2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stunning NRA hypocrisy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After blaming video games for exposing children to violence, the National Rifle Association
has created a shooting game for kids as young as four years old.

The release of NRA: Practice Range, which is available as an iPhone and iPad app, comes one
month after 20 children and six adults were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in
Newtown, Connecticut.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news....7355685

in a somewhat creepy, and certainly tone-deaf, move, the NRA recently launched an iPhone game
app that kids can use to shoot coffin-like targets.

And the game is rated for kids aged “4+” – meaning, 4 year olds and up. Four year olds?
Seriously?

http://americablog.com/2013....ok.html

Just a month after the National Rifle Association's Vice President Wayne LaPierre told the nation that violent video games were to blame for massacres like the one in Newtown, Conn., the organization has released a new game called "NRA: Practice Range."

PHOTOS: One Month Later: Anniversary Of Sandy Hook Shooting Brings Question Of What To Do With School

To throw salt on an open wound, the release of the new game fell on the one-month anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings.

The game, which is billed as appropriate for ages 4 and up, is made for iPhone and iPad devices and is free on iTunes.

http://globalgrind.com/news....4O7d3tb

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

' shoot coffin-like targets.'

' 4 year olds and up'

what a sick twisted organization

--------------
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stunning?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The cited articles have an interestiing definition of the word "violence", and the author an interesting definition of the word "hypocrisy".

I've never seen a coffin with a section just for the head.   It would seem that "coffin-like" is in the eye of the beholder.
 Post Number: 5
N2theWild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Abortion supporter Dennis cares about kids.

LOL Priceless!

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are NO abortion supporters

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sugarcoating your wickedness doesn't fool anybody.

--------------
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, (2 Timothy 4:3)
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jan. 15 2013, 1:52 pm)
The cited articles have an interestiing definition of the word "violence", and the author an interesting definition of the word "hypocrisy".

I've never seen a coffin with a section just for the head.   It would seem that "coffin-like" is in the eye of the beholder.

I find it interesting that anyone wouldn't find it hypocritical to blame video games for
being behind violence in our society and then turing around about a month later and create
a shooting video game for young kids.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(N2theWild @ Jan. 15 2013, 2:08 pm)
Sugarcoating your wickedness doesn't fool anybody.

Explain how believing abortion shouldn't be criminalized in all casees is "wickedness"?

meanwhile you think a woman should be forced to have by the government to have a baby in all
cases including rape and if the woman's life is in danger and yet you don't think that is
wicked eh?

--------------
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well their description:
"
Description
Meet NRA: Practice Range – the NRA’s new mobile nerve center, delivering one-touch access to the NRA network of news, laws, facts, knowledge, safety tips, educational materials and online resources.

SAFETY, TRAINING & EDUCATION
NRA: Practice Range puts the NRA’s broad scope of resources in the palm of your hand – with 2nd Amendment newsfeeds, gun law information centers and educational materials that you can access anywhere, anytime.

Read up on critical safety and training tips!
; Get the latest news and legislation updates!
; Know your rights from state to state!
; Always stay informed!

; TARGET PRACTICE
NRA: Practice Range also offers a 3D shooting game that instills safe and responsible ownership through fun challenges and realistic simulations. It strikes the right balance of gaming and safety education, allowing you to enjoy the most authentic experience possible.

9 firearms
3 immersive shooting ranges
3 distinct difficult levels
Analog & Gyroscope game controls
&#10004; Game Center integration"

Tone deaf release timing for sure. For myself, shooting at depictions of people (with or without blood spatter as some are described as having) is violence, a paper target simulation of one of those round "bulls eye" paper things? not so much.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps this game is more aligned with DTM's philosophy.

https://forum.encyclopediadramatica.se/threads....4

--------------
 Post Number: 12
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't hear anyone complaining about the other shoot em up video / iphone /android / pc /Mac games.  Just the NRA ?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bbobb169

As has been explained over and over and over in those three articles I linked

as has been explained in this thread by me

The NRA made a HUGE point about video games being a significant cause of the violence
in our society and then what do they do? They made such a video game so that is why the
NRA is being focused on.

I mean did the makers of 'shoot em up video / iphone /android / pc /Mac game' make it a point
to go on to national TV like Wayne Lapeiere did and blame video games?

Geez. I mean isn't it obvious? Why is this a difficult concept to understand especially when
it was spelled out crystal clear in this thread starting with the OP?

--------------
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least from the store screen grabs it doesn't look like a shoot 'em up video game in the manner of those army and sci-fi ones they call "first person shooters". Which have the dead bodies and blood spatter etc. and are, to me, very objectionable and "violent".

Were it to really be a paper target simulation then shrug. Heck a step down from Angry Birds.

but then I haven't used the app. Anyone have?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 15 2013, 1:50 pm)
Stunning?

Ok replace it with say "despicable" or "predictable"

--------------
 Post Number: 16
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jan. 15 2013, 1:52 pm)

Wonder if there's a game where settlers are massacred by Mormons dressed as indians?
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Jan. 15 2013, 2:10 pm)
I find it interesting that anyone wouldn't find it hypocritical to blame video games for
being behind violence in our society and then turing around about a month later and create
a shooting video game for young kids.

Clearly this goes back to the perception of what is "violent".  The NRA addressed "violent" video games that depict and glorify the shooting and maiming of people.

MOST people don't consider target shooting in any way "violent" whatsoever.  I emphasized "most" because I acknowledge that some people have a firearms phobia and consequently anything related to firearms is by definition "violent".  Apparently, you are one such.

As an aside, I point out that phobias cannot be addressed by laws banning the object of the phobia.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 15 2013, 4:56 pm)
Wonder if there's a game where settlers are massacred by Mormons dressed as indians?

It never fails.  Some people just cannot resist dragging religion into any discussion.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Jan. 15 2013, 3:03 pm)
The NRA made a HUGE point about video games being a significant cause of the violence
in our society and then what do they do? They made such a video game so that is why the
NRA is being focused on.

This is hilarious.

A product that glamorizes and glorifies the killing and maiming of people is equated with a product that teaches firearm safety.

Geez. I mean isn't it obvious? Why is this a difficult concept to understand especially when
it was spelled out crystal clear in this thread starting with the OP?
It is only "obvious" to the small percentage of people who have an irrational firearm phobia and who equate anything related to firearms to be "violent".

The vast majority of people are much more rational regarding firearms.  Apparently you belong to the small irrational group and thus that which is irrational appears "obvious" and "crystal clear".
 Post Number: 20
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jan. 15 2013, 10:52 am)

What does the shape look like to you Ken?

I've been to several, (3) different ranges on multiple occasions and I've never seen a target like that one before.

ETA - Make that 4 (that I can remember so far)
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jan. 16 2013, 2:25 pm)

I've been to several, (3) different ranges on multiple occasions and I've never seen a target like that one before.

I've seen some targets similar to but not exactly like the ones in the game.  To me, they look like targets that emphasize the areas to hit that result in a "quick stop" of an attacker.

In any event, my point stands.  "Coffin-like" is in the eye of the beholder.   If you want to describe them as coffins, be my guest.  They don't look at all like coffins to me.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kenv said

clearly this goes back to the perception of what is "violent".  The NRA addressed "violent"
video games that depict and glorify the shooting and maiming of people.

MOST people don't consider target shooting in any way "violent" whatsoever.  I emphasized
"most" because I acknowledge that some people have a firearms phobia and consequently
anything related to firearms is by definition "violent".  Apparently, you are one such.

As an aside, I point out that phobias cannot be addressed by laws banning the object of the
phobia.

and Kenv just happens to ignore the "shoot coffin-like targets." part. Ask most people if
they think a video game where the target just happens to look like "coffin-like targets."
has no violent connotation let alone it being appropriate for kids as young as 4 let alone
from an organization that made a bid deal about video game being one of the main culprits
for violence in our society?

Kenv said

This is hilarious.

^^ this is how Kenv overcompensates. Add a little drama to give a particular impression

Kenv said

A product that glamorizes and glorifies the killing and maiming of people is equated with a product that teaches firearm safety.

and that uses "coffin-like targets." and according to Kenv this has not violent connotations.
What are coffins supposed to represent?

Kenv said

It is only "obvious" to the small percentage of people who have an irrational firearm phobia
and who equate anything related to firearms to be "violent".

Said by the king of irrational who is now saying that its 'irrational firearm phobia' to say
that the NRA is hypocritical to put out a video meant for those 4 years old and higher where
target shooting has targets apparently looking like "coffin-like targets." after lecturing
America on how violent video games are very much related to the our country's problems with
violence. That to me seems irrational.

Kenv said

The vast majority of people are much more rational regarding firearms.  Apparently you
belong to the small irrational group and thus that which is irrational appears "obvious" and
"crystal clear".

Kenv sure is using the word "irrational" a lot.

OK Kenv explain exactly how my view is irrational here and of course try to make a rational
argument here.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jan. 16 2013, 11:46 am)

(hbfa @ Jan. 16 2013, 2:25 pm)

I've seen some targets similar to but not exactly like the ones in the game.  To me, they look like targets that emphasize the areas to hit that result in a "quick stop" of an attacker.

I would agree.

i.e. - 4+ year olds shooting at a human-like figure.
My kids are well beyond that age, but I would have no interest in having my 4 y/o shoot at human-like targets.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The following is from the conservative Forbes

It’s not that the content of the game is particularly egregious (other than being an affront
to the concept of video games), it’s that again, the NRA seems exceptionally tone deaf
criticizing games one minute, then making their own and aiming it at four year-olds the
next.

http://www.forbes.com/sites....-and-up

same author also said it looked like "coffin-shaped"

Again this is from a conservative publication and the fact that this author would even
concede that much would seem to indicate my reaction is hardly irrational.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, shooting at targets on a cell phone is just like those role playing combat games on X Box.

Such hypocrites indeed......

That could lead to kids getting an uncontrollably urge to go to the range and shoot coffin shaped targets.  Oh the humanity!
 Post Number: 26
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 16 2013, 3:10 pm)
Yeah, shooting at targets on a cell phone is just like those role playing combat games on X Box.

That could lead to kids getting an uncontrollably urge to go to the range and shoot coffin shaped targets.  Oh the humanity!

Maybe you should grab yourself a copy of ARMA and join the fun?

http://youtu.be/WfOP-n4J_cY

Oh, this isnt for snotty nose kids with their consoles.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 27
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Jan. 16 2013, 8:05 pm)

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 16 2013, 3:10 pm)

Maybe you should grab yourself a copy of ARMA and join the fun?

http://youtu.be/WfOP-n4J_cY

Oh, this isnt for snotty nose kids with their consoles.

Oh, here is part one...sorry

http://youtu.be/58S9VZ3iWv0

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Jan. 16 2013, 3:05 pm)
and Kenv just happens to ignore the "shoot coffin-like targets." part. Ask most people if
they think a video game where the target just happens to look like "coffin-like targets."
has no violent connotation let alone it being appropriate for kids as young as 4 let alone
from an organization that made a bid deal about video game being one of the main culprits
for violence in our society?

OK Kenv explain exactly how my view is irrational here and of course try to make a rational
argument here.

I ignored it?   Hmmm.   I clearly stated (multiple times) that "coffin-like" is in the eye of the beholder.  People with an irrational fear of guns apparently see coffins where there are none.  Fine by me.  I don't see any coffins because there are none in the game.

People with an irrational fear of guns apparently think target shooting is "inappropriate" for 4 yr olds.  Fine by me.  Way back when the original Nintendo game (NES) came out the game included a pair of orange guns for shooting at various targets.  That was in the early 80s.  NES included games for very young children.  That must have been a heartstopper for all the hoplophobes out there.

On a separate note, I doubt many 4 year olds even know what a coffin looks like so it would seem extremely unlikely that a 4 yr old would identify the targets as being "coffin-like".

And finally, the 4 yr old rating was determined not by NRA, but by Apple and it's app store.  If that age rating really has you worked up, take it up with Apple.

Kenv said

and that uses "coffin-like targets." and according to Kenv this has not violent connotations.
What are coffins supposed to represent?
Wow.  You really have a fixation with coffins.  Clu4U, there are no coffins in the game or even "coffin-like" targets.   I previously acknowldege that people with an irrationial fear of guns may see "coffin-like" targets, but that appears to be more a function of the state of the person's mind than of the actual target.

Kenv said

It is only "obvious" to the small percentage of people who have an irrational firearm phobia
and who equate anything related to firearms to be "violent".

Said by the king of irrational who is now saying that its 'irrational firearm phobia' to say
that the NRA is hypocritical to put out a video meant for those 4 years old and higher where
target shooting has targets apparently looking like "coffin-like targets." after lecturing
America on how violent video games are very much related to the our country's problems with
violence. That to me seems irrational.
You're welcome to that opinion.  However, there are no coffins in the game.  None at all.  Those people who see coffins or "coffin-like" tragets in the game also seem to have an irrational fear of guns.  

Kenv said

The vast majority of people are much more rational regarding firearms.  Apparently you
belong to the small irrational group and thus that which is irrational appears "obvious" and
"crystal clear".

Kenv sure is using the word "irrational" a lot.
I certainly am.  Because that is the best word to describe the fear and loathing some people have for an inanimate object the ownership and possession of which also happens to be protected by the Constitution.

argument here.
I believe the fear and loathing you and other hoplophobes display for an inanimate object can only be explained by an irrational aversion to or fear of weapons and/or those who possess/use them.  Further, I believe that hoplophobes whose fear is so strong that they see coffins where there are none are in the grips of a powerfully irrational fear.   If such a fear is not irrational, please tell us what it is.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Jan. 16 2013, 3:23 pm)
The following is from the conservative Forbes

It’s not that the content of the game is particularly egregious (other than being an affront
to the concept of video games), it’s that again, the NRA seems exceptionally tone deaf
criticizing games one minute, then making their own and aiming it at four year-olds the
next.

http://www.forbes.com/sites....-and-up

Hmmmm.  "Tone deaf" equals "stunning hypocrisy" in your world.  And you claim that is rational.  If you say so.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jan. 16 2013, 3:12 pm)
I would agree.

i.e. - 4+ year olds shooting at a human-like figure.

I see "human-like figures" even less than I see "coffin-like" targets.

My kids are well beyond that age, but I would have no interest in having my 4 y/o shoot at human-like targets.
I would agree with you about that.  Nevertheless I have two points:  1) I don't see "human-like targets" and 2) the games seem kind of silly to me and a waste of time.  But the rest of the app looks like it could be useful and maybe even valuable.
42 replies since Jan. 15 2013, 1:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stunning NRA hypocrisy
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions