly what a good number of the gun weirdos will want.
 Post Number: 28
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty worthless, just window dressing.

Need to get rid of all semi autos, and it needs to be nationwide to have much of an effect on making guns safer in the hands of a mass killer.

Ineffective controls are worse than no controls because they dampen down the support for real change.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Land Rover @ Jan. 15 2013, 1:23 pm)
Because they won't want to get involved in a confrontation with the gun nuts looking to water the tree of liberty.

Confrontation is exactly what a good number of the gun weirdos will want.

Then they lose against the far better equipped state and the issue is settled.

Win-win.

Why pass legislation just NOT to enforce it?
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jan. 15 2013, 2:03 pm)
And its amazing that once again, an "assault weapon" is defined by purely cosmetic features.  Or in this case a single cosmetic feature.  This bill bans AR-15 clones but a Ruger Ranch Rifle that fires the same round at the same rate of fire is not banned simply because it lacks a pistol grip.  How in the world can a pistol grip be defined as a "military" feature"?!!

The cosmetics argument is pure baloney.  There are good reasons why the US and other militaries first adopted these features - to make a firing platform that can put lots of rounds downrange and maintain control of the weapon. They didn't do it to make soldiers look cool.

--------------
105 replies since Jan. 15 2013, 9:41 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply NY Passes Assault Rifle Ban
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions